Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 09:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 28,417,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
For the original Star Wars movie, I would not say it was "for kids," I would use the cliched, "For the kid in all of us."
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 10:16 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,239,527 times
There wasn't enough kid in me to find Jar Jar Binks anything but colossally annoying.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:48 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=XmI7WKrAtqs

Old 10-29-2019, 09:36 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,140,239 times
George Lucas got over his head with the Prequels. Those were disastrous. Too much CGI, too much fluff.

Not sure why he used Natalie Portman as a 14 year queen then 18 year then 21 year old. Weird.

Then he sold out to Disney and was actually thinking that Disney was going to do what he said in terms of story.

He pretty ruined his own saga. He did the same thing with Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. (Holy **** was that movie bad.) Similar to George RR Martin with Game of Thrones. He allowed David and David to completely destroy his saga.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
George Lucas got over his head with the Prequels. Those were disastrous. Too much CGI, too much fluff.
The biggest problem with the prequels: Lucas was king of his world and that point and had no one to tell him no. He was surrounded by Yes Men and Women.

When he was making the original trilogy, he was under a lot of pressure from the studio, he was still young and eager to prove himself, and he had people around him like Gary Kurtz who weren't afraid to say, "No, George. That's a dumb idea."

No matter how smart or powerful you are, you need people in your life who aren't afraid to tell you that you're being an idiot.

Quote:
Then he sold out to Disney and was actually thinking that Disney was going to do what he said in terms of story.
Selling out to Disney was a Golden Parachute for retirement.

Quote:
He did the same thing with Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. (Holy **** was that movie bad.)
I actually liked IJatKotCS. I didn't love it. It ain't a classic. But it was a perfectly fine Indiana Jones movie.

Quote:
Similar to George RR Martin with Game of Thrones. He allowed David and David to completely destroy his saga.
There is no "allowed." Once an author sells the rights to a book, the owner of the rights can do whatever they want with it. The GAME OF THRONES TV show did end a huge non-sensical mess, but you hardly blame Martin for that. Not his fault.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:38 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,660,448 times
Quote:

Not sure why he used Natalie Portman as a 14 year queen then 18 year then 21 year old. Weird.

He pretty ruined his own saga. He did the same thing with Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. (Holy **** was that movie bad.) Similar to George RR Martin with Game of Thrones. He allowed David and David to completely destroy his saga.
I think Lucas should've had more help with his scripts. The story itself was good and solid and made sense, but it was executed pretty badly. The only good movie of the prequels is Episode 3 but they crammed too much into it.

The Jedi finding Anakin in Episode I would've been fine, but at least had Anakin been older like how Padme was, not a little kid. Also, some of Lucas's characters were unneeded. Jar Jar Binks, I'm lookin at ya.

But the overall story of the prequels was pretty fantastic. That's the biggest issue with the Disney Wars films. The acting is better, but the story is garbage. Also, they tried so hard to get the new characters to not be the characters of the prequels, that now the new characters come off as wooden....as if I'm watching auditions for a character instead of a character being themselves. Finn, Poe, and Rey seem to randomly shout their lines and overact at very minimal things at all times and it's distracting. The new characters feel completely soulless, even compared to the prequels.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I think Lucas should've had more help with his scripts. The story itself was good and solid and made sense, but it was executed pretty badly. The only good movie of the prequels is Episode 3 but they crammed too much into it.

The Jedi finding Anakin in Episode I would've been fine, but at least had Anakin been older like how Padme was, not a little kid. Also, some of Lucas's characters were unneeded. Jar Jar Binks, I'm lookin at ya.

But the overall story of the prequels was pretty fantastic.
It was a pretty great vision that utterly failed in execution. Lucas is great at story concept, but he really ought to leave the actual writing to a writer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
That's the biggest issue with the Disney Wars films. The acting is better, but the story is garbage. Also, they tried so hard to get the new characters to not be the characters of the prequels, that now the new characters come off as wooden....as if I'm watching auditions for a character instead of a character being themselves. Finn, Poe, and Rey seem to randomly shout their lines and overact at very minimal things at all times and it's distracting. The new characters feel completely soulless, even compared to the prequels.
Yup.

For all their faults, Episodes I - VI reflect the vision of George Lucas. There is story there with a beginning, middle, and end.

Episodes VII and VIII seem like a manufactured product, designed by committee, no single member of which had a strong vision of the story.

But hey, THE MANDALORIAN looks good.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The biggest problem with the prequels: Lucas was king of his world and that point and had no one to tell him no. He was surrounded by Yes Men and Women.

When he was making the original trilogy, he was under a lot of pressure from the studio, he was still young and eager to prove himself, and he had people around him like Gary Kurtz who weren't afraid to say, "No, George. That's a dumb idea."

No matter how smart or powerful you are, you need people in your life who aren't afraid to tell you that you're being an idiot.

Selling out to Disney was a Golden Parachute for retirement.

I actually liked IJatKotCS. I didn't love it. It ain't a classic. But it was a perfectly fine Indiana Jones movie.

There is no "allowed." Once an author sells the rights to a book, the owner of the rights can do whatever they want with it. The GAME OF THRONES TV show did end a huge non-sensical mess, but you hardly blame Martin for that. Not his fault.
Martin could have focused on finished the books and not writing historical text about the Targaryens. Also, he should have negotiated more creative control on the series.

The last books are not tainted because of the show.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Martin could have focused on finished the books and not writing historical text about the Targaryens.
You're preaching to the choir --- and it's a big choir.

Quote:
Also, he should have negotiated more creative control on the series.
That's rare. Even mega-authors like Stephen King and J.K. Rowling don't have absolute creative control over movies based on their books. They are consulted, but it is often more courtesy than requirement. And at the time Martin sold the rights, he was hardly a mega-author.

Quote:
The last books are not tainted because of the show.
True. But I very much doubt Martin will ever actually finish the series. I'm betting we'll get WINDS OF WINTER some time next year or the year after, and that will be the last book in this series Martin ever publishes on his own. I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong.

Honestly, he needs help. The last two books in his series were ... not great. Not horrible by any means, but his plot is wandering all over the place. He needs to swallow his pride and get a co-author. He'd hardly be the first to do it. Even Harper Lee needed heavy editorial guidance to write TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Honestly, he needs help. The last two books in his series were ... not great. Not horrible by any means, but his plot is wandering all over the place. He needs to swallow his pride and get a co-author. He'd hardly be the first to do it. Even Harper Lee needed heavy editorial guidance to write TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.
I have my doubts. Now, we these 2 HBO prequel shows. I feel like he doesn't know how to end it especially with fans already guessing how he will end it correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies