Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 02:17 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,625,332 times

Advertisements

I'm getting a strong sense of déjà vu...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 02:29 PM

3,536 posts, read 3,738,205 times
I had a friend who was into Star Wars and saw The Phantom Menace in the theater, and I was bored out of my mind. I get why it became popular, though, especially the original release; the visual effects they used in the '70s/early '80s must have been pretty cool for that time period.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:35 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,252,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Not if they would only propagate the television animation following into the movies and television live action. They've built an entirely new young generation with Clone Wars and Rebels that they're just frittering away.

Although I think The Mandalorian might bring them in, inasmuch as the Mandalorian history and background was highly fleshed out in those two animation series. Those kids are far more aware of the Mandalorian saga than are people who have only watched the movies.
I can understand some of the choices made with the sequels, namely reprising the aging cast members one more time. But the separate anthology movies were just more of the OT era, instead of any effort to get kids involved (such as connecting Rebels to a live action movie which would attract young and old fans)

Old 10-21-2019, 03:44 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,625,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
I had a friend who was into Star Wars and saw The Phantom Menace in the theater, and I was bored out of my mind. I get why it became popular, though, especially the original release; the visual effects they used in the '70s/early '80s must have been pretty cool for that time period.
Because it's crap. That movie's a steamer.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:08 AM

22,925 posts, read 28,298,223 times
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/22/enter...lus/index.html

Jon Favreau isn't just making 'Star Wars' content for the nostalgic
Sandra Gonzalez
By Sandra Gonzalez, CNN

Updated 5:09 PM ET, Tue October 22, 2019

(CNN)Disney+'s upcoming live-action series "The Mandalorian" may be set in the "Star Wars" universe, but longtime obsessives aren't the only audience filmmaker Jon Favreau is hoping to reach with the show.

Speaking at Vanity Fair's New Establishment Summit, the "Iron Man" director recounted his conversations with George Lucas, in which the "Star Wars" godfather expressed his desire to keep the franchise's purpose clear.

"[With] 'Star Wars,' part of that responsibility is remembering that part of your audience is a whole generation that's coming of age and, through stories, we express our values to the next generation," Favreau said. "And so one of the things he said was not to lose sight that is the main audience for stories."

While "Star Wars" and stories set in that world are "great for us who grew up with it and feel nostalgic," he said, "you're trying to teach life lessons through the themes and the conflicts that arise among these characters."

In Lucas' thinking, Favreau said, Hollywood westerns helped teach a generation about the values espoused by that film genre.

"The Mandalorian" will debut on Disney+ on November 12, the same date as the service's launch.
The show, about a Mandalorian bounty hunter played by Pedro Pascal, required a nearly $100 million investment from Disney, according to Disney CEO Bob Iger.

Even with a hefty corporate backing like that, Favreau said he feels the most responsibility to viewers, which includes a famously opinionated fandom.

"I don't feel the pressure except to the audience that's seeing what I'm making and I feel that pressure every time," he said. "And I think -- much like the chefs I learned from when I was training to play that role -- there's a certain stripe of personality that are attracted to telling stories, which is you want to do something, but the experience isn't complete until the people that eat the meal/watch the show/watch the movie, reacts to it."

Iger declined to say how many subscribers have signed up for Disney+ in its pre-launch phase but said "we're optimistic."

"There are numbers that mean success, but we're in this for the long run. We're don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves in a speculation about what it will launch with, but we're not in any way going to feed that speculation."

Old 10-23-2019, 11:47 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,651,580 times
That's because the ST wasn't George Lucas' vision and instead, just random fan-fiction-like films with no actual direction whatsoever. The fact that they're having to bring back Palpatine for some reason (even though he's supposed to be dead) in the last movie of this trilogy is very...jarring. And it ruins Anakin/Vader's arc to shoehorn this random girl to defeat her supposed grandfather...Palpatine.

The whole thing is just a mess and there's no actual point to the ST besides Disney making $$$

Old 10-23-2019, 01:34 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,094,472 times
I saw youtube news clip in which they stated that they have 6 different endings and are still re-shooting some scenes.

Old 10-23-2019, 06:25 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,146,101 times
The Original Star Wars was kiddie level entertainment, made distinctive by a great leap forward in special effects. What followed has never risen above the level of kiddie entertainment, and today special effects are taken for granted.

Lucas said at the outset that his inspiration was the serial movies of the '40's and '50's. Those were unsophisticated in story and in budget. Lucas added the budget.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:27 AM

22,925 posts, read 28,298,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The Original Star Wars was kiddie level entertainment, made distinctive by a great leap forward in special effects. What followed has never risen above the level of kiddie entertainment, and today special effects are taken for granted.

Lucas said at the outset that his inspiration was the serial movies of the '40's and '50's. Those were unsophisticated in story and in budget. Lucas added the budget.
Yes and no. His inspiration was the old movie serials. But it was also mythology and samurai movies. The original STAR WARS was definitely for kids, but not in the same way movies are "for kids" today. It was intended to to lift kids up, not talk down to them. Today, kids' movies largely talk down. They have all the smarts and depth of a cereal box puzzle. And yes, I would include Episodes VII and VIII in that assessment. In fact, I have seen cereal boxes with more intelligence than Episode VIII.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:37 AM

28,682 posts, read 18,816,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yes and no. His inspiration was the old movie serials. But it was also mythology and samurai movies. The original STAR WARS was definitely for kids, but not in the same way movies are "for kids" today. It was intended to to lift kids up, not talk down to them. Today, kids' movies largely talk down. They have all the smarts and depth of a cereal box puzzle. And yes, I would include Episodes VII and VIII in that assessment. In fact, I have seen cereal boxes with more intelligence than Episode VIII.

For the original Star Wars movie, I would not say it was "for kids," I would use the cliched, "For the kid in all of us."

Lucas followed the best given advice for a writer: Write the story you would want to read; you're not so unique that others won't want to read it as well.

Doing that, one automatically avoids "talking down"--and I totally agree with you on that issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies