Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 03:37 PM

52 posts, read 102,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Sure there is. I don't believe any of this. Anyways, the article itself says that the country's leaders themselves never asked for these artifacts to be delivered, and I'm sure a hearing at the next UN council would sufficed. I stand to believe the reasons why most of these world leaders are happy with the way things are, is because these artifacts are safer in the museums of England or Germany at the time being until the conflicts of Africa stop. And I highly doubt they have anything China wants. In fact, I call bull on that entire article.

Spoiler
She could have just said another American boy to heal instead. If anything, it would have a been a bigger accomplishment, being able to do something that the supposed "most powerful and advanced country in the world" couldn't do.

But, either way, kudos to Jack Kirby, who is the real hero in all of this. He was the one that was the mastermind behind The Black Panther.

And I look forward to seeing T'Challa join Steve and Tony,and I hope we get to see him interact with Rocket, and here's to hoping a little romance will brew between Shuri and Bucky
Movie Black Panther is heavily based on Christopher Priest and Reginald Hudlin's run as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 03:53 PM

51,010 posts, read 24,507,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That viewpoint is either a luxury, a naiveté, or a denial.
I would say it's a personal freedom to define yourself, as an individual, in whatever way you wish.

When I go to a motion picture, I don't say to myself, "I'm a white man, therefore I should go to movies that help define my whiteness". When I go to "Black Panther" in the next few days, I hope I will go thinking that I will be entertained and that I will learn something outside of my comfort zone.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:36 PM

28,701 posts, read 18,870,464 times
[quote=personone;51088066]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post

Yeah, I don't understand the term "Fake AA," although I'm viewing it from an outsiders' perspective since I'm not African American. I think it would be accurate to say that Obama had a different experience than many AA's who grew up in the country, but that is different than "Fake" to me. I wouldn't use that term to describe his experience.

I also wasn't as thrilled with the Teaser Trailer, although I thought the Official Trailer was really good, and more importantly, the movie ended up being really good.
You didn't actually notice that I put "fake" in quotes--or you don't understand what it means to do that. And you didn't read that I said it was unfair to characterize Obama as fake.

Clearly, you were just triggered and made a kneejerk response.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:48 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,483,692 times
[quote=Ralph_Kirk;51089973]
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

You didn't actually notice that I put "fake" in quotes--or you don't understand what it means to do that. And you didn't read that I said it was unfair to characterize Obama as fake.

Clearly, you were just triggered and made a kneejerk response.
Sure you meant it that way. . Whatever gets you through the day my brother.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:04 PM

406 posts, read 289,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Yes, but (like most of us) he’s seeing his experience as more universal than it actually is. He doesn’t seem to realize that most dark-skinned Africans don’t primarily see themselves as black, they see themselves as Hutu or Masai or Kikuyu (just as most light-skinned people in Europe primarily see themselves as French or German or British), and they aren’t going to necessarily sympathize with the plight of people on another continent just because they both have the same skin color.
  • I disagree that he is false extrapolating from his experience. Killmonger is cognizant that racism, colonialism, and slavery (and the social consequences of them) is a worldwide phenomenon that has adverse effects on people with black skin.
  • Yes, black isn't necessarily a marker for nationality. One may live in Italy, identify as Italian, and still be black. Likewise, Wakandans see themselves as just Wakandans (but they still deal with the issues of blackness). So it's not that Killmonger does not realize this, he just does not agree with isolationist ways of Wakanda, given its vast resources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Obama is kinda fake. What he knows about being a "black American" is what he learned after grad school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Yes, he's about as a true Black American as Obama is.
There is NOT - one - black experience.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:05 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,440,615 times
It was an excellent movie. Let's not turn this movie into a negative when in fact it is very positive and needed in the culture.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:11 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,302,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol. this made me giggle. I'm Black and never knew there was a true "black American". which begs me to ask, is there a "fake" black American?
I'm white, and I was wondering exactly the same thing when I read that?

It's like an election when biased candidates start talking about 'real Americans' vs. the 'others' who are not real.

Why is Obama not a real black American?

Old 02-20-2018, 06:27 PM

28,701 posts, read 18,870,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I would say it's a personal freedom to define yourself, as an individual, in whatever way you wish.
You mean like Rachel Dolezal? How'd that eventually work out for her?

Old 02-20-2018, 06:48 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,908,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
It was an excellent movie. Let's not turn this movie into a negative when in fact it is very positive and needed in the culture.
Agreed. This has turned into a completely different thread topic. We should get back to discussing how awesome this movie was

Old 02-20-2018, 08:16 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,187,173 times
I saw it once today - and plan to see it at least once more this weekend. I can't wait for the BR to be released, it will definitely be in my collection.

I felt so good seeing this movie, and not JUST because it was a good movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies