Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 11:26 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,964,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Spoiler
We could assume he was sending out more than just guns, as you would need more than that to be successful. Of course that was just the beginning stage of his plan. It was clear he was going to use all the resources of Wakanda to uplift black people and help them fight.

As for killing black people while in the military, it wasn't like he was randomly killing any and everybody. He just admitted he killed while in the military, some of whom were black people. He was learning the skills of what it took to be successful in his mission of overthrowing governments and whatnot. He was going to use those skills to eventually overthrow white nations, or what he saw as oppressive powers, and empower black people.

Even if we aren't comfortable with this violent plan, at least he was about the business of lifting black people all over the world. They could still heal people with vibranium. Those heart herbs were only for gaining the power of Black Panther.

As for the article, Killmonger didn't represent black men, he represented all of Black America. They portrayed us as wild animals. Killmonger killed both men and women. The women he fought were warriors. What was Killmonger supposed to do, let the women kill him? So no, he wasn't misogynist, and he represented all black Americans. It's a negative view, and I have a problem with how Killmonger was portrayed in that light.
Spoiler
Killmonger killed his girlfriend. Right before Klue. He threatened elderly women just doing their jobs. That is a sign of an egomaniac.

Nakia had the same criticisms of Wakanda as Killmonger did, amd she was working on sharing the nation's propserity as well.

I didn't see Killmonger as a symbol of Black America. He was a messenger plain and simple. Hopefully Wakandans get the message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 12:02 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,473,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Spoiler
Killmonger killed his girlfriend. Right before Klue. He threatened elderly women just doing their jobs. That is a sign of an egomaniac.

Nakia had the same criticisms of Wakanda as Killmonger did, amd she was working on sharing the nation's propserity as well.

I didn't see Killmonger as a symbol of Black America. He was a messenger plain and simple. Hopefully Wakandans get the message.
Spoiler
Killmonger's girlfriend was all in with the plan. If the roles were reversed, she would have killed Killmonger. Her saying she was sorry was letting Killmonger know it was okay to kill her if it meant the success of the plan. That was the understanding of that scene. Killmonger didn't kill her for any demented reasons, or that he wanted to do it. He was just committed to the plan of getting into Wakanda, and using it's resources to level the playing field for black folk.

As for the elders, again he bossed everyone around. He killed Forrest Whitaker's character because he interfered in his fight with T'Challa. If it were elderly men questioning him, he would have done the same to them. This isn't a men vs women thing. The women in the nation of Wakanda were equals with the men. So it would be more sexist than anything else, if we were to say we had to treat the women differently than a man in the same positions.

When it comes to Nakia, yeah you're right she had criticisms of her nation. Yet by the end of the movie,
all she was willing to do was set up a charity outreach. Killmonger was going to open up all the resources to black people, whereas the best she can do is charity. I'd still rather Killmonger's approach because that is what black people need.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Spoiler
Killmonger's girlfriend was all in with the plan. If the roles were reversed, she would have killed Killmonger. Her saying she was sorry was letting Killmonger know it was okay to kill her if it meant the success of the plan. That was the understanding of that scene. Killmonger didn't kill her for any demented reasons, or that he wanted to do it. He was just committed to the plan of getting into Wakanda, and using it's resources to level the playing field for black folk.

As for the elders, again he bossed everyone around. He killed Forrest Whitaker's character because he interfered in his fight with T'Challa. If it were elderly men questioning him, he would have done the same to them. This isn't a men vs women thing. The women in the nation of Wakanda were equals with the men. So it would be more sexist than anything else, if we were to say we had to treat the women differently than a man in the same positions.

When it comes to Nakia, yeah you're right she had criticisms of her nation. Yet by the end of the movie,
all she was willing to do was set up a charity outreach. Killmonger was going to open up all the resources to black people, whereas the best she can do is charity. I'd still rather Killmonger's approach because that is what black people need.
Spoiler
But as revealed at the end Wakanda decided to tell the world they had resources. Whether that is the right approach remains to be seen, but it is clear the encounters with Killmonger changed the course of the country. They started a charity in Oakland and went to the UN.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:25 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,473,624 times
Quote:
Spoiler
But as revealed at the end Wakanda decided to tell the world they had resources. Whether that is the right approach remains to be seen, but it is clear the encounters with Killmonger changed the course of the country. They started a charity in Oakland and went to the UN.
Spoiler
On the surface that seems good. However Killmonger was all about black people first and foremost. That is what is needed to level the playing field. When T'Challa goes to the UN, he's talking about spreading his resources to all nations, which mostly means white nations because that is who will benefit first. It will be a "Trickle Down" effect, where black people will get the crumbs after developed nations have feasted. Killmonger was about giving black people an advantage, to control their destiny. T'Challa is about maintaining the status quo.

Of course I'm getting into the political side of the movie here, but black people don't need charity. We need straight up resources to develop our lives like it's seen in Wakanda. Charity could mean anything, especially in a symbolic sense. Charity could be buying a homeless person a burger. Killmonger was going to open it all up to black people.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:58 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,570,005 times
The movie, while good, did have a ton of messages that I did pick up on.

Spoiler
I get the Kilmonger/Wakanda debate which is a good one. One thing I saw was the CIA agent being put in a hero's role. What? There's no such thing as a good CIA agent. He was better off just passing away not shooting down/destroying what represented "neccessary benefits" that would help sway a balance of power to melanated people around the world.

I get it that they probably had to put that in there in order to get that approved or something but the right people can learn from it I guess. We all know the CIA has a proud history of shooting down anything that would benefit POCs. The plan is only as good as the means of carrying it out and watch out for those who will turn on your plan.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Spoiler
On the surface that seems good. However Killmonger was all about black people first and foremost. That is what is needed to level the playing field. When T'Challa goes to the UN, he's talking about spreading his resources to all nations, which mostly means white nations because that is who will benefit first. It will be a "Trickle Down" effect, where black people will get the crumbs after developed nations have feasted. Killmonger was about giving black people an advantage, to control their destiny. T'Challa is about maintaining the status quo.

Of course I'm getting into the political side of the movie here, but black people don't need charity. We need straight up resources to develop our lives like it's seen in Wakanda. Charity could mean anything, especially in a symbolic sense. Charity could be buying a homeless person a burger. Killmonger was going to open it all up to black people.
Spoiler
I agree that we need resources, but I do not see the guns being that resource. In my opinion distributing the wealth of Wakanda to the black diaspora would be most effective. Money buys influence and levels the playing field, not guns. And that would have gone a lot further.

I mean assuming that the wealth of Wakanda is virtually limitless, why not buy shares in all of the key companies, buy real estate, create well funded black owned banks and help with wealth creation. Killing white people isn't going to do a whole lot.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:06 PM

406 posts, read 289,446 times
  • With an $108mil second weekend - which is the second largest second weekend ever - Black Panther now has $400mil stateside.
  • With $300mil overseas - and China and Japan soon to come - the film is outpacing Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 and Thor Ragnarok.
It seems BP will clear $1biillion. The question is now, how far above it will it go?

Old 02-25-2018, 07:00 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,065,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
  • With an $108mil second weekend - which is the second largest second weekend ever - Black Panther now has $400mil stateside.
  • With $300mil overseas - and China and Japan soon to come - the film is outpacing Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 and Thor Ragnarok.
It seems BP will clear $1biillion. The question is now, how far above it will it go?
I see you are in The Bay Area. I'm sure the buzz around there is great considering that's where the director is from!

Old 02-25-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I see you are in The Bay Area. I'm sure the buzz around there is great considering that's where the director is from!
I live in Oakland. The audience cheered at the opening scenes.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:26 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,891,087 times
Quote:
His means were off. Arming everyon is a dumb idea. That doesn't mean his intentions were a problem. His methids sucked, but I think he still had an impact on the outcomes.
His intention was for Wakanda to rule the world and for himself to rule Wakanda, with no chance of opposition or succession
Spoiler
(which was the point of burning all the heart-shaped leaves).
Why was that not a problem?

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 02-26-2018 at 03:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies