Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Star Wars: The Last Jedi become all-time tops in ticket sales?
Yes 2 6.67%
No 28 93.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 08:17 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I think the Star Wars brand has been diluted a little.
I said this would happen when Disney bought the franchise. Star Wars releases were once such a big deal because they were so rare. The kind of hype and excitement everyone experienced before Star Wars and then before The Phantom Menace and then for The Force Awakens was a once-in-a-generation kind of thing. That's why it was so special.

However, now that Disney seems to have an endless stream of Star Wars content from new Saga films to spinioffs to TV shows, it's lost some of that specialness. It's still very popular, no doubt, but its becoming something more along the lines of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It has it's hardcore fans and anything that comes out is going to be a wild success, but they won't be able to replicate the hype and success of the first two trilogies and The Force Awakens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 08:33 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I said this would happen when Disney bought the franchise. Star Wars releases were once such a big deal because they were so rare. The kind of hype and excitement everyone experienced before Star Wars and then before The Phantom Menace and then for The Force Awakens was a once-in-a-generation kind of thing. That's why it was so special.

However, now that Disney seems to have an endless stream of Star Wars content from new Saga films to spinioffs to TV shows, it's lost some of that specialness. It's still very popular, no doubt, but its becoming something more along the lines of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It has it's hardcore fans and anything that comes out is going to be a wild success, but they won't be able to replicate the hype and success of the first two trilogies and The Force Awakens.
That's interesting that you mention the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I was kind of thinking that Marvel has seemed to steal a lot of the thunder from movies like Star Wars. Marvel seems to be the new rage for the casual movie fan and for those comic/sci-fi films, it seems like if it isn't a Marvel film, it doesn't seem to get much hype from the casual fan.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:57 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I think the Star Wars brand has been diluted a little. There really wasn't a lot of media hype around this movie. I'm sure it won at the box office, but there just isn't a lot of hype around it. I didn't even really see a whole lot of commercials/trailers on tv. As an example, Thor Rangonrak in general seemed to have a lot more media hype, more commercials, and in general just more all around buzz.

I plan on seeing it, but I've heard it's only ok. Many of my friends who are movie nuts haven't even seen it yet and don't seem super excited to see it, which is why I probably don't feel the buzz I expected. Hopefully it will be good. I was born in the 80s, so still have nostalgia for the originals lol.
No hype, you say... Had a "Don't be spoiled" tv spot this week, "see it tonight" spots aired Thursday it did, had Nissan Rogue themed ads all over football games, a 96% critic Tomattometer score they did. hmmm... Maybe miss hype you did.

I do think you maybe right though, in pockets of the movie community, Solo is very anticipated, more so than The Last Jedi. Why, I don't know because I was excited for this movie and to me it fully delivered. All I know is if I was in charge of Walt Disney, I would push for the three year window for the Saga films with a full year of teasers, trailers, etc. I actually was tired of the ads from football today and I saw the movie Thursday night and plan to see it at least once more. Seemed like they were on every break today...

Old 12-18-2017, 05:34 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No hype, you say... Had a "Don't be spoiled" tv spot this week, "see it tonight" spots aired Thursday it did, had Nissan Rogue themed ads all over football games, a 96% critic Tomattometer score they did. hmmm... Maybe miss hype you did.

I do think you maybe right though, in pockets of the movie community, Solo is very anticipated, more so than The Last Jedi. Why, I don't know because I was excited for this movie and to me it fully delivered. All I know is if I was in charge of Walt Disney, I would push for the three year window for the Saga films with a full year of teasers, trailers, etc. I actually was tired of the ads from football today and I saw the movie Thursday night and plan to see it at least once more. Seemed like they were on every break today...
The nine-movie Skywalker Saga was practically a promise made long, long ago, when Lucas first mentioned he'd originally had that idea. So it's kind of a "you gotta do it" proposition.

But the Internet also changes how such things can be done. How in the universe of the Internet, for instance, could Disney have kept a reveal like "I am your father" from being spoiled? So movies themselves must change--what could be done before can't be done now.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:50 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
We went to the Friday night showing. It was sold out. I have no doubt the movie will have a stellar opening weekend. Next weekend should tell the true tale though.

I am a STAR WARS fan. A nerd in fact. But if word of mouth means anything: You can stay home and wait for the DVD on this one. Major disappointment. Another paint-by-numbers movie that isn't nearly as good as the last one. Rian Johnson really fumbled this one. A crime, because he has such a great cast. But even without Jar Jar, THE LAST JEDI may end up being my least favorite STAR WARS film. It's a mess.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:59 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,714 times
Well, I totally disagree I loved it! I thought the last one was a big disappointment. This one at least had something new to offer and wasn't a rehash of all the Star Wars movies. And why think that these storylines are not going anywhere? Is the storyline over??? Unless you can see into the future you really don't know where it's going.

I love that you have two main characters and it's possible that they could switch sides. Rey goes to the dark and Ben to the light. That would be interesting to me. My only compliant would be that everyone seemed to have a "Han Solo" sense of humor.

I want to know everyone's thoughts on who Rey's parents are. I believe that mirror only showed her because she makes her own destiny. What Ben saw is what she believes it true.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:29 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
This one at least had something new to offer and wasn't a rehash of all the Star Wars movies.
It was a rehash of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and RETURN OF THE JEDI. Not only plot-point for plot-point in places, but even the same basic setting and outcome.

Quote:
And why think that these storylines are not going anywhere? Is the storyline over???
I'm saying THIS story went nowhere. Kylo is bad. No, he's good. No wait; he's bad again. His only consistent personality factor is petulance. The other characters have similar problems, as does the overall conflict. What do the bad guys want in this movie? What do the good guys want? I'm not sure. Other than the bad guys are mean and the good guys are nice, and they fight. A lot.

Quote:
I want to know everyone's thoughts on who Rey's parents are.
I hope it's true, because I loved it. It is exactly who I wanted her parents to be. I'm tired of quasi-royalty of STAR WARS. Power to the people!

Old 12-18-2017, 09:40 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It was a rehash of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and RETURN OF THE JEDI. Not only plot-point for plot-point in places, but even the same basic setting and outcome.

I'm saying THIS story went nowhere. Kylo is bad. No, he's good. No wait; he's bad again. His only consistent personality factor is petulance. The other characters have similar problems, as does the overall conflict. What do the bad guys want in this movie? What do the good guys want? I'm not sure. Other than the bad guys are mean and the good guys are nice, and they fight. A lot.

I hope it's true, because I loved it. It is exactly who I wanted her parents to be. I'm tired of quasi-royalty of STAR WARS. Power to the people!
Let's just agree to disagree...on all of it.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:03 AM

240 posts, read 253,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The nine-movie Skywalker Saga was practically a promise made long, long ago, when Lucas first mentioned he'd originally had that idea. So it's kind of a "you gotta do it" proposition.

But the Internet also changes how such things can be done. How in the universe of the Internet, for instance, could Disney have kept a reveal like "I am your father" from being spoiled? So movies themselves must change--what could be done before can't be done now.
Two of the top five highest-grossing movie openings have been The Force Awakens (#1) and The Last Jedi (#5). I'm honestly curious if their openings were so huge partly because people rushed to see them out of fear for spoilers (I know several people, including myself, who went to the first showing of TLJ on Thursday to kill the threat of spoilers.)

Old 12-20-2017, 05:29 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
When I was young, Star Wars was kind of nerdy but in a cool culturally prominent way. Now... its a geek fest and I feel sorry for this generation that wants to cling to it to help give themselves an identity and feel relevant. But they have no idea just how lame and creatively vacant the whole franchise has become. Its a huge soulless production of warmed over stale ideas and plots with extremely insipid actors trying to portray would be iconic characters. And the only way they can get them out from under the shadow of the original movies is to kill off the original actors or despoil them in unforgivable ways.
Well, I wouldn't go that far but for me, with all the excitement that it seems that everyone else has, I am wondering if I am the only one who is not really interested.

Once upon a time, I was. When The Return of the Jedi came out, I was there at 6 AM, in line, to see the 10, was it 11?, movie.

That time, however, has long since passed and I don't watch movies in the theatre anymore except on family outings. The thing with Star Wars is two piece.....and then one more.

First of all, the screaming of the audience with a Star Wars movie is not my idea of fun anymore. Secondly, how an audience behaves now about any movie is not my idea of a way to relax.

THEN, there is the repeated demonstration of how this franchise likes to milk the flicks for everything they can. That puts a rather sour, no puns intended, taste in my mouth about supporting them at the theater.

They did it when the Prequels came out by advertising on TV the reissue of the first three. "For we want to give you a chance to see what you missed before the new ones." NONSENSE! I said in my own humble opinion.......you just want to make an extra buck.

The constant re editing doesn't dissuade me from that view.

So it may indeed be the greatest grosser but if it is, it probably will not be because of its first reception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies