Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 04:35 AM

246 posts, read 230,567 times

Advertisements

I am curious why JJ Abrams did not follow the Star Wars Expanded Universe Novels aka Post Return of the Jedi to film the Dark Awakens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 04:56 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCE-DARKNESS View Post
I am curious why JJ Abrams did not follow the Star Wars Expanded Universe Novels aka Post Return of the Jedi to film the Dark Awakens?
As Lucas alluded to, Disney basically created a retro version of Episode IV. I think Disney figured it would aim for a sure thing.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:04 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
There's a better reason: Most of the novels are not very good.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:24 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
I only ever read a couple, way back in the '80s. One was Han Solo at Stars' End. I read it because the first trilogy was history and Han's by far the most interesting character of the Star Wars mythos.

I also read one of the Lando novels. Not bad. But I ventured away from fiction based on existing film properties.

I heard Zahn's novels were good. Those are the ones that get name-dropped the most, it seems.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:14 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Because there really was little need to do so, and plenty of need not to do so.

The novels are but a small bit of the Star Wars fortune. The vast majority of the value of the franchise is in the films. After that, toys and calendars and whatnot. What's the worst that happens - future sales of books that have already sold most of the copies they were ever going to sell are somewhat diminished?

On the other hand, every novel partly constrains future potential plots by necessitating agreement. By disregarding the novels, Disney was completely free to plot the latest film (and subsequent ones) with only the previous films as canon. The upside from this dwarfs whatever little bit might be lost from not being faithful to the novels.

Really, it was a no-brainer.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:40 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
It also allows them to mine said novels for plot points and characters, which will then be subject to however much tweakery is required to serve the new movies.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:48 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Because then it wouldn't have been Abrams vision of Star Wars. It would have been someone else's vision.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:09 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
It is because we would need to re-canonize them (mind you the Expanded Universe was changed to being legends) and give movie goers and not fans who buy graphic novels or books and read them. It gives far too much "homework" for movie goers. I complain about this when it comes to say Marvel or DC has prelude comics. At least those are basically "extra credit."

I do like how ideas from the Expanded Universe were re-canonized but in their own way to fit the story. That said, it would be confusing to fans of that. Kylo Ren in ways is Jacen Solo but renamed Ben.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
As Lucas alluded to, Disney basically created a retro version of Episode IV. I think Disney figured it would aim for a sure thing.
Well yeah but let's remember something. Star Wars: Episode VIII will be released on the 40th anniversary of Star Wars. As much as you and I have seen it, you gotta know that some kids out there never even saw the prequels. I'm old enough to only see the originals in theater due to the Special Edition. Anyone who was 2 or younger at the time Revenge of the Sith, never saw a Star Wars movie the way they were meant to be seen (Star Wars: The Clone Wars and The Phantom Menace 3-D re-release don't count as no one wanted to see those.)

Old 12-31-2015, 02:24 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It is because we would need to re-canonize them (mind you the Expanded Universe was changed to being legends) and give movie goers and not fans who buy graphic novels or books and read them. It gives far too much "homework" for movie goers. I complain about this when it comes to say Marvel or DC has prelude comics. At least those are basically "extra credit."

I do like how ideas from the Expanded Universe were re-canonized but in their own way to fit the story. That said, it would be confusing to fans of that. Kylo Ren in ways is Jacen Solo but renamed Ben.

Well yeah but let's remember something. Star Wars: Episode VIII will be released on the 40th anniversary of Star Wars. As much as you and I have seen it, you gotta know that some kids out there never even saw the prequels. I'm old enough to only see the originals in theater due to the Special Edition. Anyone who was 2 or younger at the time Revenge of the Sith, never saw a Star Wars movie the way they were meant to be seen (Star Wars: The Clone Wars and The Phantom Menace 3-D re-release don't count as no one wanted to see those.)
Ugh. Fair point. Here I am thinking how crazy it is to kill off Han because it's the original cast who is drawing the crowds back (and for folks like you and me, that's true), but I'm realizing that the younger kids are starting with Episode VII, so they'll be content with just Finn or Rey running the show. Not me.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:34 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Ugh. Fair point. Here I am thinking how crazy it is to kill off Han because it's the original cast who is drawing the crowds back (and for folks like you and me, that's true), but I'm realizing that the younger kids are starting with Episode VII, so they'll be content with just Finn or Rey running the show. Not me.
I dunno. My daughter is 9 and she cried for 20 minutes after Han died. But then again, I have raised her right, and she has seen the original trilogy at least half a dozen times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies