Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 02:51 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCE-DARKNESS View Post
I am curious why JJ Abrams did not follow the Star Wars Expanded Universe Novels aka Post Return of the Jedi to film the Dark Awakens?
How many movies made from novels are ever true to the novels?

It's not important. It's meaningless. Movies offer a much different experience than reading books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 09:48 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Was it even JJ's decision? I thought it was Disney who decided to make all the expanded universe stuff non-canon so they could build a fresh empire and own all the rights.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:51 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCE-DARKNESS View Post
I am curious why JJ Abrams did not follow the Star Wars Expanded Universe Novels aka Post Return of the Jedi to film the Dark Awakens?
Because Disney sucks. Lucas recently calls them White Slavers. It's the new politically correct circa 2015 edition of Star Wars "a New Hope."

Old 12-31-2015, 09:56 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I dunno. My daughter is 9 and she cried for 20 minutes after Han died. But then again, I have raised her right, and she has seen the original trilogy at least half a dozen times.
Tell you daughter that Harrison Ford is very happy to get off this version of SW which is he has no business being in.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:14 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Ugh. Fair point. Here I am thinking how crazy it is to kill off Han because it's the original cast who is drawing the crowds back (and for folks like you and me, that's true), but I'm realizing that the younger kids are starting with Episode VII, so they'll be content with just Finn or Rey running the show. Not me.
I was back because it was Star Wars then hearing that Hammil, Fisher and Ford were back, it was a shut up and take my money already. Which Disney and my local theater did three times. I did hate the December release date though (even though the first one was pushed back to May five months later from an original December '76 release.)

Quote:
I dunno. My daughter is 9 and she cried for 20 minutes after Han died. But then again, I have raised her right, and she has seen the original trilogy at least half a dozen times.
I heard about Solo being a character that COULD die as early as mid 2014 on then AMC Jedi Council (now Collider Jedi Council) and so I wasn't exactly surprised by it. That said, at first I thought it was going to be an Armageddon death where Han stays on Starkiller planet to set off the bombs. However the twist with Ben killing him while predictable once the set up happened, still tugged my heart-strings and was cut amazingly.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:21 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Because Disney sucks. Lucas recently calls them White Slavers. It's the new politically correct circa 2015 edition of Star Wars "a New Hope."
Lucas has a LOT of room to talk about crapping on Disney. One he SOLD IT TO THEM. If he feared that could happen, he shouldn't have sold it to the mouse house. Two, Lucas edited his film time and time and time again. He's had more cuts than The Watchmen considering the changes in each release of his films. Granted, I don't mind most of the changes as much as others (though I do not like no nub-yub and "Hi, I'm Hayden Christinsen" nor the obvious CGI Jedi Rocks) there have been a lot over the years including Lucas to say Han never shot first at all. I don't care what anyone has to think of Disney, Lucas signed off on it and did much worse with producing the prequels which besides Sith, are all but universally hated (not by me but by most Star Wars fans.) This movie was the original movies and yet we still hear complaints.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:25 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Lucas has a LOT of room to talk about crapping on Disney. One he SOLD IT TO THEM. If he feared that could happen, he shouldn't have sold it to the mouse house. Two, Lucas edited his film time and time and time again. He's had more cuts than The Watchmen considering the changes in each release of his films. Granted, I don't mind most of the changes as much as others (though I do not like no nub-yub and "Hi, I'm Hayden Christinsen" nor the obvious CGI Jedi Rocks) there have been a lot over the years including Lucas to say Han never shot first at all. I don't care what anyone has to think of Disney, Lucas signed off on it and did much worse with producing the prequels which besides Sith, are all but universally hated (not by me but by most Star Wars fans.) This movie was the original movies and yet we still hear complaints.
Lucas can B and moan as much as wants. He can wipe his tears with his $4B. I lost respect for him selling out to the mouse. Disney SUCKS. Walt wasn't looking to turn it into this.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:28 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,041 times
Quote:
It should be a requirement for all Padawans to watch all 6 before they see VII!!

PS- My daughter cried, too. She was so upset he died, and thought Leia wasn't very emotional over it! Can't say I disagree.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:35 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
You know, if I sold my ultra-successful science fiction franchise for, say,

FOUR BILLION DOLLARS

— then I'd happily deposit the check and go right into my office and begin creating something entirely new, from the ground up.

George seems to have forgotten his name IS "George Lucas." He can do whatever he wants. #firstworldproblems

A little late to be complaining, Luca$. And all the crap you inserted into the first trilogy in post stunk.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:00 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
There's been mention of Lucas crying of spilled milk/sour grapes - but I can't find any real tangible reference to it. I found one article( ‘Star Wars’ Controversy: Is George Lucas Out of Line?) but to be honest it looks like they are trying to make a mountain of a mole hill.

I never got the whole "letter of the law" that die hards always complain about. They do it to the nth degree with Star Trek (and omg they wet themselves over the movie reboot). The movie was AWESOME and I thought the continuity was enough to pay respect to the first 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies