Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Star Wars: The Last Jedi become all-time tops in ticket sales?
Yes 2 6.67%
No 28 93.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 11:45 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Advertisements

It is an OK film, but not great. Lots of continuity and other errors. The penguin potatoes were as annoying as the Ewoks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 06:59 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It is an OK film, but not great. Lots of continuity and other errors. The penguin potatoes were as annoying as the Ewoks.
I’d say they’re the least of the movie’s problems.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:18 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,936 times
I saw this posted somewhere else but believe it very succinctly nails it:

"This movie is what happens when diversity hires outnumber creative people."

Old 12-16-2017, 02:03 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
I saw this posted somewhere else but believe it very succinctly nails it:

"This movie is what happens when diversity hires outnumber creative people."
No. The diversity of actors doesn't make any difference whatsoever in the writing of a plotline. Sci-fi has always been full of multiracial, multi-species, multi-cultural characters.

The SW universe has always had technical discrepancies. The direct lifting of WWII fighter footage and transposing it to a space-faring civilization was bound to have problems. However, this episode has just about thrown away the books on physics and common sense. It doesn't help that it breaks such basic rules as developing a plot repeatedly by means of "and suddenly a miracle happens!" Pull a planet out of a hat when you are in trouble? Sure, why not. Design a scene strictly to please vegans while characters are killed right and left? sigh.

The problem lies in consultants and editors not being able to shape the plot into anything more than disjointed improbable scenes.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
I wish but I don't think so. The movie is polarizing to many people. I love it, my brother and sister-in-law both love it too, but I know a lot of people that didn't for whatever reason.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:05 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,936 times
Quote:
No. The diversity of actors doesn't make any difference whatsoever in the writing of a plotline. Sci-fi has always been full of multiracial, multi-species, multi-cultural characters.

The SW universe has always had technical discrepancies. The direct lifting of WWII fighter footage and transposing it to a space-faring civilization was bound to have problems. However, this episode has just about thrown away the books on physics and common sense. It doesn't help that it breaks such basic rules as developing a plot repeatedly by means of "and suddenly a miracle happens!" Pull a planet out of a hat when you are in trouble? Sure, why not. Design a scene strictly to please vegans while characters are killed right and left? sigh.

The problem lies in consultants and editors not being able to shape the plot into anything more than disjointed improbable scenes.
Mostly agree.....but the diversity line was directed more towards writers, etc. who decided for this preachy flick catering to SJW/PC culture that all good must be defined by women, minorities, etc and anything bad is rooted in the male (almost always white male) gender.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:25 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Movie is lagging behind Force Awakens at the first weekend box office, but that is to be expected as subsequent movies in a trilogy/sequels can make less after all the hype has died down.

Will still be a monster weekend box office for this movie, the rest of the top 10 look horrible by comparison.

Force Awakens is third highest grossing film of all time worldwide, so doubt Last Jedi will come close to that even.

So, no.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:22 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Movie is lagging behind Force Awakens at the first weekend box office, but that is to be expected as subsequent movies in a trilogy/sequels can make less after all the hype has died down.

Will still be a monster weekend box office for this movie, the rest of the top 10 look horrible by comparison.

Force Awakens is third highest grossing film of all time worldwide, so doubt Last Jedi will come close to that even.

So, no.
I'm going to have to disagree with you. There is a factor in play here. The Force Awakens also had a perfect storm of no winter weather impacting views, The Last Jedi did to some extent so far. Also, normally sequels are expected to have an increase to the opening weekend. Except for cases that it is 200m+ like The Avengers or The Force Awakens.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:56 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
YES, also whats up with all those cat looking things walking around the mountain base? LOL

My friend was asking me why those cats were walking around during that serious conversation that was going on where Poe was figuring out Luke was creating a distraction for them.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:50 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
I think the Star Wars brand has been diluted a little. There really wasn't a lot of media hype around this movie. I'm sure it won at the box office, but there just isn't a lot of hype around it. I didn't even really see a whole lot of commercials/trailers on tv. As an example, Thor Rangonrak in general seemed to have a lot more media hype, more commercials, and in general just more all around buzz.

I plan on seeing it, but I've heard it's only ok. Many of my friends who are movie nuts haven't even seen it yet and don't seem super excited to see it, which is why I probably don't feel the buzz I expected. Hopefully it will be good. I was born in the 80s, so still have nostalgia for the originals lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies