Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 08:15 AM

115 posts, read 98,250 times

Advertisements

How was the movie? I didn't go to watch it yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 09:11 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deankendrick View Post
How was the movie? I didn't go to watch it yet.
I loved it. The Blu-ray will be in my MCU library when it becomes available

Old 07-11-2017, 12:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I understand that but now they are back to another Spider-kid movie.
So you want an older Peter Parker, we had that with Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 3. The closest to this style of Spider-Man movie was Yhe Amazing Spider-Man which was just a Spider-Man in high school story rather than a high school Spider-Man story.

To the subject of an origin story, we didn't see an origin because we didn't need one. Spider-Man existed in the MCU with the events of Captain America: Civil War. We have also seen it twice in two great ways, Spider-Man and
The Amazing Spider-Man
. We don't need to swe origins in comic book movies with established box office heroes like Batman, Superman or Spider-Man

Old 07-11-2017, 02:08 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So you want an older Peter Parker, we had that with Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 3. The closest to this style of Spider-Man movie was Yhe Amazing Spider-Man which was just a Spider-Man in high school story rather than a high school Spider-Man story.

To the subject of an origin story, we didn't see an origin because we didn't need one. Spider-Man existed in the MCU with the events of Captain America: Civil War. We have also seen it twice in two great ways, Spider-Man and
The Amazing Spider-Man. We don't need to swe origins in comic book movies with established box office heroes like Batman, Superman or Spider-Man
Especially not for anyone who recognized the opening score of Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:08 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Especially not for anyone who recognized the opening score of Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:16 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Without the "origin" story and how he learns to be responsible with his powers...

Spiderman:Prom Night, Spiderman becomes evil/Venom and holds the school hostage to become crowned king

Old 07-12-2017, 10:14 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Sorry but this one of those films where I am going to get creamed for being a kill joy. The movie is the biggest example of bandwagon-ism I've ever seen.

For the most part I don't want to totally crap over a film I know many people enjoyed, and I know they enjoyed it because for the most part it did it's job as being an entertaining flick to spend two hours to. I get that but I think that always focusing on how "fun" a movie is, we lose standards that used to apply to movies. Basic stuff too.

The film had really bad pacing and sloppy editing. It just felt like a bunch of scenes haphazardly slapped together. The dialogue was kind of cringey and the jokes were non stop. Every single character in this film had a witty line and there was never a straight man to balance the comic relief. It's another one of the many movies out these days where every character is some comic.

DJ Flash? MJ as Michelle Jones, not Mary Jane? I mean, it was laughable how they tried to shoehorn these into the story.

On the overuse of current technology, I kind of gave up on that criticism because people don't see it as an excuse for lazy writing and blatant corporate advertising but instead see it as making the film relevant.

All in all, I think I figured out the problem with films these days. On a technical level from the writing, editing, special effects, they're garbage, but as far as mindless entertainment to kill two hours to, they're perfect. I enjoyed this film but only because I shut off that critical part of my brain that just sours fun movies. And that was great.

I really think people don't care about the technical stuff and just want to enjoy fun films. I get that now.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:15 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,395,921 times
What ‘Homecoming’ Does Right that Other ‘Spider-Man’ Movies Did Wrong

Tom Holland is currently the fav Spider-Man by 11 votes.

What 'Homecoming' Does Right that Other 'Spider-Man' Movies Did Wrong - High-Def Digest: The Bonus View
Attached Thumbnails
Spider-Man (Homecoming)-img_1262.jpg  

Old 07-12-2017, 05:24 PM

735 posts, read 1,170,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy53420 View Post
what ‘homecoming’ does right that other ‘spider-man’ movies did wrong

tom holland is currently the fav spider-man by 11 votes.

what 'homecoming' does right that other 'spider-man' movies did wrong - high-def digest: The bonus view
great article; well said!!

Old 07-12-2017, 06:05 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Sorry but this one of those films where I am going to get creamed for being a kill joy. The movie is the biggest example of bandwagon-ism I've ever seen.

For the most part I don't want to totally crap over a film I know many people enjoyed, and I know they enjoyed it because for the most part it did it's job as being an entertaining flick to spend two hours to. I get that but I think that always focusing on how "fun" a movie is, we lose standards that used to apply to movies. Basic stuff too.

The film had really bad pacing and sloppy editing. It just felt like a bunch of scenes haphazardly slapped together. The dialogue was kind of cringey and the jokes were non stop. Every single character in this film had a witty line and there was never a straight man to balance the comic relief. It's another one of the many movies out these days where every character is some comic.

DJ Flash? MJ as Michelle Jones, not Mary Jane? I mean, it was laughable how they tried to shoehorn these into the story.

On the overuse of current technology, I kind of gave up on that criticism because people don't see it as an excuse for lazy writing and blatant corporate advertising but instead see it as making the film relevant.

All in all, I think I figured out the problem with films these days. On a technical level from the writing, editing, special effects, they're garbage, but as far as mindless entertainment to kill two hours to, they're perfect. I enjoyed this film but only because I shut off that critical part of my brain that just sours fun movies. And that was great.

I really think people don't care about the technical stuff and just want to enjoy fun films. I get that now.
DJ Flash was Flash Thompson of today. I work at a high school and you don't see the Flash from the classic Flash Thompson, you would see THIS Flash who uses his words far more than his physical attributes. It was a similar way to keep the film relevant. The comments made the film seem like a high school movie. All other Spider-Man movies in high school, didn't get that. Even the Raimi classic.

Michelle being MJ don't mean we can't see Mary Jane Watson at all you know. Peter met MJ while in COLLEGE where he met Gwen Stacy as well. In fact, he met Gwen BEFORE MJ. Maybe Michelle is a placeholder in a way for Sony (and even Marvel) for Peter to have a love interest because we all know you can't do a superhero movie without a romantic lead... This is a trope I wish would go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies