Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 03:14 PM

9,825 posts, read 11,565,256 times

Advertisements

Anybody that's read Spiderman comics knows how much of comedian/Ham he is. I think this new kid will, knock it out of the park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 09:36 PM

28,685 posts, read 18,825,363 times
It was a lot of good fun, but it didn't move me emotionally the way Wonder Woman did.

IMO Michael Keaton stole the show, from the opening minutes until the mid-credit scene. In terms of playing the role, he was up there with Ian. Maybe a bit better.

Spoiler
And the patient will be punked.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:03 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,554,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It was a lot of good fun, but it didn't move me emotionally the way Wonder Woman did.
well... he didn't show off as much cleavage either

Old 07-08-2017, 04:43 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
This movie is a must see. DO IT! It is so much better than Wonder Woman, the only thing I didn't like was the Adrian Toomes twist on who he really was, that said the movie was the Spider-Man movie Spider-Man fans have wanted since 2002. Not that Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 were "bad movies" they just didn't focus on Peter Parker the person, rather Peter Parker the superhero chasing after Mary Jane Watson. Spoiler territory,
Spoiler
I didn't really like the MJ Easter egg because Michelle Jones is not Mary Jane Watson. I haven't seen a character of Mary Jane like that but again, a minor complaint and one that didn't take away from my enjoyment.

Tom Holland is teenage Peter Parker Spider-Man. I don't care what anyone says, Andrew Garfield didn't land jokes while Holland did. Tobey Maguire would have been a pretty good adult Peter Parker, but he wasn't teen Parker, nor did he have the quips. And as you can tell, the Reimi Spider-Man movies still hold up and I love the first two.

There was quite a few good Easter eggs in the movie:
Spoiler
  • Damage Control was Marvel's governmental task for rebuilding after major events in the comics.
  • Donald Glover's character spoke of his "nephew," in the Ultimate Spider-Man run, their version of the Prowler is Aaron Davis, Miles Morales' uncle. Unlike the Prowler in traditional 616 Marvel, the Prowler wasn't a vigilante but rather a villain like Spider Man thought he was.
  • The obvious Michelle Jones is called MJ is a reference to Mary Jane Watson, the most famous love of Peter Parker
  • Ned Leeds having a bomb from the human-Chitari tech maybe one of Ned Leeds being a Hobgoblin (one of many)
  • The Sinister Six was teased with Mac Corgan/Scorpion's Men on the outside. That or it is a reference to Scorpion being a Mexican gang leader in Ultimate Spider-Man
  • Betty Grant was an anchor for the school news, in the comics she is a receptionist for the Daily Bugle
  • Further more, Betty Brant has a more Gwen Stacy like look.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:45 AM

29,527 posts, read 22,704,392 times
I'll go see it, a co-worker thought it was really good, lot less action than Wonder Woman but more character development according to him.

At least there wasn't an origin story, thank god.

And Iron Man is in it, good move by the producers and that alone makes it a worthwhile movie to watch.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:35 AM

I'll watch WW again next week if I can. Spiderman was good, and I'd only watch it again for Keaton.

Spiderman fails the Bechdel Test! OMG!

https://www.themarysue.com/spider-man-bechdel-test/

No Blockbuster-Check: Spider-Man: Homecoming

Old 07-08-2017, 08:12 AM

And what's up with this movie taking place 8 years after "Avengers?"

Ironman takes place in 2010
Ironman 2, Thor, and Incredible Hulk take place in the same week.
Avengers takes place in 2012
Doctor Strange takes place in 2016
Within Civil War, Vision says that time is 8 years after Ironman, which puts Civil War in 2018
Spiderman takes place two months after Civil War...but says that it takes place 8 years after Avengers
Happy says he's been holding the engagement ring for Pepper since 2008

Old 07-08-2017, 12:46 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And what's up with this movie taking place 8 years after "Avengers?"

Ironman takes place in 2010
Ironman 2, Thor, and Incredible Hulk take place in the same week.
Avengers takes place in 2012
Doctor Strange takes place in 2016
Within Civil War, Vision says that time is 8 years after Ironman, which puts Civil War in 2018
Spiderman takes place two months after Civil War...but says that it takes place 8 years after Avengers
Happy says he's been holding the engagement ring for Pepper since 2008
The busy week for Fury was in 09, six to eight months after Stark announced he was Iron Man. I think Avengers took place in the next year 10 (time scale). The dicyness comes with Iron Man 3, it is supposed to have been six months after the events of The Avengers because of Tony's issues with PTSD through out the movie for being the one who laid his body on the proverbial land mine. That said a Twitter user posters a GREAT Timeline that I am basing this on...

https://twitter.com/DonEsQue/status/883555939487551493

Old 07-08-2017, 03:44 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,704,392 times
Doing really well so far at the box office, will easily make 100 million this weekend.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
well... he didn't show off as much cleavage either
I liked Wonder Woman's dedication to mission, which resonates with me personally, and caused me to re-dedicate myself to mission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies