Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 05:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,035,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Was I the only one totally surprised that Adrian Toomes was Liz's father?
Toomes mentioned his family several times, so I figured that was foreshadowing. It had to be someone close to Peter, and Liz was the most obvious choice.

I was just worried that they would kill Toomes off in the end, and Liz would end up like Harry Osborn, wanting revenge on Spiderman. I'm glad they didn't go that route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 06:26 PM

12,393 posts, read 8,170,832 times
Quote:
Was I the only one totally surprised that Adrian Toomes was Liz's father? It really socked home how surprised Peter would have been, and how that shock would have kept him gobsmacked for the next couple of hours of his life.

There was an audible gasp from my Monday matinee audience

Old 07-14-2017, 06:41 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,001,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post

Same here. In retrospect there was foreshadowing, but the reveal still caught me and just about everyone else in my theater by surprise.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:55 PM

28,682 posts, read 18,820,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
My immediate thought was that Toomes had figured out who Parker was and had invaded Liz's home to ambush him...which was probably Peter's initial thought.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:50 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
Was I the only one totally surprised that Adrian Toomes was Liz's father? It really socked home how surprised Peter would have been, and how that shock would have kept him gobsmacked for the next couple of hours of his life.

And yet, it was his neighborhood--"six degrees of separation" and all that, there was good chance there was someone in common between them.

The more I think about the portrayal of this villain, the more appreciative I am with how they designed him and how Michael Keaton played him.
That was a shock and a trope I hate from all of the Spider-Man movies so far. I mean Norman Osborne was Peter's best friend's father (it's like that in the comics so, no big deal), Doctor Octopus was a mentor for Peter (again I believe this was in the comics, if not the 1990's Fox animated series), Eddie Brock was a rival photographer/journalist (this WAS a comic thing), Doc Connors was Parker's mentor in college (again, another comic reference.) That said, Sandman in Spider-Man 3, Electro in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and now Vulture were all inter-twined into Peter Parker with artistic license and a deus ex machina that weren't exactly in the comics or other media. It makes the Spider-verse seem too small IMHO. There's a lot of aspects to it whether organized crime (Kingpin, Silvermane, etc.) as well as rogues like say Chameleon (someone I'd LOVE to see in the future) or Kraven whom are more non-traditional criminals with no ties to Parker. It annoyed me but the way Michael Keaton played dad and balanced as a villain gave me a throwback to Willam Defoe as Norman Osborne in Spider-Man. Keaton was rightfully picked for that role and turned a chicken **** deus ex machina into chicken soup.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That was a shock and a trope I hate from all of the Spider-Man movies so far. I mean Norman Osborne was Peter's best friend's father (it's like that in the comics so, no big deal), Doctor Octopus was a mentor for Peter (again I believe this was in the comics, if not the 1990's Fox animated series), Eddie Brock was a rival photographer/journalist (this WAS a comic thing), Doc Connors was Parker's mentor in college (again, another comic reference.) That said, Sandman in Spider-Man 3, Electro in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and now Vulture were all inter-twined into Peter Parker with artistic license and a deus ex machina that weren't exactly in the comics or other media. It makes the Spider-verse seem too small IMHO. There's a lot of aspects to it whether organized crime (Kingpin, Silvermane, etc.) as well as rogues like say Chameleon (someone I'd LOVE to see in the future) or Kraven whom are more non-traditional criminals with no ties to Parker. It annoyed me but the way Michael Keaton played dad and balanced as a villain gave me a throwback to Willam Defoe as Norman Osborne in Spider-Man. Keaton was rightfully picked for that role and turned a chicken **** deus ex machina into chicken soup.
You're complaining about the movie doing something that the comics did successfully for years, and seem to have missed a point. Neighborhood Spider-man. Peter almost lost that point in his desire to be an Avenger, but what he realized was not only that he wasn't ready, but that fighting aliens and gods isn't even where his heart is.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Same here. In retrospect there was foreshadowing, but the reveal still caught me and just about everyone else in my theater by surprise.
I think they used the prejudice of the audience against us. Adrian Toomes was continually not pigeonholed.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:30 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
You're complaining about the movie doing something that the comics did successfully for years, and seem to have missed a point. Neighborhood Spider-man. Peter almost lost that point in his desire to be an Avenger, but what he realized was not only that he wasn't ready, but that fighting aliens and gods isn't even where his heart is.
It annoys me how the movies really try to connect Spider-Man to his villains when there isn't much of one at all. Vulture didn't have any tie to Spider-Man in any media up till now. You don't need to have villains who always have to have direct issues with the hero and I wished more comic book movies would get away from that trope.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:02 AM

22,930 posts, read 28,302,797 times
Finally saw it last night. Liked it a lot. Not a modern classic by any stretch, but still a fun popcorn flick.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:06 AM

I still think about how good a character Adrian Toomes was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies