Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 11:52 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Wouldn't anything I say about this movie be strictly an opinion? From a technical standpoint the movie was lacking but it's standard for movies today that care less about that and just want to shoehorn other stuff into the story.

I get that people don't look at that stuff and just zone out to enjoy the film.
Please, that was always a criticism to blockbusters. It's just mindless explosions. FYI, have you seen movies like Whiplash, Birdman, The Revenant, La La Land at all? Movies aren't all what you are saying they are today. The issue is many either don't care to watch them or don't know enough to see it in there. Spider-Man: Homecoming was the Spider-Man movie I waited for and I didn't notice plot issues like I did with say Thor: The Dark World or Suicide Squad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 12:01 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
I get that people don't look at that stuff and just zone out to enjoy the film.
I'm not sure that's a problem.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:17 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Anybody that's read Spiderman comics knows how much of comedian/Ham he is. I think this new kid will, knock it out of the park.
I need to read more, but I know he's often doing stuff with Deadpool. What a pair

Old 07-14-2017, 12:26 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Please, that was always a criticism to blockbusters. It's just mindless explosions. FYI, have you seen movies like Whiplash, Birdman, The Revenant, La La Land at all? Movies aren't all what you are saying they are today. The issue is many either don't care to watch them or don't know enough to see it in there. Spider-Man: Homecoming was the Spider-Man movie I waited for and I didn't notice plot issues like I did with say Thor: The Dark World or Suicide Squad.
It was always a criticism, sure but the films were still relatively coherent. The story itself was what they tried to sell you, now big blockbusters are so busy trying to shoehorn a tent pole movie that the story itself becomes a bit incoherent. And those good movies you listed were the norm for a lot of cineplexes. You'd usually see all three movies at the cineplex with the fun movies coming out mostly in the summer. Now it's reversed and more people want to see summer blockbusters year round.

That's fine that you liked this Spider-Man but I personally knock off points not so much because it is bad on its own merits but that its just a standard issue mega blockbuster of today with all the things I dislike about today's mainstream films. Stuff people don't notice or care about and that's fine.

I hate nitpicking current movies because people always have a knee-jerk reaction to the criticism as though I'm being too nostalgic or more hipster than thou. I guess I just get annoyed at the overuse of pop references, lazy writing, current tech, every character being comic relief, no sense of real danger, and knowing that this won't be the last movie. That's just my opinion of current mainstream blockbusters today, but I know that there is a counter-counter culture movement that is sick of other people raining on their fun.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm not sure that's a problem.
Well it's not. Most people aren't film buffs, they just use the cinematic experience as sort of a theme park ride. That's perfectly fine.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:30 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'll admit I don't know about DC quite as much, but I far prefer Marvel. I tried watching both Batman vs. Superman and Suicide Squad. Plots hard to follow, etc. Sigh.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:34 PM

Suicide Squad was a perfect example of what I was talking about. But it was so bad I think people just couldn't overlook things this time. It wasn't coherent, edited so badly it was a mess and just outright bad writing.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Well it's not. Most people aren't film buffs, they just use the cinematic experience as sort of a theme park ride. That's perfectly fine.
I don't mind it, that was how I got into films. It wasn't musicals or dramas, it was Disney animation; Police Academy 2, 4, 5 and 6; and Star Wars at first. Then came X-Men and Spider-Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
I'll admit I don't know about DC quite as much, but I far prefer Marvel. I tried watching both Batman vs. Superman and Suicide Squad. Plots hard to follow, etc. Sigh.
I'm mostly a Marvel guy but my favorite super-hero is quickly becoming The Flash. That said Batman V. Superman was actually better and to me, I was able to follow it. Suicide Squad I feel the issue was turns and swerves at every bend.

Quote:
Suicide Squad was a perfect example of what I was talking about. But it was so bad I think people just couldn't overlook things this time. It wasn't coherent, edited so badly it was a mess and just outright bad writing.
Suicide Squad is no Spider-Man: Homecoming. The only Spider-Man movies I've seen that bad, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and the last 30 minutes of Spider-Man 3 (which was rushed as ****.)

Old 07-14-2017, 01:02 PM

Spider-Man 2 was amazing. Loved it and it had it all and it was a summer blockbuster. I just thought that the film was well made. It was great technically and still holds up. I thought Nolans Batman trilogy was amazing too. So I know that people can still make great films, I just think movies have sold out and a desperately searching for tentpoles and billion dollar box office success.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:42 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Was I the only one totally surprised that Adrian Toomes was Liz's father? It really socked home how surprised Peter would have been, and how that shock would have kept him gobsmacked for the next couple of hours of his life.

And yet, it was his neighborhood--"six degrees of separation" and all that, there was good chance there was someone in common between them.

The more I think about the portrayal of this villain, the more appreciative I am with how they designed him and how Michael Keaton played him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies