Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 10:04 PM

4,884 posts, read 5,020,498 times

Advertisements

Explosions!!!!!!!!! A character is walking away from something that is going to explode. Walking with a calm even pace, looking straight ahead, when the explosion happens, they don't even flinch. Bull hockey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 10:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Whether it is a war movie or western, whenever someone says "It's awfully quiet out there.", without fail someone else will respond:
"Yeah, too quiet."
I seem to see that meme in a lot more types of movies including action and epics.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:44 PM

29,526 posts, read 22,704,392 times
A lot of good stuff mentioned so far.

Others:

- Whenever the protagonist goes investigating, and breaks into a room or something secure, there will always be a 'time crunch' as the villain suddenly decides to go back to room. Audience on edge of seat as villain slowly makes his way back up to room, as protagonist seems oblivious. As villain uses key on door, protagonist suddenly realizes he's trapped and must find a last minute hiding place.

Another variation on above is when protagonist seemingly makes a clean escape from room, but did something very minor to later room and the villain suddenly notices (some object left out of place, something protagonist accidentally left behind, etc.).

- Whenever characters hide from villain in a room, they will do something that will alert the villain to their presence. Maybe accidentally make noise (cell phone ringing, etc.). Usually happens at the last minute as the villain is just about to leave room. Also, if there's a female hiding in a room with a male, the male will inevitably cover the female's mouth to muffle screams.

- Any movie that takes place in the forest will feature a scene with a huge grizzly bear that gets up on its rear legs and roars.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:15 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,154,081 times
All criminal investigations will require at least one visit to a strip club.

Cars involved in a high speed car chase will keep on running regardless of how badly they get mangled by collisions with fruit stands, newspaper stands, "road closed" barriers, other cars, jumping over obstructions, driving through walls, etc.

All cars being chased by people with guns will have their back windows shot out, but no one is ever hurt when it happens.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:11 AM

29,526 posts, read 22,704,392 times
The villain that never dies initially.

Seen this in the recent Hobbit movie and others.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:36 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,847,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Horror movies ...
Victim running, stumbling and then trying to crawl instead of getting up.
Lovers Lane
Let’s Split Up!

Yes! Horror movies are the perfect example:

-Soon-to-be victim uses the phone with her back to the window

-Victim holding knife walks stealthily and wide-eyed across room, then just stops with her back to a window

-Victim goes searching in the dark for a missing cat or dog

-Victim approaches the bathroom shower with knife in hand, and quickly pulls away the curtain, finding no one there. Of course he's not there because he'll always be right behind you when you turn around.

-Victim hears drapes rattling or door banging, indicating an open window/door, even though she's supposedly the only one in the house and knows that she, herself, didn't open them. So she simply closes them and goes to bed.

Geico has a funny ad about horror movies. The actors are running, and wondering if they should find a basement to hide in, and the girl cries, "Why can't we just get in the running car?!" They end up in a garage with a wall of chain saws behind them. Lol!

Last edited by Delahanty; 01-05-2015 at 08:50 AM..

Old 01-05-2015, 08:44 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,387,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Geico has a funny ad about horror movies. The actors are running, and wondering if they should find a basement to hide in, and the girl cries, "Why can't we just get in the running car?!" They end up in a garage with a wall of chain saws behind them. Lol!
I love that commercial. I've always wondered in horror movies why they hide, especially when they're not in remote areas. If a killer was to burst in my house and I have the chance to run I'm running in the middle of the street screaming and throwing my shoes at the neighbors car.

Another one I hate is how on these school movies there's never any adults around. The teachers, counselors, adminstrative staff are all somehow clueless to the fact that 95% of the school is picking on this one kid even though it's happening in the hallway, the cafeteria, in the classroom, in the middle of the school assembly...

Last edited by nat_at772; 01-05-2015 at 08:59 PM..

Old 01-05-2015, 08:53 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,847,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
I love that commercial. I've always wondered in horror movies why they hide, especially when they're not in remote areas. If a killer was too burst in my house and I have the chance to run I'm running in the middle of the street screaming and throwing my shoes at the neighbors car.

Another one I hate is how on these school movies there's never any adults around. The teachers, counselors, adminstrative staff are all somehow clueless to the fact that 95% of the school is picking on this one kid even though it's happening in the hallway, the cafeteria, in the classroom, in the middle of the school assembly...

Lol and about that running....why the heck do they keep running ahead of the car that's chasing them? I saw this just a couple of nights ago. A girl on foot was being followed by a car on a highway. All she had to do was cross the street. If they followed, the oncoming cars would take care of them.

At least she didn't run into an alley with no exit.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:02 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,335,772 times
What cracks me up about horror movie is, no matter what, the victims just can't outrun the killer, always cracks me up that Jason walks so damn slow and yet he catches up to the victim who is running or in a moving car. How is a slow ass guy taking his slow ass time still catches up to his victim? Not only does he catches up, sometimes, he's already there hiding and waiting for his opportunity to hack them.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:02 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,387,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Lol and about that running....why the heck do they keep running ahead of the car that's chasing them? I saw this just a couple of nights ago. A girl on foot was being followed by a car on a highway. All she had to do was cross the street. If they followed, the oncoming cars would take care of them.

At least she didn't run into an alley with no exit.
Or they live in an area where one side is houses and the other side is woods. They always run into the woods, which dramatically slopes downhill so that they run like two steps and then slip. Then they end up falling and tumbling to the bottom, hitting their head and passing out. Then they wake up and their vision is all blurry and the person who was chasing them in the car is now right in their face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies