Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 10:18 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Terrorists who are Serbians or Russian, instead of what most terrorists are in real life, Muslim extremists.

The interracial street gang. I mean, c'mon.
Because that would be racially insensitive both ways. Look at the ****storm Exodus got for having a mostly white cast despite being in 1200 BC Egypt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 08:34 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,388,919 times
The failed escape attempt. The character is being held captive, but escapes! yay! only to be caught again. I always find this to be lazy writing, because it doesn't move the story along, but is just used as a filler or time waster.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
The failed escape attempt. The character is being held captive, but escapes! yay! only to be caught again. I always find this to be lazy writing, because it doesn't move the story along, but is just used as a filler or time waster.
This reminds me of another that is fairly recent, the multiple false victories. This is something I really noticed when I saw Transformers: Dark of the Moon with the battle in Chicago where at least three times the Autobots and the armed forces could failed to defeat the Decpticons led by Sentile Prime. By the third time, I was shot and I just wanted not just the fight to end but the movie too. That is a reason why I was very skeptical about whatever the most recent one was.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:27 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,856,338 times
When there is a fight scene and the hero is greatly out numbered but does well because all the bad guys are fighting him one by one not all at once.

The movie that does this the least (from recent memory) was The Raid. Amazing action flick.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:30 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,392,969 times
I spent a day watching Lifetime (don't ask me why) and of course it was a bunch of movies about crazy women being obsessed with someone.

In almost every movie it ended with the wife/girlfriend/daughter/main female who was attached to the object of obsession fighting the crazy person on the roof, on the 2nd floor, in the attic, etc so that at the very end the female could then throw crazy person over the edge and they would land on either a glass table or a fence.

The first time I saw this was in hand that rocks the cradle but they're STILL doing it 22 years later.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
I spent a day watching Lifetime (don't ask me why) and of course it was a bunch of movies about crazy women being obsessed with someone.

In almost every movie it ended with the wife/girlfriend/daughter/main female who was attached to the object of obsession fighting the crazy person on the roof, on the 2nd floor, in the attic, etc so that at the very end the female could then throw crazy person over the edge and they would land on either a glass table or a fence.

The first time I saw this was in hand that rocks the cradle but they're STILL doing it 22 years later.
I suggest watching Killing Daddy, it is a bit of the typical Lifetime movie that came out last year but it isn't to the point they get thrown off of something and crash.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:25 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,168,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Hero and villain drop their guns in the final showdown and decide to fight it out hand-to-hand.

Along the same line...

No matter how huge the final battle scene is, no matter how many combatants are engaged on both sides, somehow or other the chief good guy and the chief villain will find one another on the field and engage in one on one combat which always seems to settle the entire battle.

It also gets my goat when in some furious battle involving thousands of warriors, if the chief good guy's closest friend suffers a mortal wound, the chief good guy will somehow or other find the time to disengage from the combat all around him, long enough for a few final words and a tender goodbye, he is never interrupted by the need to keep fighting. The noise of the ongoing battle always suspiciously vanishes during this sequence as well.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:06 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,336,971 times
Things that drives me nuts:

When it comes to two heroes....If one has to die, it's the minority guy. Somehow, minority heroes somehow always comes up short.

The hero doesn't want to kill the villain after defeating him at the end but the villain forces his hand and so the hero shoots him dead in self defense, not because he wants to, it's because he HAS to.

The villain wins the fight but instead of just killing the hero. He decides to stop and give a 5 minute speech and then gets killed.

No matter what, 99% of the time, Hollywood hero always wins! I guess that's why I enjoy Korean movies, sometimes, the hero doesn't always win or live.

Every single damn time, a Hero saves a woman. Suddenly, she just sluts herself away, with the exception where the hero is an Asian man, then he's out of luck. Come on! How many women out there was saved by a cop, fireman, soldier in real life and then turns around and start sleeping with the person who saved them?

Smoking. Honestly, I have not seen a single movie were the hero/villain is a smoker and that smoking scene made such moving scene that if that smoking scene was not there, the whole movie would be ruin.

People hiding behind sofas, chairs, recliner, or dining table and survives a gun shoot out. Really?

Old 01-03-2015, 04:38 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,046,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
The villain wins the fight but instead of just killing the hero. He decides to stop and give a 5 minute speech and then gets killed.
...from behind by the friend that the hero thought was either dead, had given up on him, or was supposed to be somewhere else.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:49 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,168,952 times
Whether it is a war movie or western, whenever someone says "It's awfully quiet out there.", without fail someone else will respond:
"Yeah, too quiet."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies