Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:10 PM

638 posts, read 2,281,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What are some good sci-fi movies? My tastes run more towards understated movies that make you think. Not a fan of "sci-fi" which are really more action-adventure movies.

My all-time favorite sci-fi movie: Gattaca
Others I like: Serenity, The Matrix (the first one), City of Lost Children, Equilibrium, Contact, Dark City, Pitch Black, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

Movies I dislike: Matrix II and III, Star Wars, I, Robot, War of the Worlds, Fantastic Four, etc.

So any suggestions based on my likes and dislikes?
Fuzz: We like similar movies and I know from reading various posts of yours that we agree on a lot of subjects. This movie is not quite Sci-fi but close: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon . It is one of the best movies I have ever seen, you will definitely enjoy it. I have yet to see a movie made on Terry Goodkind's novels, or any other great sci-fi fantasy writer. Can you even imagine a series of well-made Pern movies? Wow! I won't hold my breath, but if I am ever queen I will get those done ASAP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 07:53 AM

22,925 posts, read 28,298,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What are some good sci-fi movies? My tastes run more towards understated movies that make you think. Not a fan of "sci-fi" which are really more action-adventure movies.

My all-time favorite sci-fi movie: Gattaca
Others I like: Serenity, The Matrix (the first one), City of Lost Children, Equilibrium, Contact, Dark City, Pitch Black, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

Movies I dislike: Matrix II and III, Star Wars, I, Robot, War of the Worlds, Fantastic Four, etc.

So any suggestions based on my likes and dislikes?
Many of these have already been mentioned. If so, consider the following a second (or third or fourth) thumbs up:

BLADERUNNER. The best SF movie ever made.

ALIEN. It's basically a haunted house movie, but done in a fantastic SF story.

ALIENS. Definitely trends more toward an action movie, but still very well done storywise.

MINORITY REPORT. Also a heavy does of action, but it is a GREAT crime thriller -- and it is one of the SF movies that will make you think. A very smart, very well done film.

LOGAN'S RUN. Great '60s SF.

PLANET OF THE APES. The original. Forget the Tim Burton remake exists.

FORBIDDEN PLANET. May be the second-best SF movie ever made. It seems rather dated now. Definitely a '50s flavor of SF, but still brilliant and fun to watch even today.

THE THING. I liked the original, and John Carpenter's remake is also quite good. More of a horror film than true SF though.

THE ABYSS. Another one of my favorites. I know people who dislike it. I'm not sure why. It's a great SF story with characters you care about.

FLASH GORDON. The Sam J. Jones version. It is unbelievably campy and awful. But it's so unbelievably campy and awful that it's awesome. Best bad movie ever made. "Flash! Ah-ahhhhhhhh!"

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. Another classic.

BRAZIL. My wife hates this movie. She'll leave the room when I watch it. But I love it. It's absolutely brilliant. Weird but brilliant.

THE IRON GIANT. Yeah, it's a cartoon. But it's also one of my all-time favorite movies. A great story that's very moving and makes you think.

ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND. Wow. What a funny, touching, disturbing, awesome work of genius. Brilliant writing. Brilliant performances. And yeah, it's one that'll make you think.

THEY LIVE. Another Carpenter flick. It's really pretty bad, but it's so fun in its badness that you have to watch it. Really. Trust me. "I'm here to kick ass and chew gum --- and I'm all outta gum!"

Old 12-25-2007, 12:29 PM

578 posts, read 2,530,156 times
I wonder why would Chalton Heston make 2 movies, within 2 yrs. about the SAME SUBJECTS?
1971 - The Omega Man
1973 - Soylent Green

...and why these two similar movies (in plot, synopsis) were done back to back like that? Just goes to show you how Hollywood oversells stale-lame things to the movie going public.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:19 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,973,142 times
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy
They Live
Aliens
Bubba Ho Tep
Shaun Of The Dead
Army Of Darkness

Old 12-27-2007, 12:12 PM

22,925 posts, read 28,298,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Bubba Ho Tep
I thought Bubba Ho-Tep was a GREAT half-hour movie. Unfortunately, the movie came in closer to an hour and a half. They took 30 minutes of material and stretched it into 95.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:50 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,660,368 times
Kind of a Sci-Fi time travel movie, The Final Countdown
Kirk Douglas commands the U.S.S. Nimitz a modern Nuclear Aircraft carrier that goes thru a storm and comes out on December 6th, 1941, the day before Pearl Harbor.
Be sure to watch the very begining and the ending for a weird "what if"

Old 12-30-2007, 07:29 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,638,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Shaun Of The Dead
Funny movie, but dont know how you get sci-fi out of that

Old 01-02-2008, 02:08 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,447,921 times
One of the best contemporary sci-fi films is Contact, adapted from the book authored by the late, great Carl Sagan.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,558 times
Some recent recommendations: Moon 2009; Sunshine; Supernova (2000), a bit older but still a treat. :P

Old 03-09-2010, 02:05 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,685,884 times
sunshine was sweet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies