Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 01:37 PM

84 posts, read 196,117 times

Advertisements

that are not older than the 1990s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 04:04 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,331,048 times
Unmistaken child-A young monk searches for the reincarnation of his deceased master and finds him in a small boy. The boy is then.........
Rinne- Death is only the beginning
The search for Bidey Murphy-- Its before 1990 I know but thought you would find it interesting

Intriguing,That after death we can live again as another person, maybe as the opposite sex or in a completely different station in life, highly appealing for some people.The concept of reincarnation has been present in every culture since ancient times.Is there any truth to it?Is it just an idea or fantasy or is there real evidence to support it.

Hope you enjoy these choices I did in my previuos life. Good thread

Old 01-24-2010, 04:16 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Of the few movies about reincarnation, I've never seen a good one.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:18 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,231,253 times
A few are prior to the cutoff date.

Dead Again (1991) - IMDb
Birth (2004) - IMDb ~ Is he or isn't he?
Yesterday's Children (TV 2000) - IMDb ~ based on a true story
Chances Are (1989) - IMDb ~ sweet yet with a rather creepy outcome
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0456630/ Reincarnation aka Rinne ~ I agree!
The Reincarnation of Peter Proud (1975) - IMDb ~ There is supposed to be a remake this year.
The Search for Bridey Murphy (1956) - IMDb ~ The book about the case this is based on is fascinating, and the film brings a lot of it to the screen.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075704/ Audrey Rose ~ It's older but one of the best, with great performancees by Anthony Hopkins and Marsha Mason.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066181/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 On a Clear Day, You Can See Forever ~ For something very different, here's a musical about the subject matter, with Barbra Streisand as the goofy, chainsmoking girl who reveals another side to the doctor helping her (Yves Montand).

Old 01-24-2013, 05:50 PM

I apologize for double-posting, but I watched, for the second time, a wonderful film about reincarnation. I can't believe I forgot to list it before. You know you're in for a treat when you see the cast: Sam, Neill, Jeremy Northam, Peter O'Toole and Bryan Brown.

Dean Spanley (2008)
Wikipedia synopsis:
In the very early 1900s, Henslowe Fisk lives beholden to his father, the difficult Horatio Fisk. The Fisk family has suffered first the loss of its younger son, Harrington Fisk (Xavier Horan), killed in the Second Anglo-Boer War, shortly followed by the death of Horatio's wife. Fisk Senior is looked after by his housekeeper, the widowed Mrs. Brimley. Fisk Junior reluctantly visits his father every Thursday. One day, trying to entertain his father, Fisk Junior brings him to a lecture by a visiting swami about the transmigration of souls that is attended by the new local clergyman, Dean Spanley.
Later the same day, he sees the Dean at his father's club. A chance third meeting leads to an introduction. Fisk Junior is intrigued by the Dean's oddly open-minded views on reincarnation and getting beyond the appearance of an affable, rather bland clergyman by his weakness for certain peculiar sensations produced by Hungarian Imperial Tokay wine, which leads him into a dreamlike state. Working with his clever friend Wrather, an Australian "conveyancer", Fisk secures a large batch of Tokay, and the two entertain the Dean, who acts ever more strangely, starting to reveal memories of his previous life as a Welsh Spaniel. These memories are acute and convincing, including rich feelings around food and communication with other canines, a deep distaste for cats, and the joy of serving his master. As the story unfolds, Fisk Junior comes to understand his father's background better, and the two draw closer.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:51 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,915,578 times
What Dreams May Come

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q6595yMop8

Old 01-26-2013, 02:25 AM

When I was in high school, I came across a book in the school library that fascinated me because I had been studying the paranormal since I was about 10 years old: "The Search for Bridey Murphy". After reading the book a number of times, I sought out a copy of my own, learning that much had been added to the information about this case.

I had no idea that they had made a film about it till finally seeing it in the 1980s; it was released in 1956, about the time I was 5.

From IMDb:
After being shown what hypnotism can do, a doctor sets out to study it in depth. When experimenting on his friend's wife (Teresa Wright), she regresses back to an earlier life~that of Bridey Murphy. Several hypnotic sessions explore the life and death of Murphy, a 19th century woman who lived in Cork and Belfast, Ireland, from 1798 to 1864. The doctor then attempts to verify if Bridey really existed.

I taped the film, which is a good thing because it's never been aired again as far as I know. I think it was on USA. I just thought I'd add it here because it is an interesting film, very low-key, with no sensationalism. Teresa Wright, as always, is wonderful.

Here's a clip from YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH5z4WqhGE4

Also, there is a very low-budget film by Roger Corman that was inspired by the Bridey Murphy case. However, while filming it, the story took a few odd turns, turning into one of those very obscure, cultish films: "The Undead" (1957) ~~ From IMDb: Two psychical researchers procure the services of a lady of the night and send her back in time under hypnosis. She finds herself in the body of a past existence~a woman in medieval times waiting to be beheaded as a witch. By avoiding this fate, she unwittingly starts to alter history.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5acF-mKoxk

Old 01-26-2013, 06:46 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
A beautiful film on this subject, much earlier than others mentioned, is 'Portrait Of Jennie' (1948) starring Joseph Cotton, and the great, long forgotten Jennifer Jones.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 PM

Isn't Jennie a ghost? She isn't reincarnated, is she? I agree that it's a wonderful film, only it's a ghost story.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 12,521 times
Om Shanti Om....Hindi film can be rented on Netflix. One of my favorite films about reincarnation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies