Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:22 AM

26,822 posts, read 26,966,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
What are your favorite scary movies? I prefer suspense and spookiness...
Me, too. "Wait Until Dark" with Audrey Hepburn and Alan Arkin and "Play Misty for Me" with Clint Eastwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 05:14 AM

19,769 posts, read 20,344,317 times
El Orfanato - 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTpGmzGkhj0

One of my favorite ghost stories.

Old 02-29-2020, 05:20 AM

April Fool's Day (1986)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5kqwEzidks

Classic 80s.

Old 08-30-2020, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

When a Stranger Calls, the original. The first half hour and the last half hour are just incredibly creepy. The end has given me the willies for years. You don't think I check under the covers every night to make sure the right guy is in my bed? LMAO.

Omg, you are not joking!

Scary movies generally don't "scare" me, but this really creeped me out! The suspense had me squirming and several scenes actually gave me goosebumps. I just watched this tonight, alone. It's 3AM and now I'm sitting here with all the lights on in the house! I still have chills.

This is a five star flick! ★★★★★

When A Stranger Calls (1979) - Full Movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNkg...&index=37&t=2s

Even the music is creepy!

Old 08-30-2020, 06:35 PM

8,943 posts, read 4,799,652 times
The Exorcist (that scarred me for life). Didn't help that I first saw it when I was 13. Yeah, my parents let me watch it. What were they thinking??

The Ring (American version). Creepy, creepy...creepy. That movie got under my skin & stayed with me for a week!

Don't Look Now. Ditto.

Full Circle (aka Julia). That movie was unsettling and spooky. I just sensed pure evil & overwhelming sadness simultaneously. Ack! All negative emotions that lingered long after the movie was over.

Black Christmas (the original). The ending! Wow...

Halloween (the original). I love this movie! I hate slasher films but people kept insisting that I give it a try. So, I finally gave in and...I loved it!! It wasn't even all that gory. It was more suspenseful than anything. That was a fun ride. I really enjoyed watching that film.

The Innocents. Creepy. Eerie. Spooky. The tension and suspense was unbearable at times. I'm a sucker for those old time, black & white, scary films. The music. The dialogue. All those shadows. Big, rambling house. Even that song at the end while the credits roll. Perfect.

Last edited by Aeran; 08-30-2020 at 06:56 PM..

Old 08-30-2020, 07:25 PM

8,943 posts, read 4,799,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Those are just regular people doing bad stuff. I dont get scared. But the movies that involve ghosts, demons, spirits or the supernatural - thats when I get scared.
Exactly. Bad people doing bad stuff, I would call suspenseful. Or you're scared at that moment. But all that ends when the movie does. But anything remotely supernatural lingers because how can you fight that?! And for some bizarre reason, I think they're coming after me next! Preferably, that night. lol.

That's why I couldn't get The Ring out of my head & wouldn't/couldn't look at my tv for a week.

Old 08-30-2020, 07:58 PM

795 posts, read 487,402 times
Just some of my favorite scary movies:

Black Christmas (1974) (my ultimate favorite)

Halloween (1978) (second/third favorite)

Friday the 13th (1980) (and it's sequels) (second/third favorite)

The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976) (another favorite)

The Exorcist (1973)

Scream (1996)

Psycho (1960)

The Shining (1980)

The Strangers (2008)

Old 08-31-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Full Circle (aka Julia). That movie was unsettling and spooky. I just sensed pure evil & overwhelming sadness simultaneously. Ack! All negative emotions that lingered long after the movie was over.
I absolutely love this film, & it's one of my favorite movie soundtracks, ever.

Old 08-31-2020, 12:20 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,282,453 times
"Night of the Living Dead"

The high-contrast, black & white photography combined with the almost constant voice-over from the radio or TV that the characters are listening to, give it a documentary quality that makes it feel like it's really going on and a guy with a camera just happened to be there to record it.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:35 PM

4,047 posts, read 2,735,428 times
"The Others" with Nicole Kidman. The movie did a good job of giving you a slight sense of unease throughout the entire thing. I did figure out one of the twists pretty early on, but the other one, I only started to suspect right before the reveal.

"The Blair Witch Project", because it sort of keeps you guessing for quite a while if what's going on is the result of three lost, tired, and scared people who are letting their nerves and ego get the better of them, if maybe there's just other people in the woods messing with them, or maybe it's one (or both) of the guys messing with Heather, or if it *is* truly supernatural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies