Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 06:50 PM

8,943 posts, read 4,805,245 times

Advertisements

The scary movie thread made me think of the reverse. In my mind, a scary movie is something that you find creepy, disquieting or disturbing through out the film that lingers with you long after the movie is over & gets under your skin. That's what scary movies are all about! I love scary movies. So when a supposedly scary movie doesn't deliver, it's a let down.

Movies you found not really scary:

The Changeling: It was a good movie. Just kept waiting for "the scare" to come in and it never did. I didn't even find it to be unsettling or disquieting. I found it to be intriguing, but the only emotion I felt afterwards was sadness & anger (spoiler: over what happened to that little boy). Not scared at all. And I thought the ending was kind of lame (hokey) and a big let down.

Rosemary's Baby: It was another good movie. I just didn't find it scary. (spoiler: I just wanted to give that dud of a husband of hers a big, fat punch). This was a major let down in the "scare" department.

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 07:59 PM

795 posts, read 487,723 times
I agree with you about Rosemary's Baby not being scary (I still enjoyed it though lol). A Haunting in Connecticut (2008?) was not scary to me as well. Those two come to mind right off the top of my head...

Old 08-30-2020, 10:31 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,138,232 times
Anything at all made in the America in the 90s.

Scream, Urban Legend, Valentine, I Know What You did Last Summer, Final Destination...

Old 08-30-2020, 10:33 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,075,703 times
A Quiet Place.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:57 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,309,208 times
GoldKona, don't get me started on A Quiet Place! LOL

Old 08-31-2020, 08:00 AM

22,954 posts, read 28,379,500 times
Honestly, I don't find movies scary at all --- at least if by that you mean a movie leaves me with a feeling of being creeped out, not wanting to be alone, nervous to sit in the dark. Movies don't do that to me. I guess my brain has no problem separating fantasy from reality.

If I want a good scare, I turn on the news.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:03 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,218,327 times
I wonder if any of the posters understand that some 'scary' movies — like The Exorcist, recently discussed — are meant to build a sense of dread and fear, not jump-cut scare you into new underwear when the monster pops out.

It reminds me of seeing Jaws II in a theater behind two boys who, after every potential shark scene, loudly muttered, "Aw, crap, nobody got munched."

Old 08-31-2020, 10:14 AM

22,954 posts, read 28,379,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
I wonder if any of the posters understand that some 'scary' movies — like The Exorcist, recently discussed — are meant to build a sense of dread and fear, not jump-cut scare you into new underwear when the monster pops out.
Modern horror movies are addicted to the "jump scare," ninety-nine percent of which I don't find scary at all. In fact, the jump scare relieves tension. A horror movie wants to build tension. Jump scares can be done well. See John Carpenter's HALLOWEEN. But most directors these days are clueless. They have mistaken the jump scare for fear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzRHGS-HUdE

Old 08-31-2020, 10:18 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,645,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Millennials don't know what that word means.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:23 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,218,327 times
Hannibal Lecter is a good example. For all the discussion among other characters, he is nothing but mild and meek and courteous-to-gracious for almost an hour and a half of the film. But the atmosphere has been built to where he's repellent and frightening right from the first time we see him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies