Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 11:52 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,027,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-sol View Post
Hey you guys, thanks for your responses. I'm asking questions as I think of them, and my roommate and I thought of this one (it involves some Canadian law, though): if a non-Canadian buys a house in Canada, how does that affect his chances to earn citizenship? To the American mind, it's a matter of "I have bought a stake in your country, so you should admit me" (roommate's opinion, not mine). How does Canada handle this?
Have you checked the Canadian immigration web site and see if you had the points (67) to qualify? Why not just apply to migrate legally? Also you can google search NAFTA visa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 08:26 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,753,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-sol View Post
Hey you guys, thanks for your responses. I'm asking questions as I think of them, and my roommate and I thought of this one (it involves some Canadian law, though): if a non-Canadian buys a house in Canada, how does that affect his chances to earn citizenship? To the American mind, it's a matter of "I have bought a stake in your country, so you should admit me" (roommate's opinion, not mine). How does Canada handle this?

Property ownership isn't going to influence the Canadian citzenship process. Check the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site for answers to many FAQs.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:36 PM

91 posts, read 248,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Have you checked the Canadian immigration web site and see if you had the points (67) to qualify? Why not just apply to migrate legally? Also you can google search NAFTA visa.
Oh, I never planned to be an illegal in Canada (seeing as how I detest the influx of illegals in the United States), but I was just trying to get a feel for exactly what I would be putting myself through.

Although I did not clearly understand a few questions on the test, I got a 75. The education question is worded a little strangely and the skilled worker question takes some time.

I read somewhere that trying to immigrate into Canada via Québec is *quite* difficult as well. The same applies to getting a job, and when one is looking for a job, it can be a long, long, LOOOOOOOONG time until one hears back.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:59 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times
I thought someone had already addressed this here but looking back on the posts no one has.

Immigration is a shared responsibility between the Quebec government and the Canadian federal government. Very roughly speaking, the Canadian federal government gets to pick about half the immigrants to Quebec, with responsibility mainly covering "family reunion" type immigration and refugee claimants. Quebec gets to pick the other half, mostly independent workers, businesspeople and investors.

From what you are saying, it sounds like you would fall under the category that is under Quebec’s responsibility. This site might be useful to you: http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.asp

I’ve never heard that the process going through the Quebec government is really that much slower than the federal one. I know quite a few immigrants and hear both good and bad stories from both systems.

Note that one does not have to speak French (and you have said you speak at least some) in order to get accepted as an immigrant by the Quebec government. Though it won’t necessarily prevent you from getting in, speaking French will of course win you more points on your rating as a potential immigrant. A first step to immigrating to Quebec appears to be the obtention of what is called a CSQ (Certificat de sélection du Québec). The Web site above probably has info as to how you can get this.

Note also that once you are accepted by a government entity in Canada (be it Quebec or the federal government) and settle in the country, nothing really prevents you from moving from Quebec to Ontario, Ontario to Quebec, or to any other Canadian province.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:25 PM

15 posts, read 88,361 times
Moving to Montreal or anywhere in Canada is not as simple as you may think. You have to qualify through complicated immigration procedures and basically need to prove why Quebec and Canada should accept you, such as if you have skills in a job category that is in short supply. Buying a house gives you no rights of living there for most countries in the world, including USA and Canada. Aside from needing to qualify in immigration points, don't forget you will have to spend around $2500 to get an immigrant visa IF you qualify for one.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:08 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,631,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy.canuck View Post
I spent 1st 22 years in Montreal, the last 18 in Vancouver, I am currently moving back to Montreal with my wife and kids for the following reasons

1) We bought a newer house in Vaudreuil for $268k (30 minutes west of montreal) To buy a similar house 30 minutes from Vancouver would cost over $600k easily. We just sold our home there, thank god cause the market is tanking fast in Vancouver real estate ! Less financial stress for your home is a big reason !

2) I want my boys to go to French school so they can be bilingual and also being immersed in the culture will help as well.

3) Winter / rain in Vancouver sucks... and thats all it does for about 5 months. Have fond memories in Montreal as a kid: snowshoeing, skiing, snowball fights, forts, skating, tobogganing, etc.. waiting for school to be cancelled on heavy snow day ! Give me the cold weather and snow over pouring rain, and dark clouds any day, it gets very depressing when you get that climate day in and day out.

4) Montreal is FUN city ! Vancouver is NO FUN city in comparison. Energy, culture, restaurants, night life, events, friendliness, passion is biggest difference. Women in Montreal are the hottest in North America by far. Vancouver women for most part make me yawn, no energy / sizzle for the most part, I know I am generalizing... too bad, its the truth for the most part. They dont take the time to dress up, I find them VERY reserved. Dated many and took a vow I would only date non-Vancouver women.... That is why I married an incredible spicy Mexican woman

5) Day care is subidized heavily in Quebec about $7 day = $140 based on 20 days. In Vancouver you will be about $1000 a month per kid !!!!!!! IF YOU CAN EVEN FIND AN OPENING DUE TO SHORTAGES IN DAY CARES !

6) Habs of course rock, the Canucks mostly roll off a cliff every season.

7) Family are all in Quebec

8) Montreal Metro system although a little old, is safe, efficient and rocks ! In Vancouver we have overpriced skytrain that is modern, but very limited in geographic coverage. They don't even have manned stations to make sure you pay ! Its based on honour system with random ticket inspections, its a joke and very unsafe due to lack of staff.

9) Jazz festival, Comedy festival, Indy, St. Joseph Oratory, Schwartz smoked meat, poutine, bagels, best strip clubs, restaurants and night life in Canada for sure ! Clubs in Vancouver close at 2am and this is the only place you will ever see a Vancouver woman dress up a little outside of work. Yeah the truth is painful I know...

10) Architecture: Houses in Montreal are commonly made of brick, stone, etc... In Vancouver you get Stucco and vinyl siding for the most part. Not built to the same standards at all... I have owned 5 different houses in Vancouver, hardwood is only on VERY high end homes for example, but quite common in many homes in Montreal. European builders take a lot of pride in workmanship, in Vancouver lets just say a certain ethno group tends to congregate towards Construction industry, and they like to build it cheap and fast... even if house is over $600k... the quality I have seen on average is pathetic. No pride in workmanship in MANY cases. Not being racist, just factual, several inspectors I dealt with made same observation.
Mmmmmm-kay.... Where in Montreal did you live? Cause the Montreal I remember was NOTHING like you described. I thought Montreal had a very un-lively atmosphere, it was really dark and dull alot of the time, and I just remember it being a very dull city. I lived there for about 2 years. It really wasn't as splendid as you make it sound. And the rare chances I got to visit other cities like Ottawa, it was such a huge change. Ottawa was so beautiful. The sun was shining, the sky was BLUE and not grey like in Montreal, the weather was nice, the houses are great, and they speak english! I was so happy! I loved Ottawa.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Mmmmmm-kay.... Where in Montreal did you live? Cause the Montreal I remember was NOTHING like you described. I thought Montreal had a very un-lively atmosphere, it was really dark and dull alot of the time, and I just remember it being a very dull city. I lived there for about 2 years. It really wasn't as splendid as you make it sound. And the rare chances I got to visit other cities like Ottawa, it was such a huge change. Ottawa was so beautiful. The sun was shining, the sky was BLUE and not grey like in Montreal, the weather was nice, the houses are great, and they speak english! I was so happy! I loved Ottawa.
It's probably because the Montreal Canadiens didn't made it to the series twice in two years so dark time was spinning over the city! But seriously, try to remember that francophones are in the middle of a ocean of english speakers so it's important that language favoritism doesn't make part of your opinion when you talk about Ottawa!

But when you were in Montreal, have you ever visited the markets in Montreal? Have you visited the Olympic Stadium? Have you been to a game of the Montreal Canadiens or the Montreal Alouettes? Have you explored all the national corners of the city? Have you been to the Mont Royal? Have you shoped(?!?)* in the beutiful stores on the Sainte-Catherine's street or in the underground connecting malls? Have you eaten in one of many good restaurants of the city and have you tasted Montreal's famous bagels? Have you been outside Montreal to see astonishing landscapes like in the Eastern Townships where an important english community takes part of the place and where lakes, leafs in fall, mountains and little towns are magnificent? Have you been in the Laurentides with the colorful Mont-Tremblant village? Have you been in Quebec region or in Quebec City, an other great historical site because it's oldest city in North America?.... Well, I live in Sherbrooke, a great mid-size city about one hour and a half from Montreal, and I havn't seen or done all what I mentioned in 20 years!

Montreal is fabulous, not only because all of that, but because people who live there are really pleasant. Quebec is a province with a very different culture and has very different values. Family is at the top of them. If you are searching for a sunshine city, go to Miami, if you are searching for a working city, go to Toronto or Chicago! If you want a incredible nightlife and daylife city, go to Las Vegas. If you search a city that offers you a little bit of all that and a city where you will be happy, go to Montreal! By the way, Ottawa is only at 2 hours from Montreal so the weather is pretty the same! Yes, winter is long but people are warm so it's easier to pass through! Summer is generally warm and sometimes hot... fall is fairly good too! So in conclusion, Montreal is unique and is way better than many other cities in North America in my opinion. *( Hope my english was O.K.! )

Old 10-14-2008, 07:18 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,631,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyRise View Post
It's probably because the Montreal Canadiens didn't made it to the series twice in two years so dark time was spinning over the city! But seriously, try to remember that francophones are in the middle of a ocean of english speakers so it's important that language favoritism doesn't make part of your opinion when you talk about Ottawa!

But when you were in Montreal, have you ever visited the markets in Montreal? Have you visited the Olympic Stadium? Have you been to a game of the Montreal Canadiens or the Montreal Alouettes? Have you explored all the national corners of the city? Have you been to the Mont Royal? Have you shoped(?!?)* in the beutiful stores on the Sainte-Catherine's street or in the underground connecting malls? Have you eaten in one of many good restaurants of the city and have you tasted Montreal's famous bagels? Have you been outside Montreal to see astonishing landscapes like in the Eastern Townships where an important english community takes part of the place and where lakes, leafs in fall, mountains and little towns are magnificent? Have you been in the Laurentides with the colorful Mont-Tremblant village? Have you been in Quebec region or in Quebec City, an other great historical site because it's oldest city in North America?.... Well, I live in Sherbrooke, a great mid-size city about one hour and a half from Montreal, and I havn't seen or done all what I mentioned in 20 years!

Montreal is fabulous, not only because all of that, but because people who live there are really pleasant. Quebec is a province with a very different culture and has very different values. Family is at the top of them. If you are searching for a sunshine city, go to Miami, if you are searching for a working city, go to Toronto or Chicago! If you want a incredible nightlife and daylife city, go to Las Vegas. If you search a city that offers you a little bit of all that and a city where you will be happy, go to Montreal! By the way, Ottawa is only at 2 hours from Montreal so the weather is pretty the same! Yes, winter is long but people are warm so it's easier to pass through! Summer is generally warm and sometimes hot... fall is fairly good too! So in conclusion, Montreal is unique and is way better than many other cities in North America in my opinion. *( Hope my english was O.K.! )
Your english was perfect. Um, I haven't visited any of the places you described! lol. I don't think my mom every found the time to go to these places. I just remember going around the city a few times and didn't like what I saw. And I don't know. I lived around the surburb part of Montreal. Where all the houses and schools were. I had no prior knowledge that Montreal had a stadium!! Wow, that's incredible. I guess it's not the same as it was when I left.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:02 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I had no prior knowledge that Montreal had a stadium!! Wow, that's incredible. I guess it's not the same as it was when I left.
The stadium has been there since 1976.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:23 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,386,062 times
I think an important question being missed here is what do you need to do to move to Canada. They're not going to let you just move right in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal