Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 06:36 PM

8 posts, read 25,850 times

Advertisements

We are a family of four including two children under two. I am bilingual and French (from France) and my husband is Canadian, and only speaks English. He travels a lot for his job and I am not happy at our current location so we are looking for other options. Montreal sounds ideal but I would like to know more about settling there as a family. My children are not school-aged yet but I would be interested in knowing more about the education system (as well as daycares). Would I be able to rely solely on public transportations? Are there many activities and opportunities for children, playgroups, mama/baby groups? What are the best areas for families to live in? I read and hear everywhere about the lack of job there - I have a degree in English (my husband already has a good job), what are my options? Are all jobs lacking or are there jobs that are easier to find?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 02:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,365,152 times
Its a city with 3 and a half million people be assured it has everything you need including an excellent public transportation system, if your hubby already has a job thats great, you didnt say what kind of job you are looking for but being French you probably wont have too much trouble.
Give it a try, if it doesnt work out you could always move some where else.
Welcome to the forum..

Old 09-04-2013, 03:33 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,536,606 times
There are 7 dollar a day daycares subsidized by the government, but demand is high and there can be a waiting list so sometimes people also resort to private daycares. Since your husband is English Canadian you have the choice of sending your children to public school in French or English and there are also French and English private schools. Those private schools that follow the public school curriculum are subsidized and cheaper than those private schools which do not. Elementary school is Kindergarden to grade 6, high school grade 7 to grade 11, then there's CEGEP which is free with the exception of some school fees where one completes a three year work program or a two year pre-university program. After this, one does three years at a university to get a bachelor degree. After that grad school works like everywhere else in the world.

You would be able to rely solely on public transportation if you'd like in all but the most distant and autocentric suburban areas, but it's more convenient the closer you are to the city proper and the subway lines.

Lots of opportunities for all those family things you mentioned.

That depends on what kind of lifestyle you want. It's a very big city, I can't just name you some random neighbourhood, most of the neighbourhoods in the metro would be fine places to raise a family.

Unemployment isn't that bad, things are better than they are in France, indeed most of Europe. There are plenty of jobs to be found, unemployment in Montreal is roughly average for Eastern Canada. Being so fluently bilingual as a Frenchwoman with an English degree, and having that university education to your name, i'm sure you'll be able to find some sort of employment without too much trouble. What kind of job are you looking for?

Old 09-04-2013, 04:41 AM

Thank you both for your replies.
I am looking for office work but I am pretty open to whatever is available!
We live in a very quiet area at the moment and I can't go anywhere without a car (public transportation is close to non-existant) and being from Paris and having lived in London, I am desperate for the city!

I want to be as central as possible (but obviously rent will be something to consider so a good compromise between central and reasonably priced), I want to have access to parks/playgrounds within walking distance, and be able to run errands without it being the trip of the year! Does that make sense?
I know someone from France who lives in Montreal and she has been quite negative about the employment situation (although she has a good job now) so that was a bit of a concern. But I am willing to get some experience before getting a more professional job if need be. Are there areas that are more English-speaking than others?

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate your inputs!

Old 09-04-2013, 04:43 AM

Oh also, do you have to move in in July to find a place or is it still possible at other times of year?

Do you know any Montessori schools/daycares?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,365,152 times
Most leases run from july To july but if you move into a place in September they'll usually adjust the first lease to end in July.

Areas to live? i would look to the western part of downtown probably in the NDG area or perhaps south of downtown in the Verdun area.

Cant help much with job but online job search engines can be useful eg;
Office Clerk Jobs in Montreal, Montréal, QC
Or read the classified ads of the local French newspapers.

Montessori schools shouldnt be a problem.
https://www.google.ca/#q=montessori+...al&safe=active

Last edited by jambo101; 09-04-2013 at 11:33 AM..

Old 09-04-2013, 12:00 PM

Thank you Jambo101!! I have a lot of researching to do now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal