Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 03:55 PM

5 posts, read 148,140 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I have been doing lots of research and reading through this site, but was wondering what neighborhoods people thought would be best for a family (considering a 3 year assignment) moving from 2 blocks north of Washington, DC to Montreal? We like urban areas with lots of parks, mass transit (orange line a plus), restaurants, etc. Schools are a also a priority as my oldest will be entering pre-K in the fall.

We are looking at Westmount, TMR, and Outremont. Also in contention (but think it might be too far out) are Kirkland and Beaconsfield.

We would also love to bring our dog, but noticed there are not many places that allow them.

My husband speaks French and the rest of us are learning, but would prefer a mostly English-speaking neighborhood.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 05:37 PM

323 posts, read 1,390,676 times
N.D.G. area aka Notre-Dame-De Grace around Monkland street. Near the Villa Maria Metro on the orange line is one area you might like to look into. T.M.R. and Westmount are nice areas too but all these areas mentioned are very expensive. Don't know the Outremont area so I can't say. T.M.R. might be a tad far or not depending. Westmont is very hilly to say the least with mansions to boot. Anyway the N.D.G. area borders Westmont. I am not too crazy for the Snowdon metro area on Queen Mary. It is so hectic around there and that metro feels like you are walking forever to get to the train platform. The Decarie expressway cuts through Oueen Mary blvd. with all that traffic around there getting off or on the expressway.

I live in Verdun and I love the parkland around here but it's on the green Metro line.
You will probably have to put your child in a French school once they start the first grade unless one parent went to English school here, in case you didn't know. Monkland in N.D.G. btw has many restaurants and certainly has it's charms.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the info on NDG/Monkland! I have been looking at rentals there and they are more affordable and the large number of restaurants and parks are a great plus!

We are also excited about the French school system since we were hoping to put him in French immersion in the states.

Thanks again!

Old 03-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Air

150 posts, read 537,878 times
You might also consider Nun's Island (Ile des Soeurs). Minutes to downtown, but excellent for children. In fact, people refer to it as a child's paradise. Much nicer than a suburb, minutes to downtown, very safe, full of free activities for children, parks, dog parks, pools, tennis, paths, great schooling and daycares with no problems getting in, as there are in Westmount and NDG. Bilingual, if not international, because many UN and consulate families live there. There is a large company that controls the rental apartments and townhouses called Metropolitan Structures, and there are also rentals of all the privately owned condos, townhouses and detached houses that can be found on LesPAC - Site d'annonces classées numéro 1 au Québec. Immobilier, Autos, Emplois, Rencontres et plus or other websites.

What I like about Nun's Island is that the buildings are constructed in concrete. Most of Montreal has used very thin wood construction, which means a lot of neighbour problems if you have children and pets.

There is good public transport from Nun's Island, too.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:19 PM

I had not found out a great deal about Nun's Island, but last night I came across a great looking rental. The UN factor is also a plus, since the assignment would be through them.

The concrete sound barrier goes both ways, but yes, very helpful with the kids and pets!

Thanks for the great information. I am getting really excited and hope this move all works out.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Air

150 posts, read 537,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmom View Post
The concrete sound barrier goes both ways, but yes, very helpful with the kids and pets!
This is true, especially since Montreal has a very high university student population. (;

You might want to do your purchasing in the States before you come, because the prices and sales tax are much higher in Quebec. But don't worry, you can always pop down to Plattsburgh or Burlington, if you forget something.

One thing you will love are all the cultural events, in particular how your little ones will be catered to. The Children's Film Festival just ended, and even at the Jazz Festival there will be stroller parkings spots, nursing and diaper stations equipped with wipes, free face painting by Cirque du Soleil artists -- you'll have a great time.

Don't skimp on the snowsuits, boots, mittens, hats, scarves, etc, for outdoor times. Indoors, everything is very warm, no worries. July, however, may be just as hot as DC, so don't forget the swimwear.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:07 AM

2 posts, read 37,698 times
Hi there. I wonder if you have found a place to live yet. If not, I just wanted to give my suggestions. . . Nun's Island is not that practical. It's not so easy to get downtown with kids from there (need to take the car etc.) and, it's quite french. schools also are probably all french. My suggestion is westmount. Kirkland and Beaconsfield, way too far, if you want 'urban'. and, it depends what you mean by 'urban' :-) - how close to the city do you want to be. What is great about westmount is that you're one bus and 5 minutes from downtown, plus there are great shops and restaurants right there (not to mention the best grocery store in the city). Of course, Westmount is expensive, but any and all great neighbourhoods are... Westmount is expensive without the attitude, in general people are very friendly. TMR and OUtrement, again, are not easy to get in and out of. Beautiful neighbourhoods for sure, and TMR is really english, but not really 'urban'. Outremont is not really 'english' :-)
my 2 cents

Old 07-02-2008, 10:23 AM

Default Thanks!

We actually have decided on Westmount. After loads of internet research we took a vacation to Montreal and found that Westmount met all of our needs. Now we are just waiting on the official word and to find a great rental. Thanks again!

Old 09-03-2008, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 34,698 times
verdun is far the best. It has parks beautiful homes close to shops and downtown and accessible to all highways. Beautiful gardens and so much renovation going on. I love it here!!!

Old 09-12-2008, 12:08 PM

15 posts, read 88,330 times
In my search I have found a great site that gives a nice description of the various neighborhoods of Montreal, as well as available rentals.
Neighbourhoods -- Montreal Bits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal