Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 5,305 times

Advertisements

Here is my situation, I'm Polish citizen living in NY (soon i will be US citizen), but i studied in FRANCE(so i speak really well FRENCH which is basically my first language)
I'm planning to move to montreal,
I'm married, my wife is US citizen, but doesn't speak French. she will not work for now, we do not have kids.
Im now filling the application to Quebec
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.q...dcs-en-dyn.pdf
and at the beginning there is a section
"Is a spouse accompanying you?"
yes she will, but my question is, is it safer to "sponsor" her when we will arrive to Montreal, and all my paper work will be done or we should fill it up at the same time?

sorry for my bad English but it's my 3rd language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 09:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Why go to all the trouble of becoming a citizen of the USA and then before the ink is dry doing the whole immigration process over again in a move to Canada. ?
I have no idea how to help with the question about your wife. perhaps visiting a Canadian immigration forum might get some answers.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 5,305 times
my wife's family live in the USA.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:32 PM

304 posts, read 1,425,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielny View Post
my wife's family live in the USA.
Congrats on US citizenship! Immigration Canada is such a complete cluster**** that I don't know what to tell you nor to tell you where to go in order to avoid the intricacies of the 'mysterious process'. Unfortunately, you probably fall into the 'desirable immigrant' category that has fallen out of favour. You would have more luck either buying your citizenship or declaring refugee status. Either drop a few 100 grand in a bank and buy your way in or prove that you come from a 3rd world hellhole and want to live with your peers in some non-english speaking ghetto in Toronto.

I wish you luck!

Old 07-01-2013, 12:41 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,523,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfanman View Post
Congrats on US citizenship! Immigration Canada is such a complete cluster**** that I don't know what to tell you nor to tell you where to go in order to avoid the intricacies of the 'mysterious process'. Unfortunately, you probably fall into the 'desirable immigrant' category that has fallen out of favour. You would have more luck either buying your citizenship or declaring refugee status. Either drop a few 100 grand in a bank and buy your way in or prove that you come from a 3rd world hellhole and want to live with your peers in some non-english speaking ghetto in Toronto.

I wish you luck!
A little cynical there bud, the guy is a prime immigration candidate and will probably be admitted. Unfortunately, not being an immigrant myself I have no idea as to whether it is better to apply with the spouse during your application or once landed, my apologies.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:12 AM

127 posts, read 269,116 times
First
your wife HAVE TO be added in your application as accompanying spouse , you can even have bonus points if she speaks french and and some other qualifications.
If you want to come first : in your permanent resident application you will have to fill a form for "non accompanying dependants" and you will have to give a serious reasons why your wife doesn't come with you.
US citizenship allows you to stay in Canada 6 months for visiting.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,109 times
Hello to Everyone.
hope you guys are doing great.
I recently got Canadian immigrant and made a visit in May 2013. I stayed in Toronto and Montreal. My wife is from Canada and I am from Pakistan however currently living in UAE and working as a Senior Corporate Banking Officer in one of the leading bank of UAE.

We are planning to move Canada in coming Nov-Dec 2013 (In Montreal) as my brother and sister are there as I heard that education is a bit cheaper so I would like to go to Business School and do my EMBA but I first need to find employment to gain more experience and earn some income. Then I know that not only you obviously have to be fluent in French to increase your job prospects, but immigration laws are very strict and tough in Quebec even for qualified workers. That is pretty much my conclusion after conducting some research

However I am very much concerned about my job in Montreal as I heard that employment for immigrants is a tough task in Montreal due to bilingual
Currently I am earning tax free $70,000 p.a. and I am very much happy the way things going here however, due to immigrations requirement, we have to stay till completion of three year out of 5 years.
I am too scared as per my brother in Montreal getting job in Montreal is near to impossible not only because of bilingual but also I don’t have Canadian education.
Since I am having a good job here so it looks harder to leave unless I will be sure to get atleast a some sort of job in Montreal where I will atleast run my monthly expense with my family. I know the cost of living (especially housing) is lower compared to Toronto, but my wife and I would like to live comfortably just as we are now in UAE. (though it is tough)
Speaking of my wife, she has left 3 semesters to complete her BBA from York Univeristy so in order to live in Montreal she also needs to transfer her credits into any business University in Montreal. Since she is not a working woman thus I have to take care her expense as well till she completes her studies.
If we move to Montreal, I would be the only source of income, at least until I and my wife finds a job and/ or odd jobs. We do not know French (although we both willing to learn) good things is that university in Montreal does not require French
So here are the questions:
1) how much funds I need to have to live comfortably in a nice 1 bedroom apartment in a nice area where we find transportation easily (though I have valid UAE international license but I heard that immigrants needs to get Canadian license in order to drive in Canada), do groceries, go out for a movie on weekends or whatever kind of entertainment, and occasionally go out for dinner? We don't care about living lavishly, just comfortably.
2) What are the chances of getting job in Montreal since I have got 8 years of relevant banking experience (2.5 year UAE and 6 years Pakistani).
3) How people find job in Montreal ( like though recruitment agencies, HR consultants, direct hiring etc. can anyone provide some good HR consultants who arrange jobs for professional immigrants.
4) if not relevant then how fast I can get a odd jobs, (what are odd jobs by the way in Montreal).
5) what would be the best time to move in to Montreal considering job prospects.

6) if I will not find a banking job in Montreal then what would be the industry I should consider and work accordingly(like education planning, courses etc).
7) Will my wife have difficulties finding a credit transfers from York College to any good Montreal university.
We are trying to figure out if the move is worth it. I do believe i will find a job eventually, but who knows how long that would take.

We are living pretty comfortably here in Dubai, I make fairly good income, The flipside is that we hear good things about Montreal as a city, it's more "artsy", not as rushed as Dubai is, and we are intrigued at the thought of starting completely anew and building our own family.

Any advice would be great. Thank you in advance.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal