Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,283 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a 20 year old community college student who wants to immigrate to Montreal Canada ASAP. I study International marketing and Dental assisting. I study French.

I don't have much and I don't need much, I was in the Navy reserves, but it was a decision that turned iut to be not-so-great, and now I'm out. I just need to get out of the U.S. ASAP. I want a real life.

Is this difficult to do? I mean what could be so hard about it. No, I don't have any family there, but I just want to at least come there to study and then live there.

What kinds of problems could I run into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 05:27 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
The usual first step..
Home page - Citizenship and Immigration Canada - Canada

Dont get your hopes up that this process will happen quickly. for permanent residency status budget at least a year and a half of dealing with bureaucracy and that would be if no problems arise.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:48 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The usual first step..
Home page - Citizenship and Immigration Canada - Canada

Dont get your hopes up that this process will happen quickly. for permanent residency status budget at least a year and a half of dealing with bureaucracy and that would be if no problems arise.
It's a lot of faster if you get accepted to a Canadian university and come over on a student visa. I think the government's changing things right now to make it easier for those people to settle in Canada when they're done. Your best bet is to apply to a Canadian university and come over to study. Even paying foreign rates, the schools are still cheaper than American ones are, could be a great experience.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 12-16-2012 at 07:13 PM..

Old 12-16-2012, 10:46 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,864,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
Hello, I'm a 20 year old community college student who wants to immigrate to Montreal Canada ASAP. I study International marketing and Dental assisting. I study French.
Be sure to select the courses leading to a Diploma/DEP:
1) from a university in Quebec, or
2) a public or private educational institution (CEGEP) in Quebec, recognized by Quebec's Ministry of Education
Établissements d'enseignement collégial
3) the total course hours be 1800 minimum

If you go for a Bachelor's degree (3-year or 4-year course), you won't have to worry about the 1800 study-hours requirement.

Quote:
No, I don't have any family there, but I just want to at least come there to study and then live there.

What kinds of problems could I run into?
If you have been trained from young to chores like cleaning, washing and preparing simple meals for yourself, it should be easy.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:51 PM

43 posts, read 117,631 times
Student visa is the way to go. It will be a good experience, Montreal is very multicultural, unlike the country you will be leaving which only attracts Hispanics and Indians you will get to meet all types. Just do it, I am jeaulous cuz I am from there. Your english speaking, so you should live in the Plateau, Place St Henri or NDG which are all near Subway/Metro stops.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,283 times
Ooh, this is really good information. Thanks. Although I became scared that I would become a bum after I moved there which is a real possibility isn't it? I mean here in America I don't have a car yet because I really wanted to wait until I go to Canada.

I don't even know what the budget would be.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:58 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,865,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhotdog View Post
Student visa is the way to go. It will be a good experience, Montreal is very multicultural, unlike the country you will be leaving which only attracts Hispanics and Indians you will get to meet all types. Just do it, I am jeaulous cuz I am from there. Your english speaking, so you should live in the Plateau, Place St Henri or NDG which are all near Subway/Metro stops.
The U.S. only attracts Hispanics and Indians? That is so absurd a statement that I can't imagine you're serious about it.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
The U.S. only attracts Hispanics and Indians? That is so absurd a statement that I can't imagine you're serious about it.
OK, your right not 'only' I am just generalizing from what I've seen having lived in WI, IL, CO, and now TX. There are a high number of people from the two aforementioned places relative to other groups based upon my observations that come to the beautiful USA.

Montreal is a lot more multicultural than most cities, unlike the perception that people speak French and English, many Montrealer's speak three languages on a daily basis, their native tongue, Fr & Eng. For example In Montreal's little Italy you will hear people speaking Italian, I can't remember hearing Italian spoken in any other so called Italian community in NA.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:03 AM

37,237 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhotdog View Post
OK, your right not 'only' I am just generalizing from what I've seen having lived in WI, IL, CO, and now TX. There are a high number of people from the two aforementioned places relative to other groups based upon my observations that come to the beautiful USA.

Montreal is a lot more multicultural than most cities, unlike the perception that people speak French and English, many Montrealer's speak three languages on a daily basis, their native tongue, Fr & Eng. For example In Montreal's little Italy you will hear people speaking Italian, I can't remember hearing Italian spoken in any other so called Italian community in NA.
Still, you should probably know better given the US has about 300 million people and you've only been to the tiniest patch of it. Even a quick look at census data would show you what's the haps.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Still, you should probably know better given the US has about 300 million people and you've only been to the tiniest patch of it. Even a quick look at census data would show you what's the haps.
You're right, It was a dumb statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal