Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 08:37 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,144,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post

I agree with one of your previous statements, that in countries where an official language is proclaimed, that this official language is improving and becoming the language of everyday life, but I truly believe that Montréal is an exception to this rule because:

Yes, as I said, the situation in Montreal and Quebec is not quite the same due to some unique factors. So you don't have the full power of the "consolidation push" here. Only a less powerful version - I do think it is still happening slowly though.

I'd say the absolute worst-case scenario is probably the status quo though. There are a number of factors like all those immigrant kids now in French schools, the collapse of native anglophone immigration (often replaced by more French-oriented immigrants) and the trickle of outmigrating Anglo-Montrealers that will continue to help French hold its own.

It's still not quite the same as French in Geneva or Flemish in Antwerpen, I concede.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 09:09 AM

631 posts, read 565,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, as I said, the situation in Montreal and Quebec is not quite the same due to some unique factors. So you don't have the full power of the "consolidation push" here. Only a less powerful version - I do think it is still happening slowly though.

I'd say the absolute worst-case scenario is probably the status quo though. There are a number of factors like all those immigrant kids now in French schools, the collapse of native anglophone immigration (often replaced by more French-oriented immigrants) and the trickle of outmigrating Anglo-Montrealers that will continue to help French hold its own.

It's still not quite the same as French in Geneva or Flemish in Antwerpen, I concede.
I highly respect your view here. However, there are unique hurdles to keeping French viable in Quebec:

(1) the omnipresence of American popular culture, especially now that IT innovations make it available for everyone, and children of immigrants (and native Francophones) are really drawn to it;

(2) Quebec shares a long border with the Anglophonie--language statistics of (some) Quebec communities on the border with New Brunswick, Vermont and Ontario (where Francophones rub shoulders with Anglophones locally) show declines in French as used in the home;

(3) Montreal does not really have much of a Francophone hinterland to the south and west; and

(4) once the percentage of Francophones falls below a particular threshold, Anglicization quickly takes hold--I think it's once this percentage falls below 85.

BUT, I hope you are right.

Last edited by 2ner; 05-17-2018 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-17-2018, 11:55 AM

565 posts, read 674,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
I highly respect your view here. However, there are unique hurdles to keeping French viable in Quebec:

(1) the omnipresence of American popular culture, especially now that IT innovations make it available for everyone, and children of immigrants (and native Francophones) are really drawn to it;
I think this is a factor that is grossly exagerated by English-speakers. No, kids and teens in Quebec do not, generally, consume English-language cultural material, with the exception of music (and even then, they usually don't understand the lyrics). The vast majority of them do not watch American TV shows, and the movies are dubbed in French, so they have no real influence on the language front. Netflix shows are all dubbed in French, so again there is no need to watch them in English.

IT innovations? Meh. They're all available in French anyway.

Quote:
(2) Quebec shares a long border with the Anglophonie--language statistics of (some) Quebec communities on the border with New Brunswick, Vermont and Ontario (where Francophones rub shoulders with Anglophones locally) show declines in French as used in the home;
Are you sure about that? I don't see how living close to the border influences the language spoken at home. There aren't much cross-border contacts, really. People in Rooses Point do not speak French because their neighbours 10km north in Lacolle do, and vice-versa.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:21 PM

518 posts, read 400,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
most local Montrealers and long-time residents don't see that as a "positive" because:

1. Fast increasing real estate prices that are pricing out locals (these days a run-down triplex near Mont-Royal-Avenue can fetch as much as $800k just because some French buyer finds it "charming" and can easily afford with Euros)
2. Crowded streets, shops, cafes, restos
3. Rude manners and arrogant attitude towards locals from the French immigrants

The boost to French language is a plus, but it comes with many downsides as well.
What you describe very accurately reflects the majority opinion of the local people of Plateau Mont Royal, yet there will be other opinions besides the majority opinion, and each opinion will likely reflect the interests of the person that expresses such an opinion.
As Karl Marx said: „In a capitalist society, human action is largely influenced by economic self-interests and different milieus will have different interests.

Moreover, what you describe is typical for many major cities in the western world: People come to urban centers and prices rise, the strongest real estate increases will be in the most popular districts, Montréal is no exception to this rule.
So, what you and Karl Marx said, explains why the majority of PMR dislikes the French, yet it does not nullify other opinions and other interests, that are also present. I know Montréal better than any other city on this Earth. From my perspective, in my opinion PMR can be lucky, even if the local majority there has reasons no to be and thinks otherwise (I know it won't make a difference to people in PMR whether French is spoken by 1% more or less), but they have their own perspective and their reasons are neither mine, nor the only universally valid.

So, here are examples of „milieus“ that have no problem with PMR becoming more French:

• Montréalais and Québécois who value the French language and France's culture very much and who do neither perceive your disadvantages as disadvantages nor as problematic
  • Touriststs from other countries, people from Montréal's suburbs and people from rural Québec, who like to see some French flair and hear some real European French when they are in Montréal
  • The French people themselves
  • People from other arrondissements for whom PMR has the function of being cool or a beautiful place to be somewhat different than the rest, and not the function of being a place to live cheaply
  • Trendy people from PMR themselves who feel re-affirmed that PMR is the hippest place to be, as reflected by the numbers of fancy people who come, for them the high price is secondary to reputation and the high price itself is a sign of reputation and popularity
  • People who are convinced, that if the French hadn't come to Montréal, other people would have come and take their place, thus no difference
  • Montréalais who realize that French people are not the only ones raising real estates, since Chinese buy increasingly on West Island, some anglophones go to PMR or other arrondissments or Nouveau West Island... they are simply not as apparent as the French
  • Montréalais who think it's better that the French come, because US-American investors are the number one group of buying Montréal's real estates but they don't live in Montréal, whereas the French actually live and contribute to the city
  • Very rich people who can easily tolerate high price increases
  • People who try to make business connections with France and need people who know France well
  • People who think that the French better integrate into Montréal than other groups

While, there are indeed some very rich French who buy real estates, I think the majority of French who come is no richer and no poorer than the average of local people in these districts. There are so many investors and buyers, French just happen to be larger group.

The French serve as a scapegoat and unfortunately Québeckers often are united by mutual dislike against "others", as are US-Americans united when they are leading wars against other countries and have the impression these wars are legitimate.

I'm not part of this group, I belong to the minority that likes the French and does not take part in French bashing.

I would very welcome a French boost espacially for Ville-Marie and it's anglo-areas.

How about keeping French stable first in Ville-Marie? Do you think a French boost would turn VM into something like PMR, what if I told you that a French boost would simply keep French stable?

Ville-Marie and the McGill greater ghetto area lost percentual francophone native speakers in the past 15 years and continues to anglicize. It's not normal for a city to have a city centre whose entire half is occupied by a minority. Under such conditions migrants will have many reasons not to integrate into the francophone community. So the French boost should compensate for the loss of French native speakers and preferably reach those levels French had 15 years ago.

15 years ago McGill and the other anglo establishments also all worked fine with some more % in French in their area, so they should get this % in French back, and will still function in English.

A French boost would not make Ville-Marie as francophone as Plateau-Mont-Royal, it would simply prevent French from further deteriorating and further declining in Ville-Marie.
Ville-Marie is loosing francophones, it needs a boost at the same time to compensate for the decline. Then, not to forget, the francophone eastern half of Ville-Marie also lost francophones over the past 15 years. Furthermore, French as a native language only increased by 1% between 2011 and 2016 in Plateau Mont Royal, from 63% to 64%. So, the fear of some people who think that French migration is turning their city into something more expensive, is vastly overexaggerated, without the French, migration would still go on, other rich investors would come, only from other people (Québec has definite TARGET GOALS, that means 50,000 people will definitely come, no matter who and Québec has an investor program for rich people, interestings that people from PMR don't complain about Asians who buy real estates, then again, the Asians buy many real estates, but don't show up, it's the French who are unfairly scapegoats in many situations, also the people in PMR who vote for liberal parties should think about there voting choices.. Also the Chinese investors buy now on West Island and local people there "escape", either to Nouveau West Island or to other parts of the city including Plateau-Mont-Royal, it's interesting that people don't complain about anglophones who come to PMR and also raise real estate price and about the other groups that buy real estates) and even a French boost from France has only a 1-2% effect in a district...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Yes, Geneva is lucky to have France next to it and Antwerpen is lucky to have the Netherlands near it.

Quote:

(3) Montreal does not really have much of a Francophone hinterland to the south and west; and

BUT, I hope you are right.

That's a very good reason. The border with US-America is just 55km away from downtown Montréal, and the border with Ontario is just some kilometers more away. The anglophone world is very, very close and Montréal has no large hinterland to draw people from. Now, the greater metropolitan area accounts for 50% of Québec's population and only has 4 million people to draw from. Also, the metro area is more and more expanding towards the border with Ontario.
I just wonder, right now, the metro has 4 million people and officially reaches up to St. Lazare, how will it be when it will have 6 million inhabitants? It will reach the Québec-Ontario border in a more distant future because anglophones are expanding towards the west (to Vaudreuil Dorion and St Lazare and Hudson and soon more west).

Boulevard Saint Laurent basically divides Montréal into the English-speaking West and the Frenchspeaking-East. Personally, I feel like Ontario and the US reach up to Saint Laurent Boulevard, so that Montréal itself is the border between Anglo-America and francophone Québec.
Everything that is west of Saint Laurent is already Ontario and US-America because there is an English-speaking corridor. You can go from McGill area to the Airport Dorval area, it is mainly an anglophone area. The comes the rest of the West Island, which is mainly anglo, too. Then more, west, comes Vaudreuil Dorion, which is massively anglicizing and more west are St. Lazare which is also anglicizing very much, close to it is Hudson, which already is an English town, and just a few kilometers further away is already Ontario and no more French. Actually, I think there is now only one French-speaking village that seperates the anglicisinzg suburbs from Ontario. So, basically, the border between Anglo-America and francophone America lies in Montréal.

Last edited by QuebecOpec; 05-17-2018 at 01:10 PM..

Old 05-17-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
I think this is a factor that is grossly exagerated by English-speakers. No, kids and teens in Quebec do not, generally, consume English-language cultural material, with the exception of music (and even then, they usually don't understand the lyrics). The vast majority of them do not watch American TV shows, and the movies are dubbed in French, so they have no real influence on the language front. Netflix shows are all dubbed in French, so again there is no need to watch them in English.

IT innovations? Meh. They're all available in French anyway.
I was really thinking of children of immigrants more than Francophones, but your point is well taken about Francophones. Akos Verboczy criticized the masses of children of immigrants at places like Dawson College and Concordia University for chasing the nebulous American pop culture dream, without really knowing what is in it for them, rather than identifying with what is really unique around them -- a native, localized Francophone culture that would really root them in place. That is what I was thinking of when I wrote that comment. I've been to Dawson College and it is a "Rainbow Nation" of students who express themselves in fluent (i.e., "native") N.A. English. Too, children of immigrants (Allophones) have much higher rates of consumption of U.S. cultural materials than peer-aged Francophones, if reports by the OQLF are to be believed. Unfortunately, if you care about the long-term viability of French in Quebec, this is a reality.

Quote:
Are you sure about that? I don't see how living close to the border influences the language spoken at home. There aren't much cross-border contacts, really. People in Rooses Point do not speak French because their neighbours 10km north in Lacolle do, and vice-versa.
I did say *some* and you notice I didn't include New York. I've been to Rouses Point and Lacolle. They are not linguistically integrated at all. I was thinking specifically of Stanstead, QC and Quebec towns on the Ottawa River, where Francophones live with proportionally strong Anglophone populations. I hazard to guess that the same phenomenon is eroding French in towns on the Gaspe Peninsula near New Brunswick, but I may be wrong here.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:47 PM

565 posts, read 674,681 times
Quote:
I was really thinking of children of immigrants more than Francophones, but your point is well taken about Francophones. Akos Verboczy criticized the masses of children of immigrants at places like Dawson College and Concordia University for chasing the nebulous American pop culture dream, without really knowing what is in it for them, rather than identifying with what is really unique around them -- a native, localized Francophone culture that would really root them in place. That is what I was thinking of when I wrote that comment. I've been to Dawson College and it is a "Rainbow Nation" of students who express themselves in fluent (i.e., "native") N.A. English. Too, children of immigrants (Allophones) have much higher rates of consumption of U.S. cultural materials than peer-aged Francophones, if reports by the OQLF are to be believed. Unfortunately, if you care about the long-term viability of French in Quebec, this is a reality.
I understand, and agree. But it depends on the immigrant background, really. Immigrants from Latin America, the Maghreb and sub-saharian Africa tend to consume Quebec cultural material, much, much more than people from previous waves of immigrations. Asians and Middle-Easterners, maybe not as much.

Quote:
I did say *some* and you notice I didn't include New York. I've been to Rouses Point and Lacolle. They are not linguistically integrated at all. I was thinking specifically of Stanstead, QC and Quebec towns on the Ottawa River, where Francophones live with proportionally strong Anglophone populations. I hazard to guess that the same phenomenon is eroding French in towns on the Gaspe Peninsula near New Brunswick, but I may be wrong here.
Most of these places along the border were mostly English-speaking to begin with. If anything, I believe they are becoming more French-speaking as time passes, not less.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Most of these places along the border were mostly English-speaking to begin with. If anything, I believe they are becoming more French-speaking as time passes, not less.
If you look at the latest StatCan mother tongue vs home language statistics, French is clearly losing ground to English in linguistically mixed border towns in Quebec, but this may be time-lagged, as in the language transfers occurred a generation or two ago, but this is no longer happening among children. It would not surprise me, though, if in communities with significant Anglophone populations, young Francophone kids bear the brunt of bilingualism (i.e., they speak English with neighborhood Anglophone children and not the other way around). I read an account of a Francophone family that moved to a West-Island neighborhood from some other region of Quebec, but later decided to move to eastern Montreal because it was so difficult to raise their children in French in Ouest-de-l'ÃŽle Montreal.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:25 PM

518 posts, read 400,050 times
Quote:
Yes of course, it does. Proximity is extremely crucial. Anglophones in Québec live mainly in the south-west of Montréal, near to the Ontario and US-American border. There is an an English-speaking corridor that stretches from Ville-Marie until St. Lazare and Hudson, only 20km away from the Ontario Border and in future it will furter expand towards the Ontario border.

The area between Dorval Airport and Hudson, is an Anglicization corridor, that means that it significantly influences the language spoken (everyday language) at home: Native francophones give up French and switch more often towards English than vice versa.

Some examples:
The first figure is the figure for French as native language. The one in ( ) is for French as the language most spoken at home.

Senneville 32,6 (28,3)
Dorval 29,6 (27,2)
Pointe-Claire 21,5 (18,2)
Kirkland 19,6 (16,3)
Saint-Lazare 52,5 (49,3)
Hudson 26,4 (20,3)
(Census 2016)

The number of French everyday speakers is lower in this entire area than their number of native speakers because francophones assimilate.
In the entire "Anglicization corridor", English however significantly rises as an everyday language because migrants and francophones adopt English as an everyday language - more than vice versa. English never loses its share once it is spoken by more than 10% in a town or arrondissement, French however is very weak. The border towns in Québec along US-America and Ontario also have a much stronger attraction force for English. This does not mean that all francophones switch to English, simply that more switch towards English than vice versa. The further you go into the interior of Québec, the stronger becomes French's attraction force. Actually, it's all about proximity. May I ask, are you anglophone or francophone or allophone? Are you Italian migrant in Montréal?

Quote:
I was really thinking of children of immigrants more than Francophones, but your point is well taken about Francophones. Akos Verboczy criticized the masses of children of immigrants at places like Dawson College and Concordia University for chasing the nebulous American pop culture dream, without really knowing what is in it for them, rather than identifying with what is really unique around them -- a native, localized Francophone culture that would really root them in place.

I've been to Rouses Point and Lacolle. They are not linguistically integrated at all. I was thinking specifically of Stanstead, QC and Quebec towns on the Ottawa River, where Francophones live with proportionally strong Anglophone populations. I hazard to guess that the same phenomenon is eroding French in towns on the Gaspe Peninsula near New Brunswick, but I may be wrong here.

I really like and adore Verboczy's statement

Quote:
I understand, and agree. But it depends on the immigrant background, really. Immigrants from Latin America, the Maghreb and sub-saharian Africa tend to consume Quebec cultural material, much, much more than people from previous waves of immigrations. Asians and Middle-Easterners, maybe not as much.

Yes, Latin Americans and African francophones are more favorable and positive towards Québec's French offers, Indians not at all.
Well, a part of Nouveau Brunswick's north is francophone, so when you go from a Québec border town to a NB border town, it's often usually still the same language. Whether these towns (at the language border), far away from the cities, become French or English, also largely depends on migration. In general, English always has a stronger attraction force, but anglophones tend to move away to cities, so these villages may become more francophone over time. It's a mix.

Quote:
French is clearly losing ground to English in linguistically mixed border towns in Quebec, but this may be time-lagged, as in the language transfers occurred a generation or two ago, but this is no longer happening among children.
It's very difficult because people, including migrants, in these mixed borders towns can send their kids to English school in Ontario or NB and get full English services there. That's why they are unlikely to give up English, while the Francophones, so close to the border to the anglophone world, are very interested into English. Montréal must pay attention otherwise it's south-west will become soon the easternmost part of Ontario...

Old 05-17-2018, 02:33 PM

I think a lot is being made of Quebec's border areas. I am familiar with most of the areas along the border and the only area where you can see there cross-border anglo-homogenization going on in to the west of Gatineau in Pontiac country (places like Shawville with Pembroke on the other side).

From the western Gatineau city limits all the way east to the outskirts of greater Montreal the Quebec side of the Ottawa River is majority francophone and "franco-normative" for lack of better term. The anglo share of the population ebbs and flows but it's never to the point where, say, the local Tim Hortons operates in English. Nor do town councils and anything else that is collective or community-based.

About 45 minutes east of Ottawa even if you're in Ontario the south shore of the river also becomes modestly franco-normative with admittedly a decent minority presence of English. This persists to Hawkesbury and also along the northern segment of the border in the "wedge" just to the west of Rigaud. Though the southern part of the border in the wedge towards the St. Lawrence River is francophone on the Quebec side, and anglophone on the Ontario side.

Then if you cross the St. Lawrence the border with American states tends to be pretty francophone on the Quebec side almost all the way to Maine, in spite of the places and only a handful of towns that are still primarily anglo and are holdovers from the era when the Eastern Townships were all anglo.

The border area with Madawaska NB and ME near across from Edmundston is basically 100% francophone in Quebec, 98% francophone in New Brunswick even in the range of 70% francophone (still) in Maine USA.

Further east the south coast of the Gaspé is primarily francophone with a few anglo minorities scattered here and there but like the Outaouais, is still very "franco-normative".

There is a short border region in the Campbellton region of NB there and that part of NB is almost 50-50 between francophones and anglophones. My sense and experience is that most of the contacts and relationships the Gaspésiens there will have are with Acadians, and that the NB border anglos don't have much to do with the Quebec side of the Restigouche River. Except maybe to go buy beer.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post

It's very difficult because people, including migrants, in these mixed borders towns can send their kids to English school in Ontario or NB and get full English services there. That's why they are unlikely to give up English, while the Francophones, so close to the border to the anglophone world, are very interested into English. Montréal must pay attention otherwise it's south-west will become soon the easternmost part of Ontario...
I would surmise that there are very very few immigrants in border towns like Grenville, Rivière-Beaudette, Dégelis and Pointe-à-la-Croix, and even so... you can't register for school in another province. Unless you use a fake address I guess. Which seems like a lot of trouble to go to.

I live in the biggest border city in Quebec and I know dozens of families with kids, maybe hundreds by association, and have never heard of anyone doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal