Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:47 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,630,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
I lived in Montreal & grew up in france... Montreal has nothing european like... heck even before immigrating to quebec, the agents tells us to not expect france in north america... totaly different

The Old Montreal area looks very similar to several areas I've been to in Europe.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:54 PM

77 posts, read 153,051 times
I've visited Europe, but went I later went to Montreal, I never thought of it as European. It feels very North American with the grid streets and the brick buildings. That's why I've considered one day moving to Montreal: it's French speaking but doesn't feel too foreign from my native Chicago.

My brother moved to England around 8 years ago, and while he loves it, he has to fly across an ocean to see all his friends and family just one week out of the year. I look to Montreal as a way to finally become fluent in French, without having to give up North America.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:10 PM

832 posts, read 1,259,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
The Old Montreal area looks very similar to several areas I've been to in Europe.
appart of some building, old montreal look nothing like europe.. I know since I grew up in france, lived in london & belgium as well...
& the european looking montreal is simply a myth.. Montreal feels a lot more like any north american city than any european ones...
Grinded streets, no round about, blocks, few curves, medium to large sidewalk, space between the sidewalk & the building alley... &Old montreal is just a very small section of montreal... It's like saying that new york looks like a chinese city because of chinatown...

I took 2 pictures of old montreal & also 3 of 2 different french city (Coulommiers & Marseille) & you will see a clear difference

Although old montreal can have a smal european feel, it is very different than france & europe as a whole

I don' even need to tell which are montreal & which are france... From a european native, it is very easy seeing the difference because i is not like europe
Attached Thumbnails
What's so great about Montreal?-mmont.jpg   What's so great about Montreal?-vieux.jpg   What's so great about Montreal?-ccou.jpg   What's so great about Montreal?-coul.jpg   What's so great about Montreal?-mmars.jpg  

Old 02-13-2012, 09:57 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,550,766 times
It's true, old Montreal is different from modern North America, but it's not European so much as just old North American, like old Boston, St. Louis, Philadelphia, etc. This architecture was obviously influenced by European styles, but these neighbourhoods would have been considered visibly distinct from Europe even when they were built. I'd still argue that Quebec has more cultural influence from Europe than English North America, though, because the larger French culture is more rooted in Europe than the Anglosphere is. It is, however, an unquestionably North American society, which is something many outsiders fail to understand.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:53 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,163,149 times
Quebec is best described as a "variant" on North America, sort of like Mexico is as well. (Mexico doesn't really look like Spain - it looks like Mexico.)

But I don't think it is accurate to say that Quebec is exactly like the rest of the continent (US and Canada) either. Yes, the layout and appearance of the place is more similar to North America than to Europe (with some exceptions), but there are still significant differences.

The best assessment is probably to say that Quebec is its own place.

And of course, we haven't even touched on the human/cultural aspects, where Quebec is quite different from the rest of the continent.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:09 AM

110 posts, read 621,544 times
It's not only a question of building. Yes, architecture and buildings are what we see at first sight but if one looks a little deeper one will notice many elements that are definitively european influence.

But besides buildings there is the culture, the language, the way of life and the people. That's also where Montreal's vibe is more european than any other north american city without a doubt.

The predominantly french language of Montreal automatically makes the english speaking people of North Amercia feel as if they we're in France. The culture is also a major factor. While Montreal has a culture of it's own, no one can dispute that it is partly european and partly north american.

Large streets filled with american brand names, square blocks, the importance of cars, huge bridges and tall buildings reminds us of New York, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia etc.

And then many small cafe's, many french bistros and restaurants, boulangerie's, the ''joie de vivre'', bicycle friendly a huge influx of french immigrants over the last 20 years or so are all signs that makes one feel he is partly in Europe when in Montreal.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:31 AM

832 posts, read 1,259,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoyne_42 View Post
It's not only a question of building. Yes, architecture and buildings are what we see at first sight but if one looks a little deeper one will notice many elements that are definitively european influence.

But besides buildings there is the culture, the language, the way of life and the people. That's also where Montreal's vibe is more european than any other north american city without a doubt.

The predominantly french language of Montreal automatically makes the english speaking people of North Amercia feel as if they we're in France. The culture is also a major factor. While Montreal has a culture of it's own, no one can dispute that it is partly european and partly north american.

Large streets filled with american brand names, square blocks, the importance of cars, huge bridges and tall buildings reminds us of New York, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia etc.

And then many small cafe's, many french bistros and restaurants, boulangerie's, the ''joie de vivre'', bicycle friendly a huge influx of french immigrants over the last 20 years or so are all signs that makes one feel he is partly in Europe when in Montreal.
the english language in north america gives it an english feeling like you were in london... see what I did there?

Old 02-22-2012, 02:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,439,885 times
Having lived in London for 12 years and living in Montreal for 35 years i can say that theres not much in Montreal to remind me of London linguistically speaking..

Old 02-22-2012, 07:14 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,163,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
the english language in north america gives it an english feeling like you were in london... see what I did there?
I sort of see your point but a place in northern North America where French is the main language as opposed to English is still an "outlier" and "exceptional" for a lot of people. If Quebec was Norwegian-speaking it would still be an outlier on this continent if the rest of NA remained the way it is.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:27 PM

230 posts, read 537,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoyne_42 View Post

Well stated. Montreal is an amazing city with a very unique vibe owing to its French influence. A city with charm and character. Moderator: snip

Last edited by sunshineleith; 02-23-2012 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: No need to go there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal