Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 11:04 PM

3,869 posts, read 5,295,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Also, Montreal is probably the most locally innovative and unique city in Canada when it comes to cuisine. Modern Québécois chefs like Louis-François Marcotte, Daniel Vézina and several others don't really have any equivalents with similar influence and star power in other Canadian cities.
Add to that Culinary Pioneers like Martin Picard, David MacMillan and Frédéric Morin who basically created their own style of cooking that cannot be replicated anywhere else in the world.

The Vancouver style of cooking can be easily replicated in places like Seattle, Portland and San Francisco (which is not an insult because all three are excellent food cities) But the Modern Québécois style of cooking is unique to the Montreal dining scene. The only decent version of this kind of food I have personally seen outside of Montreal is at M Wells in Queens NY and that is because the former Au pied de cochon sous Chef Hugue Dufour is the chef/owner.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:32 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,288,273 times
I love the old style dishes as well. My favourite . . . Tourtière du Lac-Saint-Jean

Old 03-04-2012, 07:39 AM

832 posts, read 1,256,140 times
For the restaurant I think it will be mostly biased personal opinion because we all have different tastes... For instance, I worked in a restaurant in downtown montreal & i didn't like the food there but when i saw that restaurant on google, it had very good customers reviews...

Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,139,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Thank you for this information, though I have to make a mental conversion into square miles. I never knew Paris was THAT much smaller than Montreal. True, Montreal occupies the eastern 1/2 to 2/3 of Montreal Island, more or less. The city goes all the way out to the eastern tip of Montreal Island, if I recall.

Also, did not know the relative population density of Paris and Montreal was THAT different. Montreal still feels pretty dense - in Cote des Neiges, around Hochelaga, and even north of Little Italy. I know that, on the Plateau, it is NEVER easy to find parking for a restaurant. So much of the housing stock in Montreal is townhomes or walk-up flats, most of which do not have parking in an alley behind, that parking is a hassle all over.
Density is much higher in Paris than Montreal for 3 reasons:

1) apartments are much smaller on average in Paris
2) the standard building model in many Paris neighborhoods is the 6-story Hausmann-style apartment building, vs. the Montreal triplex
3) Paris proper no longer has much industrial land left, while Montreal has huge industrial parks both to the east and the west (and low-density office parks)

Old 03-04-2012, 09:50 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,384,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Density is much higher in Paris than Montreal for 3 reasons:

1) apartments are much smaller on average in Paris
2) the standard building model in many Paris neighborhoods is the 6-story Hausmann-style apartment building, vs. the Montreal triplex
3) Paris proper no longer has much industrial land left, while Montreal has huge industrial parks both to the east and the west (and low-density office parks)
The kind that you walk up a wrought iron spiral staircase during an icy winter.

This is a great analysis. From movies I've seen, apartments in Paris do seem bigger, and with much taller ceilings.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:

This is a great analysis. From movies I've seen, apartments in Paris do seem bigger, and with much taller ceilings.
in movies they only shows selective part of paris, only rich part...
appartements in paris are realy tiny.. in paris you don't have room, u wont find town houses in paris

Old 03-05-2012, 11:40 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,139,609 times
Quote:

Taller ceilings is often true, but as jayo2k said you don't get a representative sample from movies. Buildings themselves are bigger but the apartments you see in movies are more often than not in select Rive Gauche neighborhoods or in the 16e arrondissement. Other than Amélie, you don't really see all that much Montmartre, Belleville or Ménilmontant. I'm not such a big movie fan but I don't remember many movies set in le Marais, IIIe, Temple, etc either.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:11 AM

Let's stay on topic please - Montreal.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:46 AM

What's your opinion about poutine? Personaly I like the sauce but not a fan of french fries with cheese & sauce... & sometimes meat

Old 03-06-2012, 11:55 AM

I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal