Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 02:16 PM

271 posts, read 532,085 times

Advertisements

The vibe is immediately different from any other city in North America. People don't rush back and forth from the office to their homes, even in the business district you don't see stuffy men dressed to the nines. It's gritty, working class, absolutely STUNNING near the water, nightlife is tremendous, people are reserved at first, but extremely friendly once they open up. Transportation is a breeze, a gorgeous city to walk through. It's safe, with the exception of a few blocks at night, 24/7. It's softer, more laid-back, with an abundance of culture and artistic community. You can chalk it up to the Quebecois' natural resistance to change as it's one of the few cultural jewels in North America that hasn't been entirely pillaged by corporatism and Disneyfied for tourists.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
The vibe is immediately different from any other city in North America. People don't rush back and forth from the office to their homes, even in the business district you don't see stuffy men dressed to the nines. It's gritty, working class, absolutely STUNNING near the water, nightlife is tremendous, people are reserved at first, but extremely friendly once they open up. Transportation is a breeze, a gorgeous city to walk through. It's safe, with the exception of a few blocks at night, 24/7. It's softer, more laid-back, with an abundance of culture and artistic community. You can chalk it up to the Quebecois' natural resistance to change as it's one of the few cultural jewels in North America that hasn't been entirely pillaged by corporatism and Disneyfied for tourists.
This just convinced me to run away to Montreal.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:46 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
It's a fairly accurate portrait.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:49 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
french people. french language.
better values, better priorities, better food prettier women.
2 things they do you dont. connect the dots and long range planning.
they also dont have much empathy for the entitlement people.
in montreal bums are not victims of a stereotyping judgemental society, they are bums.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:12 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,148 times
I enjoyed illcosby's description, am very much looking forward to my first visit to Montreal this summer.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:23 PM

832 posts, read 1,254,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FauteDeMieux View Post
We didn't get to stay very long, but my girlfriend and I drove through this summer. The place has a very European feel to it, and its location right on the St. Lawrence makes for some beautiful scenery.
I lived in Montreal & grew up in france... Montreal has nothing european like... heck even before immigrating to quebec, the agents tells us to not expect france in north america... totaly different

Last edited by jayo2k; 12-20-2011 at 04:06 PM..

Old 12-21-2011, 01:45 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
I lived in Montreal & grew up in france... Montreal has nothing european like... heck even before immigrating to quebec, the agents tells us to not expect france in north america... totaly different
As has been mentioned many many times on this forum and elsewhere, other North Americans will think Montreal feels European, and Europeans will think Montreal feels North American.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:50 AM

82 posts, read 618,977 times
I recently relocated to Montreal, after having lived on both coasts in Canada, some years in Montreal, and some south of the border in the US. I was raised in Europe as what's commonly called a "Base Brat" (My family was posted there with the military). I mention it as it informs my opinion of Montreal....

Which is that I adore it.

Culturally, it is an incredibly rich city that goes beyond what I would call "Tolerance" in it's day to day living (I am and will be referring to the Island of Montreal, as it's currently what I know of Montreal). Here you will find as diverse a cultural spectrum as to be found in similar great cities within the US (NY springs most readily to mind, though obviously Montreal is about 1/8th it's size). People from all manner of backgrounds seem to live with each other (as opposed to near each other, which is what I generally found to be the case in other Canadian cities like Toronto and Vancouver).
While there are many distinct cultural centers within the city (China town, little italy, etc), the lines that seperate them from the rest of the city are not quite so rigid. There's a beautiful mixing that goes on here the likes of which I've yet to experience elsewhere.

In my own neighbourhood, the most visible groups in the area are from Senegal, Vietnam, Bangladesh, Roman Catholic Francophone French Canadian, Russian/Ukranian, Austrian/German, Polish and Caribbean, all who seem to meet along this stretch of Chemain-De-La-Cotes-Des-Neiges (that's the street) just past the cemetery and near the campus of Universite De Montreal (The provinces largest Francophone University, and the largest outside of France).

A food focused city, Montreal offers pretty much everything you could hope for. For instance, on the block leading away form my house there's an Alsatian bakery, Austrian Butcher, Russian fine dining, Ukranian Deli, Caribbean Restaurant, and Lebanese variety store. That's just the first block. I've found this to be pretty typical of Montreal in General.
People in Montreal are the most food focused of anywhere I've been, appreciating and getting freash local produce, cheeses, meets, etc. They seemingly eat out at restaurants more than most cities I've visited, and by that I mean both families and individuals. While your standard cookie-cutter chain restaurants proliferate here as they do elsewhere, it is the family run small restaurants and food establishments that thrive. Freash food markets abound as well.

The people, we've found, come from all over the world, and you're just as likely to meet someone born and raised in Montreal, as you are someone from anywhere the world over. Generally, people are exceptionally polite, and friendly*
(*the caveat being if you're near the universities at night during the bar rush, you'll get what you get anywhere else).
Folks are exceptionally forgiving of those who don't speak french, and if you at least make any attempt to try (especially if you are not from the area) you'll find folks accommodating and helpful. Quebec is a French province, not a bilingual one (the only bilingual province in Canada is New Brunswick). By at least attempting french, you are showing a bit of respect for the local culture
to say the least, and if you genuinely don't speak it you'll find folks are quick and willing to work with you to figure things out. Some genuinely don't speak English (which surprises some visitors), but language barriers can be easily overcome with patience, and a travel book (or smart phone) or a minimal amount of french.

Theatre and the arts abound here, and there's no shortage of events to attend. Pretty much anything you could hope to find: you will.

lol, i'm going to stop here, as this seems to be turning into a manifesto of sorts!

The short version: Montreal is a wonderful, vibrant, richly diverse city that knows how to live.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:30 AM

157 posts, read 574,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
Is that ever true about the fact that in Montreal, we don't see "stuffy men dressed to the nines". I'm sure that Montreal has a few of those types, but I have never noticed any. I love Montreal's joie de vivre. It's infectious, and that's a good reason to live here, in my opinion.

Montrealers smile and are quick to share a laugh far more readily than those who live in some other Canadian cities are. I don't mean to bash Toronto (I was born there and spent the first nine years of my life there and I do like the city)...but (you knew the 'but' was coming!) once during the late 70s while I was living and working in TO, I found a dime on the sidewalk near the Eaton Center. This was during lunch hour, twelve until one o'clock, approximately. I always walked around during my lunch hour and there were many others milling about, including several of those stuffy men dressed to the nines.

When I spotted the dime, I stooped to pick it up and loudly announced, "Oh, boy! Now I can retire!" You ought to have seen the cold stares I got, never mind some of the area denizen who looked almost fearful, as if I was crackers.

In Montreal, people around who might have heard my announcement would have smiled and laughed!

Old 12-24-2011, 10:38 AM

157 posts, read 574,286 times
What's so great about Montreal? The poutine, my friend, the poutine!

I have heard that this delicious, artery-clogging, fattening, toothsome dish is available in such cities such as Toronto, but I bet it doesn't taste the way it should outside of Montreal and most of Quebec.

I make my own poutine, I love it so much!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.