Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:21 AM

4 posts, read 78,657 times

Advertisements

I'm lokking on going on vacation,because I haven't gone in a while and my friends say Montreal is a good bet for a great vacation. But before I decide I need to know, what so great about Montreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 11:31 AM

9,226 posts, read 13,335,996 times
You should probably post this also on the Canada site.

In any case Montreal is famous for being a major North Amercian city with its French culture (that alone helps it stand out from most of Canada and the US). There is a lot of history - the old town has historic buildings and cobblestone streets you would expect in Philadelphia or Boston. Mount Royal park is pretty nice.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:33 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,971,953 times
Moving to the appropriate room. City vs. City is not appropriate for this question. Thank you.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:17 PM

482 posts, read 2,424,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justind View Post
I'm lokking on going on vacation,because I haven't gone in a while and my friends say Montreal is a good bet for a great vacation. But before I decide I need to know, what so great about Montreal.
Montreal has something for everyone, from 18 year old single guys to retirees... Montreal has a reputation more as a fun loving town than most places in North America. Great bars, restaurants, events, and some of the most good looking people (male and female) anywhere...

Old 01-31-2009, 07:37 PM

47 posts, read 200,789 times
Make sure you bring a road map because you will get lost, and a french/English Dictionary. Other than that you will have a great time.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:33 PM

20 posts, read 72,745 times
Where to begin lol Montreal has a very larage network of bike paths along a canal if your into biking. Our bars are open till 3:00 am and there is a very large variaty in music if your into bars. We have old montreal which is just hopping no matter what month you come. There are boat tours, dinner as well as dancing. There are bars and street entertainers and of course horse drawn carriage rides. We have one of the largest underground networks in the world. In the underground city we have our Metro system (subway) we have shopping, dining, movies and bars and many of the metro stations connect to hotels as well. If you're coming from the states well there's always the advantage of the low dollar lol. You dont need to worry about having to speak french as just about all the tourist areas are bilingual and the people are so friendly that if you cant speak french they will try to speak english and/or sign language lol. We also have a great many festivals such as the jazz festival, just for laughs festival, fireworks festival just to name a few. So no matter your age or interest we have something for everyone.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:09 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,747,785 times
The best bagels in the world. Go to Fairmount Bagels or the one on St. Viateur (just ask any Montrealer, they'll know the name and where it is). You can watch them make them, with that flip of the wrist, and in the brick oven on the big paddle. And when they come out, fresh, smelling like heaven, eat one right there, nothing on it. Take the rest back to your hotel with some cream cheese and lox.

Schwartz's on St. Laurent. A Montreal institution. I'm drooling as I write this. Living in Australia, I suffer from smoked meat withdrawal. It's about as unfancy as you can get, and you'll probably have to wait outside in line, but it's worth it. Best smoked meat, in the world. New York's Pastrami on Rye is a poor cousin. And Schwartz's half-sour pickles are best. As are their fries, and their steak, and their liver. I'll be there in June. Can't wait.

Snowdon Deli for Jewish deli food. Latkes, verenikas, good smoked meat too. Lovely waitresses who enjoy a chat.

St. Joseph's Oratory
Old Montreal
McGill University
The Vieux Port (old Port)
St. Catherine
Bonsecours Market
Basilique Notre Dame - gorgeous
Mont Royal - nice place to walk
The Metro is a great way to get around.
Atwater Market is fun. Great cheese shops.
Jean Talon Markets, more earthy and not as fancy but very interesting.

Some of Montreal can be pretty bleak and blah, but there's lots of other interesting places.

And then if you have time, go up north to the Laurentians. And to Mont Tremblant.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:22 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,354,035 times
Don't forget strippers.

Some of the best, if not the best clubs in North America.

Oh and the smoked meat and culture stuff is good too.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:06 PM

20 posts, read 72,745 times
lol mikey you're the first person that I've ever known to associate montreal with strippers. Must be a guy thing lol

Old 02-06-2009, 08:36 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,354,035 times
Just doin' my part to bring all options to the table. Montreal is a fantastic place, and really there's nowhere else like it in North America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal