Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:06 AM

282 posts, read 619,208 times

Advertisements

So what's life like in Carmel valley? I have been through Monterey & Carmel & it's nice,but I haven't been to Carmel valley. I have seen some nice properties in Carmel valley just inland that are what I'm looking for.

I currently live in Sonoma county & love it,but any type of acreage here is very expensive unless the house is wrecked or it is in a not so good area & Marin is worse. I have seen a bunch of properties for sale in Carmel Valley in the 500's that have anywhere from 1-5,5-10 or even 10-20 acres and a decent looking home with a 2nd granny unit which I need for the extended family living situation.

So anyways,is there anyway for average folks to make a living in Carmel valley? How is the commute to the coast & jobs in Monterey? How would you compare it to Santa Rosa which is where I live now. How is the weather? Crime? Day to day activities? Shopping? People? Attitude?,etc.? Any area there to avoid? I am skeptical because I thought it was way more expensive down there than up here but I have seen some great looking deals & was thinking about going down to look at some properties. My house is currently on the market up here.

Thank you for any info good or bad. We just really want some acreage to have a little farm on & some peace & quiet. I was looking in Oregon,then we went,nah,too far,too rainy & cold in winter. Lake county,nah,no jobs, or anything to do at all. Wife is Starbucks employee/artist, my Mom works medical billing/office & I am a "landscape professional",haha, with my own company. Any chance at these types of jobs there? or is it just the rich & famous/retirees? We don't make big bucks but we do comfortablypay for a $550,000 mortgage now & have absolutely no yard at all,so I would hope I could drum up business down there to scrape by to enjoy the more coastal lifestyle & a big piece of property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 09:47 AM

8,221 posts, read 16,736,947 times
You have a lot of specific questions, all of which I do not have the answers to. But take a look at this post which I wrote describing the Monterey area's economy:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...y-history.html

I have a number of friends living in Carmel Valley. All of them really like it. Some commute into Monterey and the surrounding towns for work. The valley itself is very much agriculture and tourist based for those working right there. They have a number of nice wineries, ranches, etc... We have friends on a ranch there who actually raise their own livestock of various kinds. As far as landscape work I don't know? I mean I see people out there doing the work. But I would imagine in the current economy it may be a bit difficult to drum up new business. You will have to explore that one yourself.

As far as the area is concerned it is very nice, one of the nicest in the state IMO. You are in the country, but still a short drive in to the Monterey cities, shopping, etc...

Derek

Old 11-29-2010, 10:25 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,705,394 times
You may also want to look at the west side of the Salinas Valley, north and west of Spreckels and south of Spreckels. I don't know what you will find, there are old ranches including the Dorrance brothers ranch (if you know horse training, you know of the Dorrances

Old 11-29-2010, 11:20 AM

17,645 posts, read 22,683,204 times
Howdy Bodegahead,

We moved away over four lustrums ago, but i always have loved the 'Carmel Valley'. The beauty, sun, warmth would always draw me over the grade.

We lived outside Salinas, but drove over the Los Laureles grade to swim at the 'Los Laureles Lodge'. Los Laureles Lodge - Carmel Valley, California Sometimes we played pool, had a few drinks, then dinner thar. Or at times spend the weekend.

Have a few cold ones at the 'Stirrup Cup' in the Village, & pool or darts, shuffleboard.

I used to do some fishin in the Carmel River & at the Los Padres Dam.

Drive the Carmel Valley road (or ride our bikes,1967 BSA 650) on through to Arroyo Seco. Horseshoes at Millers Lodge. Do some fishin in the river or up at the 'Gorge'. The gorge road would go past Indian Camp, Hunter Liggett over to Lake San Antonio & Naciemiento Res.

We had some Great Times, & Wonderful Memories of yester year FUn.

EnJoy yourself in the Valley Bro.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:44 PM

Thank you guys for the responses. It seems very beautiful,I will have to read more about the Monterey economy. Spreckles looks like a good spot too,I will have to look more into it.

I guess Salinas is Monterey's Santa Rosa equavalent .I feel it could be close enough to commute,but I have heard awful things about Salinas & want to stay out of it even for work from what I have read,but it is the largest city close to there & fate would have it probably the most promising place for jobs?

I have breezed through Salinas traveling a few times & survived,hahaha,but didn't realize how bad it is. The close proximity of Carmel valley to Salinas worries me a bit too,do the hardcore cholo gangsters wander over the mountain & rob & pillage or anything like that?

I am hoping for the family to work mainly in Monterey if we moved,but not sure if there is enough there. I will keep researching Monterey I guess as the commute seems reasonable.

I have also been contemplating the Santa Cruz mountains,but it seems a lot of the properties are mostly wooded(no sun or useable ground) & are a far commute. I do love the redwoods though.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:57 PM

PS Hawk J,how hard was it to adapt to Oregon? We love it up there but have only visited certain parts. Our biggest concern is we are sun junkies,but I do love the coast & the dramatic beauty even with the cold & fog.

I was also looking at properties in Florence up to Lincoln City or inland outside of Eugene,I don't know that the properties are quite cheap enough up there though because we would have to start completely over & any house over $300,000 would require everyone to work at least part time asap. It is pretty far away too,but we are just fed up with not being able to own what we want without winning the lottery. I'm just not sure what to do,but I appreciate all honest advice from you guys. Sonoma county is great but I think the vineyards & city growth have priced these little towns here out of control. I mean anything here in a desirable spot with over an acre is 1million & up with any type of good sized house on it

Old 11-29-2010, 01:59 PM

8,221 posts, read 16,736,947 times
I wouldn't worry too much about the cholos in Carmel Valley. The majority of violence you hear about is gang on gang in Salinas proper itself. I have many friends who have lived in the surrounding outskirt areas without problems including places like Spreckes, Toro Park, Las Palmas, Indian Springs, etc... And Carmel Valley is far enough removed that it is not an issue.

But I would avoid living in Salinas, especially the north eastern side. You don't have to work there necessarily. It really depends on the types of work you do. Most ppl I know work in Monterey, Carmel, Pebble Beach, Pacific Grove, Seaside and Marina. Even those I know who live in Salinas commute into Monterey and these other coastal areas for work.

BTW, we almost moved our family to Oregon. If it wasn't for extended family here we most likely would have. It's beautiful in hte PNW. WA is nice as well. But yes it is colder and has fewer sunny days throughout the year than most places. And they do get snow. Did you see all the traffic accidents during there recent snowstorm?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZCyQ3emQg

Also jobs can be an issue there as well depending on where you live and your professions.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 11-29-2010 at 02:08 PM..

Old 11-29-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaHead View Post
PS Hawk J,how hard was it to adapt to Oregon? We love it up there but have only visited certain parts. Our biggest concern is we are sun junkies,but I do love the coast & the dramatic beauty even with the cold & fog.

I was also looking at properties in Florence up to Lincoln City or inland outside of Eugene,I don't know that the properties are quite cheap enough up there though because we would have to start completely over & any house over $300,000 would require everyone to work at least part time asap. It is pretty far away too,but we are just fed up with not being able to own what we want without winning the lottery. I'm just not sure what to do,but I appreciate all honest advice from you guys. Sonoma county is great but I think the vineyards & city growth have priced these little towns here out of control. I mean anything here in a desirable spot with over an acre is 1million & up with any type of good sized house on it

We've always loved to boonie camp & fish. We came up here to Oregon on 2 of our vacations (rafting on the Rogue River & fishin on the Umpqua River & Cow Creek) & found our forest land on a beautiful mountain to the west of Wolf Creek, in the boonies.

We started out using our generators fer lectric, then Pacific Power gave us a good deal, & we let them put the electric & phone underground. My Dream had always been to have a basspond. So i hired a man with a Cat & a backhoe to move some dirt fer me. I had a pretty nice low area like a big gully that he made bigger & took out some timber, etc. Up the mountain are some artesian springs that gravity feed my home & pond. I had a 2500 gallon holding tank placed up thar I love to observe the life in the waterways, forests, & fly above.

The mountains protect us from the wind. Very little wind here. I love it For the most part we have pretty mild winters here & quite a few weather breaks where it will be in the 70's or up a few days, even during the winter. Usually the colder weather is in Dec, Jan.

The most snow we've had was about 6" maybe. It melts in 3 or 4 days, then a few days later we might get another weather pattern with cold or snow for a few days. Here at 2000' we get quite a few partial Sun days in the winter. Much better winter weather here then many other places i've seen. We truly love living here.

The coldest since we've been here is 10 degrees fer two days, then warms up.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:25 PM

One of my beloved brothers (who is now retired) still lives in Prunedale. He loves it there. Bro taught school fer 35 years in Marina, Seaside, Fort Ord.

My beloved sister in law lives in Gilroy still. She loves it there.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the further details MtnSurfer. I am guessing some of these properties I am seeing at these too good to be true prices may very well be in these surrounding communities you listed,but they list them as Carmel valley to draw more lookers. That video is pretty hilarious in a sadistic kinda way,I couldn't stop laughing,but felt bad at the same time. Can't imagine if that ever happened in SF.

Thanks HawkJ. I just briefly browsed some properties in Grants pass area & they are very affordable & beautiful.Sounds like you guys are living the dream! I am still a little afraid to move too far out being that we are in our late 20s,my mom is in her 50s & has owned rural property before moving to California so she is all for it. We would just have to be able to work enough to pay for things. How far are you from the coast? I am an ocean lover,which is somewhat crippling to our real estate decisions,I would like to be within 1 hr. from the coast no matter where we live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County