Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2017, 06:18 AM

10,022 posts, read 8,646,805 times

Advertisements

Kaskaskia is the only part of Illinois that is located on the Missouri side of the river. During the New Madrid quakes of 1811-1812, the Mississippi River flowed backwards, then took a shortcut and combined with later floods, separated Kaskaskia from the rest of Illinois.

The Liberty Bell West
In Kaskaskia, is older than the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia.

Liberty Bell Of The West | FOX2now.com

Kaskaskia Bell State Historic Site - Kaskaskia, Illinois

Francis Vigo (1747-1836)
He was a fur trader who snitched on the British to George Rogers Clark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Vigo

David Newell (1905-1980)
Carthage, Missouri
Make-up artist/Actor, Lassie, Roy Rogers Show

Jess Stacy (1904-1995)
Bird's Point, Missouri
Pianist/Actor, " The Human Stain "

Julia Lee (1902-1958)
Kansas City, Missouri
Soundtrack/Actress, " The Delinquents "

William Hackett (1893-1948)
Missouri
Actor, " The Spreading Evil "

Maurice Kosloff (1904-1986)
Missouri
Producer, " The Hoodlum "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 09:07 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,505,022 times
Kaskaskia is the only part of Illinois that is located on the Missouri side of the river. During the New Madrid quakes of 1811-1812, the Mississippi River flowed backwards, then took a shortcut and combined with later floods, separated Kaskaskia from the rest of Illinois.

The Liberty Bell West

All of this is truly Missouri "news that you can use." Thanks for that - didn't know it and I do find it interesting. Are there any other people that love Missouri state history on city-data besides you and I, aliasfinn?

Old 01-15-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

The Liberty Bell West

All of this is truly Missouri "news that you can use." Thanks for that - didn't know it and I do find it interesting. Are there any other people that love Missouri state history on city-data besides you and I, aliasfinn?
I'm sure there are a few others out there, hopefully they'll post some interesting stuff they know.

Here's some more on Kaskaskia;

THE CURSE OF KASKASKIA - ILLINOIS' LOST CAPITAL

Old 01-16-2017, 05:16 AM

William Gentles (1828-1878)
b. Ireland
He was living in St. Joseph, Missouri at the time of the Civil War. He joined the 25th Regular Missouri Volunteers and was wounded at the Battle of Pilot Knob. He is believed to be the one who bayoneted Crazy Horse in 1877.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Gentles

Pee Wee Russell (1906-1969)
Maplewood, Missouri
Jazz Musician inducted into the Big Band & Jazz Hall of Fame.

Dr. William Key & Beautiful Jim Key
He and his horse were the top moneymakers at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair.

Beautiful Jim Key

Karl Hackett (1893-1948)
Carthage, Missouri
Actor, " His Brother's Ghost "

Byron Poindexter (1906-1974)
Missouri
Actor, " Road To Rio "

Chief Joseph and Red Cloud were at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair. Chief Joseph died later that year and Red Cloud died in 1909 at the age of 87. Red Cloud was once asked in his old age his memories of meeting with government officials in Washington and he said, " They made us many promises, more than I can remember. But they kept but one--they promised to take our land...and they took it."

Stark Bros Orchards

Breaking News, Newspaper, Sports, Advertising, Classifieds, Weather, Travel, Health, Entertainment in Missouri, MO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stark_...s_and_Orchards

The Year Without a Summer
The northeast and the south were hit the hardest in this country.

https://www.facebook.com/RuralMissou...56571509255145

Old 01-16-2017, 07:30 PM

MORE 1904 WORLD'S FAIR TRIVIA

The St. Louis World's Fair was the largest fair of the era, more than twice the size of the Chicago World's Fair in 1893.

The exhibits of the 1904 World's Fair took more than 12,000 railroad cars to deliver. They came from over 40 foreign countries, 43 states and several U.S. territories.

A passenger train called " The Intramural Railway " circled the fairgrounds, with 17 stops and had 15 miles of double-track.

Over 100 sculptors made over 1,000 sculptures at a cost of $500,000.

The Inside Inn hotel had over 2,000 rooms for 4,500 people to stay on the Fairgrounds.

An 80 foot paper mache whale was exhibited in the U.S. Government Building.

The Floral Clock at the fair was 112 feet in diameter and had a minute hand 74 feet long.

The 228 foot long Bird Cage was built by the Smithsonian Institution to house the U.S. bird exhibit. The city of St. Louis purchased it after the fair for $3,500.

The log cabin where Abraham Lincoln was born was displayed at the Lincoln Exhibit.

The log cabin that Ulysses S. Grant built in 1854 was on display at the fair.

Thomas Edison had his own display of his inventions.

The Liberty Bell was shipped across the Mississippi River for the first time and was on display.

The ice plant produced 300 tons of ice per day.

1,679,000 trees, shrubs, and vines were planted for the fair.

It had the largest pipe organ in the world, with five manuals, 140 stops, 239 movements, and 10,059 pipes.

The dome at the Festival Hall was 200 feet in diameter and 200 feet high, larger than St. Peter's Basilica in Rome.

The Palace of Fine Arts was turned over to the city of St. Louis in 1906 and became the St. Louis Art Museum.

Roy Knabenshue piloted the first successful dirigible in America at the St. Louis World's Fair.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:00 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,869,273 times
I'm not a Missouri native- although I've lived in St. Louis for a while now. I just wanted to let everyone who contributes to this thread how awesome it is!

If I *do* end up finding out some facts not already posted, I'll definitely do so

Keep up the great work! ♡♡♡

Old 01-17-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I'm not a Missouri native- although I've lived in St. Louis for a while now. I just wanted to let everyone who contributes to this thread how awesome it is!

If I *do* end up finding out some facts not already posted, I'll definitely do so

Keep up the great work! ♡♡♡
Thanks,

There are still plenty of facts out there, about 200 years worth.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:27 AM

Thomas P Eagan (1848-1876)
b. Ireland, enlisted in St. Louis.
He was killed at the Little Big Horn.

Corp Thomas P Eagan (1848 - 1876) - Find A Grave Memorial

James Sylvester Scott (1886-1938)
Neosho, Missouri
Composer of ragtime.

James Sylvester Scott

Percy Wenrich (1887-1952)
Joplin, Missouri
Composer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Wenrich

Mike Fink (1770-1823)
b. Pittsburgh
Legendary keelboat pilot who first came to St. Louis around 1814 and later joined Henry & Ashley's fur company. In a list of the Henry & Ashley expedition of 1822, he is listed as: former keel boatman; former river pirate; bully, braggart & liar; very strong and tough; sadistic; foul-mouthed; treacherous; excellent shot; psychopathic murderer.
People like him never die of natural causes.

The Treachery of Mike Fink by Hiram Martin Chittenden

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Fink

Joseph Anthony Roach (1886-1945)
Missouri
Writer, " The Man Without A Face "

Old 01-17-2017, 02:35 PM

On the night of January 6, 1815, a group of people sat down on the hard benches of the first St. Louis theatre, an old building which had served as a blacksmith shop, a church, and a courthouse. In the flickering candlelight upon the improvised stage, they watched Missouri's first theatrical productions: " The School For Authors " and " The Budget Of Blunders " played by a group of St. Louis young gentlemen, the Roscians. Within a year, a rival society, the Thespians, was flourishing. Both groups used the old building, christened " The Theatre " by the Thespians. The Roscians did not last long but the Thespians functioned for almost 20 years. They staged plays, and fostered appearances by traveling companies, complete with a booking agent. In their theatre on February 17, 1818, was played what was probably the first professional engagement in Missouri: the performance of William Turner and his wife, Sophia, in " Isabella " or " The Fatal Marriage."

(The WPA Guide To Missouri)

Winston Churchill (1871-1947)
b. St.Louis, Missouri
The American Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill (1871 - 1947) - Find A Grave Memorial

Old 01-17-2017, 04:35 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,505,022 times
aliasfinn - bravo on the 1904 St.Louis World's Fair information. Oh my, money and brains and creativity galore displayed proudly at that Fair, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri