Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 07:47 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,505,022 times

Advertisements

Never say you've heard of everything before. Read the above story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 08:31 AM

10,021 posts, read 8,644,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Never say you've heard of everything before. Read the above story!
Folks love their fireworks. Were there many mishaps where you live?
I thought about posting all the ones that happened around here but there were too many to list. This link covers a lot of them.

4th of July fireworks cause dozens of injuries in St. Louis area, keeping EMS busy | Law and order | stltoday.com

Old 07-06-2017, 09:19 AM

I thought about posting all the ones that happened around here but there were too many to list. This link covers a lot of them.

4th of July fireworks cause dozens of injuries in St. Louis area, keeping EMS busy | Law and order | stltoday.com

Our neighbors just to the west of us here in Grandview did one of those "throw all kinds of small bombs into a box" things - just to the east of our house. The neighbors across the street were out on their driveway blowing off small fireworks and these other neighbors decided to make a big bang - right next to our house! It was on the grade school grass right outside our fenceline. We didn't care much for it. We're not that...type, though, anyway. We're not fireworks lovers.

The worst one I heard of here in KC was a 9 year old kid blew off 4 of his fingers in some kind of fireworks mishap. There were also about 6 people killed in shootings in KC over the 4th of July holiday.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:

Our neighbors just to the west of us here in Grandview did one of those "throw all kinds of small bombs into a box" things - just to the east of our house. The neighbors across the street were out on their driveway blowing off small fireworks and these other neighbors decided to make a big bang - right next to our house! It was on the grade school grass right outside our fenceline. We didn't care much for it. We're not that...type, though, anyway. We're not fireworks lovers.

The worst one I heard of here in KC was a 9 year old kid blew off 4 of his fingers in some kind of fireworks mishap. There were also about 6 people killed in shootings in KC over the 4th of July holiday.

I'm not a fireworks lover either, I think I lost interest in them when I was about 15.
Years ago, when I was in my 20s, a bunch of us went to this park on the 4th of July because we got an invite from one of our friends. There was probably over 100 people there, mostly drinking beer and smoking pot. The entertainment started as soon as it got dark. A bunch of drunks started a fireworks war with each other, throwing bottle rockets, those big sky rockets, and bricks of firecrackers. One clown got drilled in the arse by a fireball from a roman candle and as he was running across the field with his britches in flames, some people were actually going, "oooh...aaah." The grand finale was when a half a dozen cop cars showed up with lights flashing and everyone that was smoking pot piled in their cars and raced out of there.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:31 PM

I'm not a fireworks lover either, I think I lost interest in them when I was about 15.
Years ago, when I was in my 20s, a bunch of us went to this park on the 4th of July because we got an invite from one of our friends. There was probably over 100 people there, mostly drinking beer and smoking pot. The entertainment started as soon as it got dark. A bunch of drunks started a fireworks war with each other, throwing bottle rockets, those big sky rockets, and bricks of firecrackers. One clown got drilled in the arse by a fireball from a roman candle and as he was running across the field with his britches in flames, some people were actually going, "oooh...aaah." The grand finale was when a half a dozen cop cars showed up with lights flashing and everyone that was smoking pot piled in their cars and raced out of there.

Did this happen in St. Louis? It sounds like us in high school in Lynnwood, WA (just north of Seattle). Just subtract the 4th of July and the firecrackers from your story, and it describes a lot of our high school time! Add several Foghat, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Ted Nugent concerts to the constant partying and...there you go.

Ahh, those wild 70's.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:

Did this happen in St. Louis? It sounds like us in high school in Lynnwood, WA (just north of Seattle). Just subtract the 4th of July and the firecrackers from your story, and it describes a lot of our high school time! Add several Foghat, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Ted Nugent concerts to the constant partying and...there you go.

Ahh, those wild 70's.
Yep, St. Louis. Our cars were pretty wild back then too.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:55 AM

Alton Evening Telegraph July 9, 1904

Screaming Panther Causes Terror

It has been some time since the Indian Creek panther caused dwellers along that classic stream in the vicinity of Bethalto to stay home at nights, and it has been several months since the panther invaded barnyards and carried off lambs, pigs and calves, but the animal is back again, it is reported, and can scream more loudly and viciously than ever. John Kruse was returning from Edwardsville late Thursday night, and was trotting along on horseback at an easy gait, and as he entered a strip of woods in the creek bottom through which the wagon road winds, and was about halfway through this strip of timber, when all at once there was a crash through the leaves and limbs above him, the horse frightened, jumped and swerved, and a huge body descended from a tree and alighted on the ground just where the horse had been a moment before. Kruse and his horse were both badly frightened and lost no time putting space between them and that spot, and the equine's speed was accelerated immensely by the unearthly and agonized screams of the disappointed panther. Now again will the men of that section become confirmed stay-at-homes of nights, and there is likely to be a boom in the sale of big steel traps which will be set in barnyards and woodland in hope that the panther may be caught by one of them.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:56 AM

Alton Evening Telegraph May 18, 1905

Autopsy Held On 14 Foot Snake

East Alton has come to the front with the star snake story of this or any other season. A snake was killed yesterday in the Wood River Bottoms near the Equitable Powder Mills by John McKinney, an employee of the powder company, with an axe after a fierce fight in which the snake attempted to assimilate benevolently Mr. McKinney. The snake, according to East Altonians who were in town Thursday, was about 14 feet in length and "big around as an ordinary telegraph pole." They say further that his snakeship, when stretched out, resembled a fallen telegraph pole in the grass very much. A postmortem examination was held and the autopsy revealed the fact that the snake's stomach was one of the greatest collectors of bric-a-brac in the county, and the contents also explained the mysterious disappearances of pigs and calves from the farms of the neighborhood. The stomach or storeroom of the reptile contained several hoofs of small pigs and a couple of small calves' horns.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:25 AM

Jerry Kane (1868-1945)
Baseball player

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Kane

Deaths in 1908 including woman who fell 150 feet down elevator shaft.

News Items from The Kansas City Journal ~ Old News That's New to You from Vintage Kansas City.com

Davis Jaye 1966-
Fredericktown, Missouri
Actor, Growing Out

Della Barnes (1893-1984)
Missouri
Make up dept. Life With Father

Old 07-09-2017, 06:05 AM

Alton Evening Telegraph September 4, 1901

Somewhere in the Hop Hollow caverns, a black wolf, maybe more than one, is in hiding, coming forth only when he wants a tender lamb, juicy pig or yellow-legged chicken. The wolf has been seen by several citizens, among whom are some expert hunters, men who are familiar with wild animals and who declare the North Alton animal to be a sure enough black wolf, the kind that has built up a great reputation for fearlessness and savageness. John Mullen and James Wannamaker, both well known farmers living just west of North Alton, are the latest to hold a session with his wolfship, who visited their barnyards in the early morning in quest of a breakfast. They gave chase with their dogs and they shot several times at the animal, but he succeeded in getting into Hop Hollow and losing himself. He showed fight too, until he realized he was clearly outnumbered and outclassed, when he led a retreat with ability and success. The boys are talking of organizing a big hunting party and of bearding the wolf in his den if they can find the den, some day soon, and some of them are of the opinion that they will unearth a family of the varmints. Black wolves in this section of the country are about as scarce as white blackbirds, and many people are inclined to the belief that the one now in hiding in the bluffs is an escapee from a menagerie or circus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri