Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:21 PM

26 posts, read 48,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
He's just another Missouri basher Versatile and really isn't much good at it. On this thread alone, his story about Dogpatch is total jibberish, as is his history of the turkey population in Missouri.

Hard to have an intelligent conversation with someone who pulls "facts" out of thin air.
I suppose you, junior, know all the facts and have an I.Q. that exceeds George Bush? Very unlikely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 AM

694 posts, read 1,358,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kye154 View Post
I suppose you, junior, know all the facts and have an I.Q. that exceeds George Bush? Very unlikely!
No one needs to know all the facts to check on the statements you made in this thread and quickly determine the facts do not bear out.

Go to the Missouri Department of Conversation website and read their historical account of wild turkeys in Missouri. It goes back to 1850 and goes into great detail on why the population fell and how the MDC helped them recover. Oh and the Depression is never mentioned.

As to the Dogpatch remark. Dogpatch was a fictitious Kentucky town in a cartoon called Lil Abner. The cartoon theme was later used to start a park, in Arkansas.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:56 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,661,603 times
You seem obsessed with George W. What's that about? I haven't seen enough of him lately to even have him come across my mind. At least Cheney was in the news for his new heart.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:48 PM

26 posts, read 48,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
No one needs to know all the facts to check on the statements you made in this thread and quickly determine the facts do not bear out.

Go to the Missouri Department of Conversation website and read their historical account of wild turkeys in Missouri. It goes back to 1850 and goes into great detail on why the population fell and how the MDC helped them recover. Oh and the Depression is never mentioned.

As to the Dogpatch remark. Dogpatch was a fictitious Kentucky town in a cartoon called Lil Abner. The cartoon theme was later used to start a park, in Arkansas.
Ha! Can't help but laugh at your comments. You must truly be from the Ozarks because your poor education is showing.

Unfortunately, you have never gotten out of the Ozarks either, because that is what other people outside Missouri and Arkansas are referring to today, when talking about puppy mills, "Dogpatch USA".

I know all about Al Capp's Lil Abner cartoons, since I use to read them when I was young. But, he had an underlying message for writing all of his cartoons. " The Ozark inhabitants were mostly uninspiring, lazy hillbillies, who had primitive and backward lifestyles.

And sorry, but I use to work for the MDC during the time we made the turkey releases back in the 1960's. I worked under Eugene Brunk who was state forester at the time, to know the amount of study we put into releasing the turkeys, and know from our early surveys, there were no turkeys in the state after 1940. That was the reason for the restoration programs in the 1960's. We also took on the Prairie Chicken restoration project too, and set up the reserves for the ducks and geese out near Schell City. That was the hay days of MDC. The Missouri Dept of Conservation was a good organization then, and had great leadership with people who had allot of foresight. Today MDC is a shell of itself, and thoroughly corrupted because of its tax base revenues, and the political hacks appointed to the Commission. MDC's website is not very comprehensive and informative and leaves out allot of important events and information. So, obviously you don't know much about MDC to be spouting off, if you are referring to their poorly constructed website.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:10 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,259,371 times
Some might say that you have turned into a "QUACK"!

Old 03-31-2012, 01:43 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,981,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kye154 View Post
Oh, that can be answered quite easily, and it has nothing to do with paved roads at all. Although, the FDA has the over-riding authority, it really does not do its job properly. FDA acts like a last line of defense, rather than to intrude too much in what is considered "state sovereign rights", and usually defer many things to state regulation, including the inspection and licensing of meat packing plants. Mo. Dept of Health is responsible for that. See: Food Safety | Health & Senior Services. Poor states, like Missouri, are really laxed on regulation, and will do anything to attract businesses here, including waving the health and safety regulations. I am sure that is why the meat packers in Wyoming are moving to Missouri, because of this. Missouri, as usual, always claims jobs are at stake, but are really more interested in collectiing taxable revenues. So, food enforcement is very laxed in this state. Same with environmental regulations, agricultural inspections, and a number of other things. Makes you wonder why state taxpayers are paying for all these state regulatory agencies, and they basically do nothing, much less get funded properly by the state legislature to carry out their mandates. Where is their tax money going to? In the case of puppy mills, the USDA cited Missouri for 103 violations for non-inspection last year alone of it's 1800+ dog breeders. So you see, because Missouri has gotten the reputation for laxed enforcement, a horse meat plant would very easily get by inspection in Missouri, where it might not in Wyoming. From a food safety stand point, imported foods from Mexico is probably safer than buying it locally in Missouri, since imported stuff is inspected by USDA directly and more frequently.
I've been to relatively "rural" family owned butcher shops in Missouri with USDA inspection offices physically located on the premisis. I buy from them long before purchasing beef/pork from a local grocery store from a Big AG producer.

There is no basis for your assumption that the only horse meat processing plant in the state wouldn't be USDA inspected, and frequently at that. You seem to want to repeatedly confuse the issue between state Agriculture Division responsibilities when it comes to the Missouri State Veterinarian's responsibilities for puppy mill breeder licensing and the USDA when inspecting meat processing. Completely different topics, one state, one federal, neither having to do anything with the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri