Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 02:02 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I surely don't want to eat a sick cow -- I want a meaty, delicious grass-fed happy cow in my belly. I haven't eaten horse, but is it really so different?
If you eat commercially raised beef you do eat sick cows. Now if the cows are truly-grass fed (and hormone,antibiotic,chemical free) then you know the difference.

Most people don't. Most people eat the crap they sell at Walmart.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 02:38 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
^Agreed. I definitely do my best to buy responsibly raised product, though certainly don't claim to be perfect.

I'm thinking more of like sick, old dying horses -- that just seems like not something I'd want to eat.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:03 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,100,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^Agreed. I definitely do my best to buy responsibly raised product, though certainly don't claim to be perfect.

I'm thinking more of like sick, old dying horses -- that just seems like not something I'd want to eat.
I agree. The only meat I'm willing to eat is bird-meat (I'm not going to list every kind, but duck, turkey, chicken, etc.), beef, pork and other pig-derived meats, and buffalo/bison.

I'm as likely to eat horse meat as I am dog meat or elephant meat. I just don't see who would want to eat it. Have no idea what it tastes like, but I'm not about to find out. And doesn't Missouri have a big enough cattle industry that we really don't need to kill horses?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:24 AM

419 posts, read 1,182,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I agree. The only meat I'm willing to eat is bird-meat (I'm not going to list every kind, but duck, turkey, chicken, etc.), beef, pork and other pig-derived meats, and buffalo/bison.

I'm as likely to eat horse meat as I am dog meat or elephant meat. I just don't see who would want to eat it. Have no idea what it tastes like, but I'm not about to find out. And doesn't Missouri have a big enough cattle industry that we really don't need to kill horses?
This has nothing to do with the cattle industry.

According to Google, over 90% are exported to other countries and the rest is sent to zoos. Also, it stated about 92% were in good health.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:35 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I'm as likely to eat horse meat as I am dog meat or elephant meat. I just don't see who would want to eat it.
Other cultures eat dog meat, cat meat and horse meat. Don't you respect other cultures? Or are you ethnocentric and/or racist?

Old 03-12-2012, 02:44 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,099,804 times
No one says we have to eat it, just because it's produced here.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:45 PM

694 posts, read 1,357,748 times
I hear tell that 1.3 billion Chinese think of dung beetles as a delicacy. Call me racist if you must, but if it needs to eat poop to survive - I don't need to stick it in my mouth ...... to know I never want it in my mouth.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:49 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
I hear tell that 1.3 billion Chinese think of dung beetles as a delicacy. Call me racist if you must, but if it needs to eat poop to survive - I don't need to stick it in my mouth ...... to know I never want it in my mouth.
Nobody says you have to eat dung beetle. No one says you have to eat horse meat. Some people love the stuff, though, so why not go back to doing what we did before 2007, i.e. slaughter unwanted horses and ship the meet overseas or sell it to the transplants from other countries. I do not oppose a horse slaughtering plant. I wish someone would build one in Phelps County. It might pay more than our newest business, Kohl's.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:01 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,247,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
Free Ranging Chickens eat some craps well. Do you eat chicken or eggs from them in the SW part of our state?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:19 PM

492 posts, read 631,675 times
I don't want horse meat, thank you. I don't see any reason not to have the plant though. I do think that they use horses for glue and dog food, but it might just be one step away from dog/cat plants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri