Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 01:18 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving46 View Post
who are they going to hire for these jobs.
Plenty of folks need jobs. I have mixed feelings about this. To me horses are higher on the scale of human companions than other more traditional livestock. I don't generally place companion animals into the "acceptable" category of food for humans here in the USA. In hard economics times as the ones we are headed into some people are going to be thankful for any meat they can put on their plates. I'm afraid plant is a sign of the times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
Has nobody ever had a "What-A-Burger"?
Never even heard of one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 03:10 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,247,766 times
At one time i owned nine horses. Sure hurts me to think of slaughtering horses. What other choices do e have? Kill'em and bury them, Kill and Render (like when they die) or what? Something has to be done.
I can see maybe a license fee to own a horse and the disposal fee is built in to the fee.Thus more laws and regulations that we mostly don't want. Might spawn a bumper sticker."When horses are licensed; then only crooks will own horses".

Old 02-27-2012, 07:51 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,099,804 times
I think it's a great idea. They're going to build it somewhere and why not here, why not more jobs for us?
People are always giving away free horses on Craigslist...can't feed them, can't take care of them, might as well use them instead of bouncing them around and putting them at risk of neglect. I don't see anything wrong with horse meat if people want to eat it. I personally wouldn't but apparently other people like it.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:52 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Well golly gee! I sure didn't mean to mess up your Monday by misspelling the gender. I understand now. It was a case of a woman named Sue being a woman. What does the political affiliation have to do with it or are you just being a Curmudgeon?
No need to be touchy. I mentioned her political bent because someone had already opined about attracting illegals to work. She might have a lesser tendency to do so.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:57 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
MOUNTAIN GROVE, Mo. (AP) -- A Wyoming-based company is considering building a plant in southwest Missouri that would process horse meat for human consumption.

AP News | The Columbia Daily Tribune - Columbia, Missouri (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MO_HORSE_MEAT_PLANT_MOOL-?SITE=MOCOD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT - broken link)

Trigger steak anyone?
Now when they send you to the Knackers, they mean it.

Soylent Green anyone?

Old 03-03-2012, 08:57 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,885 times
I've spoken to veterinarians, horse owners and traders. All say horse slaughter plants are needed. Is it more humane to dump sick, old and dying horses like stray dogs? Or is it more humane to keep feeding them on your place while you can see they are in pain? Disposing of an animal that large is expensive.

Having a place to take them for slaughter and distribution as meat overseas or to ethnic populations here makes good sense. Are those of you opposed to eating horse meat opposed to anyone eating horse meat, even if that's their culture?

It isn't a new concept. There were horse slaughter plants up until 2007; then the funding for USDA inspectors dried up and they closed.

These plants are humane. They are an efficient way to handle unwanted horses. They provide jobs to communities. I wish they'd build one in Phelps County.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:13 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
^I just don't understand how old, sick and dying horses are going to be the kind of horse meat anyone wants to eat. I surely don't want to eat a sick cow -- I want a meaty, delicious grass-fed happy cow in my belly. I haven't eaten horse, but is it really so different?

Old 03-05-2012, 07:23 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
I also am concerned by this:

Quote:
Drugs routinely given to horses are dangerous to humans.
Horses are not raised as food animals in the United States and therefore receive medications that are banned by the Food and Drug Administration and the European Union for use on animals raised for food.
Quote:
The European Commission’s December 2010 Food and Veterinary Office report on Mexican slaughterhouses reports that, “According to the Mexican National Residues Monitoring Programme (NRMP), 19 samples in 2008, nine in 2009 and six in 2010 have tested positive for residues of substances, the use of which is prohibited in the EU. All of those horses were covered by the declaration stating that no treatments were administered to the animals.”
The Facts on Horse Slaughter : The Humane Society of the United States

Old 03-06-2012, 07:16 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Has anyone tried horse meat? I've heard it's not very good.

And if it's the meet of "suffering or neglected" horses, wouldn't it taste even worse?

No thanks.
I have heard Horsey is really good in stew.

I love horses, but I would still eat one.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:56 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving46 View Post
who are they going to hire for these jobs.
The same people who rip the heads off of live chickens at Tysons and skin cows alive at slaughter houses.

You need to find out what really goes on to provide our food supply, moving46 - it's not pretty.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri