Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 07:11 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,099,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Another storm but this time a bit south....but does look to impact a large part of southern/central/eastern Minnesota. Models give a general 6-12 inch snow for St Cloud-Minneapolis-Rochester up toward Duluth and even back toward Marshall-Mankato.

Winter storm watches are out issued by NWS Chanhassen...

National Weather Service Twin Cities/Chanhassen, MN Forecast Office
I've decided to decline and will not be participating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 12:47 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,390,834 times
Might get out to the park today to get a few full swings of the wedge in today after the Twins.

I...can't....believe...it.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:51 PM

Got my little butchery of the wedge in. I'm almost as happy that I haven't seen a centipede in the house...yet. This is awesome.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:26 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,675,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Got my little butchery of the wedge in. I'm almost as happy that I haven't seen a centipede in the house...yet. This is awesome.
So do they hibernate inside the house somewhere? They seem to disappear sometime during November, probably when other bugs disappear.

We have what I call winter spiders or ghost spiders. It's pretty much the only bug I see during the winter. I usually leave them alone, but I start dispatching with every bug once centipede season arrives. I figure it's less food for those damn things. I don't know if my efforts make any difference though.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
So do they hibernate inside the house somewhere? They seem to disappear sometime during November, probably when other bugs disappear.

We have what I call winter spiders or ghost spiders. It's pretty much the only bug I see during the winter. I usually leave them alone, but I start dispatching with every bug once centipede season arrives. I figure it's less food for those damn things. I don't know if my efforts make any difference though.
I don't know if they hibernate inside the house or not. My strategy the last couple years has been to clean every room thoroughly, remove furniture, and douse all crevices with Home Defender and then bomb the rooms (basement, trouble rooms) with Raid Fogger. I think it works, or at least aleviates most of the issues.

From brief Googling research I've found that dealing with foundation (inside and out) of house is critical in dealing with these vermin. Go around the outside of your house and deal with the foundation to keep them from coming in.

EDIT. This link says this:

Quote:
The House Centipede is a common pest in many parts of the United States. Unlike most other centipedes, this species generally lives its entire life inside a building.

In homes, the house centipede will prefer to live in damp areas such as cellars, closets, bathrooms, attics (during the warmer months) and unexcavated areas under the house. Eggs are laid in these same damp places, as well as behind baseboards or beneath bark on firewood. They develop by gradual metamorphosis, so immatures have a similar appearance to adults but are smaller. All life stages can be observed running rapidly across floors or accidentally trapped in bathtubs, sinks, and lavatories.

The house centipede forages at night for small insects and their larvae, and for spiders. From an entomological point of view, they are thus beneficial. Although this centipede can bite, its jaws are quite weak. There usually is not more than a slight swelling if a bite occurs. Most people, however, usually take a different point of view and insist that they be eliminated.

House Centipede control is a relatively simple operation if conducted with thoroughness. Residual treatments of Demand or Demon WP applied to cracks, crevices and other hiding places will give good control both indoors and outdoors. Dust formulations of Borid or Drione are very useful for treating wall voids and crawl spaces. Non-residual or contact sprays of CB80 or Invader will also give rapid control when used indoors. When treating outdoors it is necessary to treat thoroughly around the foundation and to treat the mulch in flower and shrub beds. Demon WP or Talstar is effective.

Centipedes - how to kill and get rid of centipedes, millipedes and thousand leggers

There you go.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:57 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,141,965 times
A daily record for snow fall was beat yesterday in Duluth, 4.3", beating the former record of 3.7" set in 1950.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ6J8fPodGA

Old 04-29-2014, 04:40 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,606,810 times
Very windy again today. Third day in a row, yesterday trees came down in International Falls cutting power to many.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:49 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,099,283 times
the snow coming down over "Lake Backyard" looks kinda pretty right now

Old 05-07-2014, 05:17 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,606,810 times
Very windy, heavy slanted rain, thunder, lightning, and of course hail, looks to not last long though hopefully.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:21 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,675,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I don't know if they hibernate inside the house or not. My strategy the last couple years has been to clean every room thoroughly, remove furniture, and douse all crevices with Home Defender and then bomb the rooms (basement, trouble rooms) with Raid Fogger. I think it works, or at least aleviates most of the issues.
Saw the first one two nights ago and another one last night. Fairly late start, although this is a higher frequency than I've seen in years past (although two points don't make a line); I wonder if it's due to all the precipitation we've gotten. We have a walkout basement and I'm sure that doesn't help.

At this point I'm not all that interested in a chemical solution. I'm more into a mechanical solution There are two main areas of our lower level where I see them, and it's almost always at the same time, between 9pm and 11pm. I now expect to see one when I go downstairs, so I've got a flip-flop at the ready, and I leave my shop-vac plugged in right in the area. This two-stage attack induces shock and awe.

I do wonder where they hide during the day. The only cool/damp area is our crawl space, but I have a fan that cycles on and off in there, which they can't possibly like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota