Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 05:21 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,800,092 times

Advertisements

my current employer offers this for a bunch of different minority groups, and to be fair you dont have to be a member of that group to attend. When you're hired they make people aware of the functions available, and you can attend and meet other co-workers. They do the same for transplants as well. I think its very cool.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:31 PM

539 posts, read 1,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
my current employer offers this for a bunch of different minority groups, and to be fair you dont have to be a member of that group to attend. When you're hired they make people aware of the functions available, and you can attend and meet other co-workers. They do the same for transplants as well. I think its very cool.

That is cool..........

Old 11-13-2007, 02:05 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,264,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
So would you say people in Atlanta or more or less tolerant than people in Minnesota? I grew up two hours west of Atlanta in Birmingham, and I find that people in the two cities (Atlanta and Birmingham) are pretty much on the same level of intolerance and hatred. It would give me something to compare the TC to.
In general, I think the two areas are about the same, and most of the people I've met seem genuinely friendly, but I think there are a few small groups of folks with strong anti-the-other-group sentiments in Atlanta that can make things less friendly from time to time.

Down here, that includes such polarized topics as race-against-race (and I've seen idiocy coming from a few whites and blacks as well as a few surprising [to me] directions), southern-natives against-northern-transplants, and Americans-against-illegal immigrants.

I didn't see that kind of focused dislike in the Twin Cities much, though it's common enough against Native Americans in rural Minnesota (at least in my experience). I'm sure it (like other things) depends somewhat on where in Atlanta or the Twin Cities you live, though.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:11 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,264,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
According to your statement, the only difference I see is that the city of Atlanta is majority black where as the Twin Cities are majority white.
Atlanta is, but metro Atlanta is not. Where I live is roughly 50% white, 30% black, and 20% Asian/Latino, for example. Roughly off the top of my head.

There are many suburbs in Atlanta (particularly the northern quarter) where the percentage of whites is much higher, perhaps 80 or 90% in some cases.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:32 PM

73,467 posts, read 63,572,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Atlanta is, but metro Atlanta is not. Where I live is roughly 50% white, 30% black, and 20% Asian/Latino, for example. Roughly off the top of my head.

There are many suburbs in Atlanta (particularly the northern quarter) where the percentage of whites is much higher, perhaps 80 or 90% in some cases.
I see you point. I live in a suburb that is 79% white, almost 10% black, about 6% hispanic and somewhere around 2-3% asian. I depends on where you are.

As for being a black single in MPLS, I don't know much about that and I don't worry that much about it.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:17 PM

^ I understand. One more thing - are people in the Twin Cities particularly religious? Because I'm not, and I don't wanted to be treated as a pariah for my beliefs like I would in Alabama or Georgia.

For the most part people in Chicago are pretty cool about it but every now and then...................they're not so cool about it. How is the TC in comparison? It's still the Midwest so I figure things could only be so good for me, but still.......

_

Old 11-13-2007, 06:43 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,269,157 times
Quote:
^ I understand. One more thing - are people in the Twin Cities particularly religious? Because I'm not, and I don't wanted to be treated as a pariah for my beliefs like I would in Alabama or Georgia.

For the most part people in Chicago are pretty cool about it but every now and then...................they're not so cool about it. How is the TC in comparison? It's still the Midwest so I figure things could only be so good for me, but still.......

_
I would assume that it is similar to Chicago when it comes to religion, but I have never lived in Chicago. I have lived in North Carolina though and can say that the Twin Cities is nothing like the southeast in the religion aspect.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
I would assume that it is similar to Chicago when it comes to religion, but I have never lived in Chicago. I have lived in North Carolina though and can say that the Twin Cities is nothing like the southeast in the religion aspect.

And North Carolina is probably the least religious state in the South................

_

Old 11-13-2007, 09:09 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,269,157 times
Quote:
And North Carolina is probably the least religious state in the South................

_
Compared to MN it was crazy religious. It was the first time in my life that I had people at work trying to get me to go to their churches. Way too much stuff was named after Billy Graham there, even one of the major roads that I had to drive daily.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Compared to MN it was crazy religious. It was the first time in my life that I had people at work trying to get me to go to their churches. Way too much stuff was named after Billy Graham there, even one of the major roads that I had to drive daily.

Yeah but North Carolina has enough "damn Yankees" to where it looks like a heathen's paradise compared to Alabama. If you thought NC was overly religious, don't come to Alabama (or anywhere else in the Deep South - GA, SC, MS, LA, AR).

_
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul