Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 08:28 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,721,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Hi 2blessed2stress,

don't "stress" over all of the heat you're getting, there is nothing offensive about your posts (and to persons claiming double standards, reverse racism or whatever, can you blame the OP for wanting to find a multicultural environment? They're openly speaking their mind here and getting attacked for it. And with all of the coded language that goes on on this board where people are subtely, and sometimes directly, saying things about minitory areas and how to avoid them at all costs yet not getting questioned for their comments, it's really no wonder that there's not more diversity on this board). Consider the OP's question similar to what it's like when american expats in other countries want to meet and network with other expats, except that in this case it's an american feeling foreign/ isolated in their own state/ country.

Back to the original question (and getting off of my rant), you can find soul food on eat street (nicollet ave / franklin area) and west broadway avenue in Minneapolis. As for multicultural professional/ social networking, I was put on the mail list for this organization, never actually gotten to an event yet but they look like they might be fun: Circles :: Minnesota Networking Organization :: Connecting People to People (broken link).
Ah, but she didn't request info on multicultural events. She requested info on exclusively black cultural events, which is her right. However, as many have pointed out if a white person had done the exact same thing, odds are after quickly being excoriated for being a racist the thread would be locked. As for the person that commented on black parents taking their kids to inner city schools because they didn't want them to be "lily- white" as you put it; shame on you and your bigoted comments.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:03 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,727,889 times
I think some whites here are being disingenuous brats. Whites have always had the “privilege” in American society and the idea that black folks can do things that they cannot do simply is an affront to white privilege. There is no way in the world that a white person, in a state that is 96% white, need to get on the internet and attempt to network with white people. So in such a context of white abundance, what such a post by whites would mean is that they do not want to be bothered with non white people. It’s an exclusivity issue because obviously in a 96% white state….white folks are not hard to find. So it would really NOT be about what they were seeking…..but what they are attempting to avoid or filter out.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:33 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,721,730 times
You just don't get it, do you? How are we ever going to achieve a "colorblind society" if people keep separating themselves exclusively by color. You wrote, "white people this and white people that" again, it's very divisive of you not to mention comes across as so bitter and unforgiving. We are all just "people" for crying out loud. Skin is simply clothing.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:25 PM

[SIZE=3]I am not seeking a colorblind society. That would mean that there would be a collective eye problem with American society. Our eyes are designed to see color…..not to be color blind. I see the different races and ethnicities…..and ENJOY them. Why? Because I don’t attach inferiority or superiority to the differences I observe in color or ethnicity. The problem is not seeing color; from my perspective, the problem is associating ideals of supremacy or inferiority based upon the color. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]The ideal of a double standard is simply absurd. If I apply for a job that pays 200k a year and I don’t get that job and another person gets that jobs……I can cry and whine that it is a double standard, based upon the fact that we both applied. However, on deeper inspection, there was really no double standard because our histories were different. The other person had the type of background that warrants him or her getting the job, compared to my background. When black people say things that whites cannot say, that is not a double standard, because our historical background warrants us that. If whites shared the same historical background and or context in regards to being numerical minorities, then yes it would be a double standard. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]What upsets me is that intelligent people come up with these ludicrous assertions or rhetorical comments about what blacks can do…..but whites cannot, as if it is unfair. Fairness is not measured by simply a moment of time, but rather, it must also be measured over the continuum of time. If cookies were allocated 1 for me 3 for you over a period of time that allows you to accrue more cookies than me. In the present moment in time, if that were to be reversed, ignoring the past moment in time, giving 3 to me and one to you would be an unfair double standard. However, in the continuum of time it would not be unfair or double standards at all, but rather……BALANCE that promotes equality.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]So the way a black person likes me sees it, white opposition is an opposition to the promotion of BALANCE and equality. This double standard argument is simply a red herring that hides a subconscious, if not conscious, attempt to preserve white privilege and superiority. It’s like the same argument many whites make about affirmative action how it is disenfranchising whites…….when black unemployment and poverty is nearly triple the rate of whites. Certainly if these things were hurting whites to the benefit of blacks, blacks would not be doing so much worse than whites in this society. But hey…..if we are color blind…..that conveniently allows us not to see the racial aftermath of all those centuries of racial oppression….and feel a sense of national responsibility to fix what was nationally broken with the help of laws. [/SIZE]

Old 05-06-2008, 01:32 PM

30 posts, read 83,359 times
...and the reason black colleges were started was because blacks were not allowed at white institutions at the time. Now they are known as HISTORICALLY black.....and they never had any policies that excluded white students. In fact, at alot of HISTORICALLY black colleges white students and other non-black students are eligible for scholarships in order to increase diversity.....but how many actually apply? How many want to go...really? There are some, but very few...and these are usually the type who were raised to be "color-blind", but not all people are raised that way.

The thing is that not everyone is racist, but there are ALOT of racist people still in the world...and many of us non-white people have come in contact with too many of them. So while you may not be racist, it doesn't mean that racism does not exist.

Also, when you have parents that were rasied in the Jim Crow Era...moms and aunts who remember having to use separate bathrooms--it should be no surprise that certain values and beliefs are going to be passed down ON BOTH SIDES and that it is going to take time for people to heal, especially those whose families have been mistreated.

For example, if you had a parent that was mistreated by her family for whatever reason (hair color, obesity, sexuality, whatever) and then that family realized they had treated your parent unfairly and apologized. Even though that parent had reconciled with that family he/she would still have memories of being taunted, mistreated by his/her family--while there may be forgiveness, more than likely that parent would still harbor issues of resentment and mistrust, even if on a subconscious level. More than likely, so would that person's children (although to a lesser extent) just from the stories heard from said parent. If I were a betting woman, I would guess that those are not going to be the grandparents that the child is closest to. It would take time and good intentions on BOTH SIDES to try to make things right. That's where we are now in terms of black/white America. It may not be right or ideal, but it's real.

And for the record, white people do the same thing. Here in Rochester, the Italians have local meetups...as do people with Norweigian and Swedish heritage. It's the same thing. For whatever reason they want to get together with people who share a similar culture every once in awhile and do whatever it is that they do. I have no problem with that. I don't consider it a personal attack on me. I'm sure if I wanted to go to a meetup, I might be looked at funny, but welcomed nonetheless. However, I have never tried it, but instead of getting my panties all in a bunch, I choose to believe that they are not being exclusive or racist in wanting to connect with other people who share a common culture.

Anyway, all rants aside, where can I get some of those greens that are gonna make Jesus come back early???

Old 05-06-2008, 01:59 PM

I think that the problem here is a failure at the management of expectations. We have to respect each others humanity and that means respecting that human nature will manifest a reaction, to actions. For example, if one has a history of being a known thief or lair, such a person would be unrealistic to expect others to trust him or her as they would trust someone without such a history. Now, it may or may not be true that the person is no longer a thief, but the reverberations of his or her past behavior last long after the fact....and the person will still be seen as a potential thief and a prime suspect if something comes up missing. All actions produce reaction...that transcends time and space. Memory is a tool of survival and history is an extension of memory. So humans, as well as animals, naturally look to the past, if not to instinct, in order to protect their self interest. So black folks can say things that white folks cannot say....due to the consquenes of history and the past behavior of whites. Don't get mad at black folks for being human and not trusting your intentions.....get made at your forefathers and mothers whose behavior left you with the debt of distrust.

There is a human consequence, physically, culturally, psychologically, socially, economically and spiritually upon a people that has been oppressed for centuries and who still reside in the land of their oppression amongst the descendants of their oppressors. Of course not all white folks have ancestors who owned slaves, but this is a county of the people, for the people and buy the peoples. Therefore, the people allowed the laws that separated and oppressed, whether they were directly involved in the oppression or not. Not respecting black human nature and the fact that a reaction naturally would manifest, physically, culturally, psychologically, socially, economically and spiritually, from over 3 centuries of oppression, leads to a failure to manage expectations on the part of many whites.

No one who respects history and the rule of nature that actions create reactions and the rule of nature that the present is derived from the past and the fact that blacks are human with the nature of humans, just like them, would argue about “double standards” as has be argued upon this forum.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:20 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,119,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think that the problem here is a failure at the management of expectations.
I think you have some very good things to say, but your font choice makes your messages MUCH harder to read, at least here in Firefox.

Just IMO.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:51 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,843,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letitgo View Post
...and the reason black colleges were started was because blacks were not allowed at white institutions at the time. Now they are known as HISTORICALLY black.....and they never had any policies that excluded white students. In fact, at alot of HISTORICALLY black colleges white students and other non-black students are eligible for scholarships in order to increase diversity.....but how many actually apply? How many want to go...really? There are some, but very few...and these are usually the type who were raised to be "color-blind", but not all people are raised that way.

And for the record, white people do the same thing. Here in Rochester, the Italians have local meetups...as do people with Norweigian and Swedish heritage. It's the same thing. For whatever reason they want to get together with people who share a similar culture every once in awhile and do whatever it is that they do. I have no problem with that. I don't consider it a personal attack on me. I'm sure if I wanted to go to a meetup, I might be looked at funny, but welcomed nonetheless. However, I have never tried it, but instead of getting my panties all in a bunch, I choose to believe that they are not being exclusive or racist in wanting to connect with other people who share a common culture.
Excellent points - regarding the point on universities, not only did white universities exclude black students, many were built by and funded in part by black persons' tax dollars.

As a country, I agree that it's fruitless to aim to be "colorblind" and try and just wipe away/ ignore this nation's history spanning centuries - racism against persons of color is still very much prevalent in many institutions in this country (and segregation really wasn't all that long ago and happens in de jure forms today). Even up until the late 70s, there were states in the south that had government-funded "surveillance" agencies (also paid for in part by black persons' tax dollars) whose mission was to preserve "the southern way of life" by doing everything within its power to prevent black organizing/ mobilization efforts and were strongly affiliated with the KKK (many of these records became open for public viewing just a handful of years ago in state archives - i'm forgetting the specific state i'm thinking about, it was either alabama or mississippi).

I think letitgo and indentured servant have both brought some better perspective (or perhaps balance?) to this argument. I would also suggest to anyone that's interested reading "The Debt" by Randall Robinson for a good read on related topics.

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 05-06-2008 at 06:06 PM..

Old 05-07-2008, 11:11 PM

98 posts, read 334,882 times
I do believe the black people are hanging out in north mpls.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:02 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,426,103 times
Lightbulb And the People Say: A M E N ! ! ! !

Okay now, I say PREACH IT!!! This reminds me of the old days in church & the pastor would know & tell all your business out into the congregation just to be certain you realized "he knew" & you weren't playin him for one single second.

Everybody gasped, threw back in their chairs, (prayed they weren't next) & said,
"Alright, AMEN now Brotha!! PREACH IT"

This one was definitely worth quoting & re-reading again too! I'd fallen behind on all of these posts (actually got tire of the same silly drama - but it looks like there's finally something worth reading UP IN HERE)!

I'd give each of your comments a proportioned amount of my own rep points, if I could, but alas the system doesn't allow it!

Kudos to you again & again! Keep speaking your truth with eloquence & intelligence & folks won't be able to help but stand & take notice!

The Thinky Think.R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think some whites here are being disingenuous brats. Whites have always had the “privilege” in American society and the idea that black folks can do things that they cannot do simply is an affront to white privilege. There is no way in the world that a white person, in a state that is 96% white, need to get on the internet and attempt to network with white people. So in such a context of white abundance, what such a post by whites would mean is that they do not want to be bothered with non white people. It’s an exclusivity issue because obviously in a 96% white state….white folks are not hard to find. So it would really NOT be about what they were seeking…..but what they are attempting to avoid or filter out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul