Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:55 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,791,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blessed2stress View Post
It's easy for a NON minority to say "what's the big deal" because they aren't the minority! I work in an office of 50 people. 2 of us are Black and there is 1 Asian woman. Yes, you feel that. If you worked in an office with 47 Blacks, 1 Asian, and just you and another White person, you'd feel that...
I worked in a small elecronics component factory in Riviera Beach, Florida in the early 80's. Riviera Beach, and the factory (Solitron Devices) were both 70-90% black. Never bothered me a bit that I was in the minority there. (I'm not black.)

But the times were different I guess. Now I'd be acutely aware of it. Something about race relations has gotten worse since the advent of what I'd call the "Gangsta Era".

Old 01-06-2008, 09:09 PM

73,050 posts, read 62,657,702 times
There is something for everyone in Minneapolis. This is a major metropolitan area. For me, I just look for things that seem interesting to me(such as ethnic festivals).

Old 01-12-2008, 07:55 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,424,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moncriefjj View Post
That a simple request turned into this long discussion of race relations is pretty funny.

Funny? I'd say "sad" instead... terribly sad!

Old 01-14-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
I worked in a small elecronics component factory in Riviera Beach, Florida in the early 80's. Riviera Beach, and the factory (Solitron Devices) were both 70-90% black. Never bothered me a bit that I was in the minority there. (I'm not black.)

But the times were different I guess. Now I'd be acutely aware of it. Something about race relations has gotten worse since the advent of what I'd call the "Gangsta Era".
I think what happened is that all anyone saw on TV was the "gangsta" and that is sadly the most visible stereotype of blacks. Sadly this means that for the people who want stable race relations won't get them because of the persons who couldn't care less.
As for singles hangout for blacks, I personally don't worry about places like that. I just want to be around good people and not feel gawked at and I think that goes the same for anyone who wants to live in Minneapolis. There is a natural instinct to not want to feel like one is in the minority or to feel gawked at. This often means alot of people want to be around people who look like them so that they don't feel like they are the only ones. What bugs me is the exclusiveness and clannishness. Suppose someone is Norwegian and that person wants to find other people who are Norwegian because he/she can relate to them. That is natural, but suppose someone who isn't Norwegian wants to be included. Shall that person be excluded? I hope not. That would be sad.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:28 AM

37 posts, read 209,721 times
I'm the original poster of the thread, and find some of the responses just down right sad. As I stated originally, I come from a major metropolitan area that is very diverse, so there was never any need to ask a post where to hang out, or get a plate of soul food (that you didn't have to cook yourself), or where to get your hair done....But it was a different case when my family moved here. For all of you people who took my original post to be racist, I have to ask you where was all of your insightful information when I asked previously "Where can I get my hair done"? or "Where is a good Soul Food Restaurant", or "Where is a good R & B bar" ...all things that typically a person of color would want to know....But I got little to no response....It seems that so many people assume so much just by reading a question, and it irritates me...because in all of your blah, blah blahing...I still don't know "Where I can get my hair done", "Where I can find what I want to eat" and "Where I can go clubbing at"....When I wrote "where do the black 20's and 30's hang out" I wanted to know where I could go to hear Ginuwine, Keysha Cole, Tabby Bonet, *****, etc....but again...I didn't get any answers....and it's ok...you guys probably don't know...I didn't expect you to, and thats because I had already asked all the people at work.....

No one is racist people...and to respond to the person who wrote that if a white person had wrote the same post they would have been called racist...well maybe...but not by me...because I'm smart enough to know that you can't one stop shop for everything in life, and you have to go certain places to get certain things that you may want.

Please get over it....

Old 01-18-2008, 10:21 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspryce View Post
I'm the original poster of the thread, and find some of the responses just down right sad. As I stated originally, I come from a major metropolitan area that is very diverse, so there was never any need to ask a post where to hang out, or get a plate of soul food (that you didn't have to cook yourself), or where to get your hair done....But it was a different case when my family moved here. For all of you people who took my original post to be racist, I have to ask you where was all of your insightful information when I asked previously "Where can I get my hair done"? or "Where is a good Soul Food Restaurant", or "Where is a good R & B bar" ...all things that typically a person of color would want to know....But I got little to no response....It seems that so many people assume so much just by reading a question, and it irritates me...because in all of your blah, blah blahing...I still don't know "Where I can get my hair done", "Where I can find what I want to eat" and "Where I can go clubbing at"....When I wrote "where do the black 20's and 30's hang out" I wanted to know where I could go to hear Ginuwine, Keysha Cole, Tabby Bonet, *****, etc....but again...I didn't get any answers....and it's ok...you guys probably don't know...I didn't expect you to, and thats because I had already asked all the people at work.....

No one is racist people...and to respond to the person who wrote that if a white person had wrote the same post they would have been called racist...well maybe...but not by me...because I'm smart enough to know that you can't one stop shop for everything in life, and you have to go certain places to get certain things that you may want.

Please get over it....

That was me and there is nothing to get over--just stating that there is a double standard here whether you see it or not.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:38 AM

539 posts, read 1,924,875 times
Quote:

Please get over it....

Exactly.

_

Old 01-18-2008, 02:09 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,424,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
That was me and there is nothing to get over--just stating that there is a double standard here whether you see it or not.

You are right, there IS a double standard. If any of us ordinary posters on this forum would hijack a thread & post the inflammatory, off-topic, inappropriate, etc types of things that you have in this thread - You, as a moderator - our posts would be removed and/or we would be "sanctioned" or whatever the rules call for. Your role in this thread has been completely inappropriate as well as several other things that violate City-Data policies. I'm, personally, tired of it & the lack of response to your behaviour. Likely, I'll get in trouble for doing this & responding directly to you, but enough is enough. I've tried the "appropriate" channels but no one has done anything about it.

------------------

I hope those seeking places to hang out with others of like mind, wanting a good place to get their hair done, etc are able to find what they are looking for & I'd be happy to help if you send me a DM here. I've tried to offer help as I have it available.

Peace & Blessings...

Old 01-18-2008, 06:51 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,237,199 times
Quote:
When I wrote "where do the black 20's and 30's hang out" I wanted to know where I could go to hear Ginuwine, Keysha Cole, Tabby Bonet, *****, etc....but again...I didn't get any answers....and it's ok...you guys probably don't know...I didn't expect you to, and thats because I had already asked all the people at work.....

Please get over it....
Because only black people listen to Ginuwine, Keysha Cole, Tabby Bonet, *****, etc...?

Old 01-18-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Because only black people listen to Ginuwine, Keysha Cole, Tabby Bonet, *****, etc...?
I'm black and I don't listen to Ginuwine or Keysha Coles and haven't even heard of the latter artists listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul