Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 06:05 AM

863 posts, read 2,784,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Because only black people listen to Ginuwine, Keysha Cole, Tabby Bonet, *****, etc...?
Well, if you were to ask the average white person who those artists were, they wouldn't know. The OP wasn't saying that only black people listen to them, but one is more likely to hear that type of music at a club/bar where mostly black people hang out than a club where white people hang out.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:16 AM

787 posts, read 1,696,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspryce View Post
I'm the original poster of the thread, and find some of the responses just down right sad. As I stated originally, I come from a major metropolitan area that is very diverse, so there was never any need to ask a post where to hang out, or get a plate of soul food (that you didn't have to cook yourself), or where to get your hair done....But it was a different case when my family moved here. For all of you people who took my original post to be racist, I have to ask you where was all of your insightful information when I asked previously "Where can I get my hair done"? or "Where is a good Soul Food Restaurant", or "Where is a good R & B bar" ...all things that typically a person of color would want to know....But I got little to no response....It seems that so many people assume so much just by reading a question, and it irritates me...because in all of your blah, blah blahing...I still don't know "Where I can get my hair done", "Where I can find what I want to eat" and "Where I can go clubbing at"....When I wrote "where do the black 20's and 30's hang out" I wanted to know where I could go to hear Ginuwine, Keysha Cole, Tabby Bonet, *****, etc....but again...I didn't get any answers....and it's ok...you guys probably don't know...I didn't expect you to, and thats because I had already asked all the people at work.....

No one is racist people...and to respond to the person who wrote that if a white person had wrote the same post they would have been called racist...well maybe...but not by me...because I'm smart enough to know that you can't one stop shop for everything in life, and you have to go certain places to get certain things that you may want.

Please get over it....

Did you finally see any responses? Because while Minnesota is dry.....Like I've stated before, it's not THAT desperately bad. Hopefully you ask (perhaps people of color) where to go to.

Listening to radio stations KMOJ and B96 can also help on a daily/weekly basis. There are things to do for people of color in MPLS/STP

Old 01-19-2008, 02:14 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
Well, if you were to ask the average white person who those artists were, they wouldn't know. The OP wasn't saying that only black people listen to them, but one is more likely to hear that type of music at a club/bar where mostly black people hang out than a club where white people hang out.
Are you serious? I highly doubt that the average white person in their 20's or 30's has never heard of Ginuwine or Jay-Z. All of those artists are played at almost every club that I have ever been to in the Twin Cities area, White, Black, Asian, Mixed, or whatever. I heard some of those artists years ago at some of the whitest clubs I have ever seen, way out in places like Forest Lake and Princeton. KDWB isn't exactly a black targeted radio station and they play every artist listed.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:46 PM

863 posts, read 2,784,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Are you serious? I highly doubt that the average white person in their 20's or 30's has never heard of Ginuwine or Jay-Z. All of those artists are played at almost every club that I have ever been to in the Twin Cities area, White, Black, Asian, Mixed, or whatever. I heard some of those artists years ago at some of the whitest clubs I have ever seen, way out in places like Forest Lake and Princeton. KDWB isn't exactly a black targeted radio station and they play every artist listed.
I'll give you Jay-Z. But the others? I stand by what I said. When I used to frequent clubs (black or white), I would dance to music and never know who the artists were.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:30 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
I'll give you Jay-Z. But the others? I stand by what I said. When I used to frequent clubs (black or white), I would dance to music and never know who the artists were.
I don't go to clubs,(and living near Atlanta, I know a few people who go to clubs.). I try to go to parties with club music, but it isn't really my thing.

As for not knowing the music, I'm not totally surprised you don't know all of the artists. Most people go to clubs so they can dance. IMHO, it is the beat of the music, not necessarily the artist, that attracts people.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:13 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
As for not knowing the music, I'm not totally surprised you don't know all of the artists. Most people go to clubs so they can dance. IMHO, it is the beat of the music, not necessarily the artist, that attracts people.
Most club music sounds the same, anyway.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:17 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Most club music sounds the same, anyway.
I believe you.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:24 AM

30 posts, read 83,283 times
Quote:
I'm the original poster of the thread, and find some of the responses just down right sad. As I stated originally, I come from a major metropolitan area that is very diverse, so there was never any need to ask a post where to hang out, or get a plate of soul food (that you didn't have to cook yourself), or where to get your hair done....But it was a different case when my family moved here. For all of you people who took my original post to be racist, I have to ask you where was all of your insightful information when I asked previously "Where can I get my hair done"? or "Where is a good Soul Food Restaurant", or "Where is a good R & B bar" ...all things that typically a person of color would want to know....But I got little to no response....It seems that so many people assume so much just by reading a question, and it irritates me...because in all of your blah, blah blahing...I still don't know "Where I can get my hair done", "Where I can find what I want to eat" and "Where I can go clubbing at"....When I wrote "where do the black 20's and 30's hang out" I wanted to know where I could go to hear Ginuwine, Keysha Cole, Tabby Bonet, *****, etc....but again...I didn't get any answers....and it's ok...you guys probably don't know...I didn't expect you to, and thats because I had already asked all the people at work.....

No one is racist people...and to respond to the person who wrote that if a white person had wrote the same post they would have been called racist...well maybe...but not by me...because I'm smart enough to know that you can't one stop shop for everything in life, and you have to go certain places to get certain things that you may want.

Please get over it....

There is a guy named Curtis at H Design in Uptown and he is an AA hair genius.

As far networking, I have only been to one First Fridays, but heard they are getting better. One of my girlfriends goes to the NBMA networking events which I have heard are not as great as say Chicago/DC, but okay. JD Hoyt's on Friday's for Happy Hour. The Red Dragon and Rudolph's uptown are where I have seen alot of young AA singles. If you are a member of a black sorority I would contact the grad chapter. If not, find a friend who is part of a grad chapter. I have heard the Urban League is a good place for networking although I have never been.

Soul Food????? When you find out let me know!!! I am from TN and am very frustrated with the options here. I dont think there is any, but a good substitute for me has been ethiopian/carribean....at the very least Famous Dave's.

I live in Rochester so it could be worse for you. I find Minneapolis to be a Mecca for diversity compared to here. I drive to Minneapolis so much I should have an additional residence there. All in all I think Minneapolis is a good city for AA as long as you are open to expanding your interests which is what I have had to do--and glad I did. However, I definitely have my days where I just want some doggone chicken n waffles with some greens and macaroni and cheese after going to a club that has given me my gutterbutt southern rap fix in an environment that is not gutterbutt in itself---no such luck in MN. My alternative is potluck it with my friends and turn it into a house party

Old 05-03-2008, 10:18 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,108,064 times
Quote:

Please get over it....
#1. Golfgal wasn't insinuating that anyone was racist. She pointed out that there is a DOUBLE STANDARD in our hypocritical, politically correct society. I thought the same thing when I read your original post. I didn't think you were being racist at all, but I noted the double standard. If a white person did ask a question like that, it would be perceived as racist. But if any other ethnic group does it, it's okay. I refuse to say "minority" because it gets used as an excuse for people to complain about their bad lives and blame it on other people. (A quote, by the way, from my professional black friends.)

#2. Before anyone goes off on me for point #1, know that I have many black friends, professional and not. It's only the non-professional ones that play the "minority" card. They've told me that most blacks use the "minority" card as an excuse for what's wrong in their lives. (Note that I am not saying you are doing that. I am giving you legitimate examples from my black friends.) I have lived in many different countries, including Zambia, where I was the only white person around for months on end. (By the way, I never complained about being a minority there, either.)

#3. You want soul food? Big E's on Nicollet closed down, which is a shame because they had the best. The next best place is my house. I make greens so good they'll bring Jesus back early. Being that that isn't an option for most people, a Google search produced these results from CitySearch: Best of the Twin Cities. I'm not sure how many of them are still open, but if West Indies Soul still is, you'll love it. Sunday is their best soul food day. You'll have to bus your own table, but the meals are affordable and worth it!

#4. I called one of my closest friends, a professional black woman, and asked her your three questions. She gets her hair done at The Quick on Grant Street and Nicollet Avenue. She won't go anywhere else but said that her friends all go to different places and love them, so it's all personal preference. The Quick only does hair, so it's not a full service salon. There's one on Hennepin Avenue and 12th that's a bit more upscale that one of her friends really likes. It's called VIP Salon.

As for best soul food restaurant, she said there is no such place but my house. But, try West Indies Soul on Sundays.

As for clubbing, that's not my area of expertise. I don't go to bars. I asked my friend your question as you wrote it (and I didn't give her any commentary on this thread other than to say, "A friend of mine online wants to know...") She said that all the clubs downtown Minneapolis play the kind of music you mention. She said if you're looking for a more professional clientele, then you should try Bellanote. It's more upscale. She said there's another new club "downtown across from Block E" that you might like, but couldn't remember the name of it.

#5. And finally, you said something to the effect that white people (or non-minorities, which basically means white) can't understand what it's like unless they've been in your position. Again, I have been. But what many blacks (or other ethnic groups) don't seem to grasp, consider or care about, is that there IS a double standard when it comes to race relations. Tolerance is supposed to be all about accepting other cultures, so why is it still okay to disparage whites in society? Where's the tolerance in that? If whites tried to start a Whites Only college (like there are for blacks) or a group that looks out for the interests of white people (like the NAACP does for blacks) then they WOULD be called racist. But, because different ethnic groups are considered "minorities," it's okay for them? DOUBLE STANDARD. This is what many "minorities" don't seem to be able to see. It's like the homosexual community that rages against Christians for not being accepting of their lifestyle but why shouldn't the homosexual have to be tolerant of the Christian? Double Standard. Unless a person is a white Christian, they'll never understand how much intolerance and persecution they have to live with either. (And before I get flamed for that, I have friends who are homosexuals, too.)

So, America has more white people than black people. Does that have to be anyone's fault? Do whites have to be ashamed? Does anyone complain that Africa has more black people than white people? Does anyone complain that Europe has more white people than black people? How about the Japanese in Japan or the Asians in Asia? No, it's only in America. And, the last I heard, the number of blacks and hispanics in this country are nearing equal proportions to whites. So much so that blacks were considered NOT to technically be a "minority" anymore. It all depends on where EACH PERSON chooses to live. There are many cities in the US that are predominantly black, asian, hispanic, etc.,

I have nothing against any person of any color or background. The friends in my life are proof of that. So, before you dismiss anything I have said, just remember that my thoughts and opinions are just as valid as yours.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:09 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,832,223 times
Hi 2blessed2stress,

don't "stress" over all of the heat you're getting, there is nothing offensive about your posts (and to persons claiming double standards, reverse racism or whatever, can you blame the OP for wanting to find a multicultural environment? They're openly speaking their mind here and getting attacked for it. And with all of the coded language that goes on on this board where people are subtely, and sometimes directly, saying things about minitory areas and how to avoid them at all costs yet not getting questioned for their comments, it's really no wonder that there's not more diversity on this board). Consider the OP's question similar to what it's like when american expats in other countries want to meet and network with other expats, except that in this case it's an american feeling foreign/ isolated in their own state/ country.

Back to the original question (and getting off of my rant), you can find soul food on eat street (nicollet ave / franklin area) and west broadway avenue in Minneapolis. As for multicultural professional/ social networking, I was put on the mail list for this organization, never actually gotten to an event yet but they look like they might be fun: Circles :: Minnesota Networking Organization :: Connecting People to People (broken link).

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 05-03-2008 at 05:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul