Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:40 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,530,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedershack View Post
i understand the point of doing what he is wanting to do, its no different than what any other person in office has done with creating stimulus packages. i guess at the very least they will employ someon. i dont like tax rebates. if you are going to do something with the economy like stimulus then at least employ someone to make the country a better place.
I do not like "managing" the economy at all. Either party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 07:51 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,400,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The efforts may not work , it may be too late , however , a stimulus plan that puts people to work , is agreed by both parties as something we must do , NOW !
I'm afraid that the people who would be put to work, would only be mining the Treasury Department's Scatological Reserves.

Last edited by ergohead; 01-13-2009 at 08:08 PM..

Old 01-13-2009, 07:52 PM

14 posts, read 23,261 times
i am a huge fan of buying american made products. i currently live in the south because i am military. no i didnt join to fight in the war, or because the economy is terrible. i didnt to get the gi bill so i could afford college. i will be back home in 7 months after 4 yrs of this. but back to the south. i think they have forgotten what america is or they never knew. no one buys anything american here i mean no one. they love their walmarts why because its cheap. i have seen countless hondas, toyotas with "i am an american" novelty license plates on the front. if that isnt a slap in the face to america i dont know what is. there is so much truth to that bumper sticker i think goes something like "unemployed, keep buying foreign". i say we start making new factories that make pens, candles, plates, etc... back here. i mean how hard is it to make these things. we have the space and the empty buildings for it.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:12 PM

8,733 posts, read 16,025,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I'm afraid that the people who would be put to work, would only be mining the Treasury Department's Scatological Reserve.
I agree , things have gone too far , to go back. The Gold Standard is one way , to start over. What ever is done now , ( stimulus ) it will be stop gap, however , that is all that we can expect to see , until , the awaking , and total collapse . The question is , how long Can we go on as we are going ?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:16 PM

Damn! Here's in informative website: Gold Reserves by Country (http://www.globalfirepower.com/list_gold_reserves.asp - broken link)

Comments?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:32 PM

8,733 posts, read 16,025,253 times
Quote:
Damn! Here's in informative website: Gold Reserves by Country (http://www.globalfirepower.com/list_gold_reserves.asp - broken link)

Comments?
If India and China got together , they would be unstoppable ! Interesting statistics. The problem is ( for now ) , both Countries depend on the US to buy their products......thats the only strength we seem to have left .

Old 01-13-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
What ever is done now , ( stimulus ) it will be stop gap, however , that is all that we can expect to see , until , the awaking , and total collapse .
It appears to me that the collapse will come BEFORE the awakening - Or that it ALREADY HAS come before the awakening.

Well, if the world starts over with gold as its value, the U.S. would go from here GDP Purchasing Power Parity by Country
to here Total Reserves of Foreign Exchange and Gold per Country in buying power. That is, if it's done nice and peaceful.

So, if Baracko's stimulus package involves repairing the infrastructure, the good citizens of the U.S. may end up being repairmen/repairwomen for Chinese assets. Well, what the hell - I've janitored IBM and SAFECO buildings without owning them - and was glad to have the contracts. Will things change that much? For whom?

If it remains true that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, then those Communist Chinese Capitalists will own us. How did they, of all people, get to be such good capitalists? Didn't allow unions?

It has been said that Americans deliberately made disposable things so that people would keep buying new to replace the disposed. It was always rumored in Flint when I was growing up that salt was put on the streets to purposely destroy car bodies. The abused car would then be thrown out in 3 years with a perfectly good engine, drive-train and interior. (When I moved to Montana, first thing I noticed was all the 20 year old cars with good bodies - in Montana until recently, sand was spread on icy roadways)

As far as Unions go, I've heard it said that in China, the PEOPLE are disposable. That's how those Commie Capitalists beat us - they use disposable people AND make disposable things.

Ever notice how everything built in the 30's was built to last? And / or built to be repaired.

I once asked a Libertarian what would happen to the economy if productivity were to increase to such a degree that there was an oversupply of just about everything and that things lasted a long time, with little need of repair. I said, "wouldn't that put people out of work?"

He said, "that would make everyone a millionaire!"

I guess it must be like the difference between eating high grade, organic, free range Amish chicken every day versus eating sugary sorghum syrup every day.

And if today's people keep eating aspartame, MSG, Bovine Growth Hormone, fluoride, antibiotics, Prozac, and rancid or hydrogenated fats; well, maybe they won't wake up, and they won't notice any difference after the collapse.

Zombies are already half dead anyway, aren't they?

Last edited by ergohead; 01-13-2009 at 11:05 PM..

Old 01-13-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
If India and China got together
Here's a thought. If you took the combined gold reserves of China and India and divided it by the combined number of people in those countries, would each person be richer than Americans, as compared with/by U.S. gold reserves divided by the number of Americans?

Wouldn't this be a more empirical measure of which economy is the most healthy? I wonder how a Commie dictatorship like China would distribute it's wealth to enough of its own people, that those people could afford to buy the things that they produced, so that China wouldn't NEED overseas markets? Seems like the Chinese have been self-sufficient for a very long time. Do they really NEED foreign markets? I hope this whole Capitalist Competition isn't just a game to establish ideological supremacy. China goes Capitalist to force America to go Communist? Baracko's crew has been throwing the term, "Communitarian", about lately. Gee, should the Libertarians change their name to Libertists to accomplish the same inverse copy-crap-do? I've never been one to be easily fooled, or impressed, by semantic manipulations - like the kind the Politically Correct are so fond to deploy. (Job challenged Americans?) "Unemployed" suits me just fine, thank you.

Would, or does, each country purposely kill off their own people to increase its economic advantage? - Or use mutually consented war to shift blame?

I read that in Hitler's Germany, the German people created a huge and abundant inventory of things that just about everyone wanted to buy - except for one thing - food. I read that all other nations boycotted German-made things, and no one would sell or trade them food. I read that Russia couldn't produce enough food to feed its people, either. At that time, under FDR, America was dumping milk into the Mississippi River to keep milk prices up, to keep dairies in business (You go Wisconsin!). The ensuing war killed off millions of people. Is this what made everyone prosperous afterwards?

Answering my own question: Well, I guess it might depend on the objective of each country. High standard of living - or . . . . What language the repair manuals are written in?

Hey, I think the English language might be one of America's biggest commercial assets. It is the world's commercial language. Considering that English is India's primary language, it might make for a natural ally. Unless, of course, India decides to be a middleman between China and the U.S. Naaw! They would compete with each other. Wouldn't they?

Old 01-14-2009, 09:28 AM

THE GOLDEN PEASANT

Quote:
Here's a thought. If you took the combined gold reserves of China and India and divided it by the combined number of people in those countries, would each person be richer than Americans, as compared with/by U.S. gold reserves divided by the number of Americans?
Well, I did the math comparing China with the U.S.

China's $1.534 trillion Gold Dollars divided by China's 1.330 billion people gives a per capita Chinese Equity of $1,150.00 per Chinese Person.

America's $70.570 billion Gold Dollars divided by America's 303.825 million people gives a per capita American Equity of $232.00 per American Person.

This is just the AVERAGE.

Now, of course all countries have peasants.

I don't think there are many people in China with no debt and $1,150.00 in their pockets.

And, I don't think there are many people in America with no debt and $232.00 in their pockets.

Considering my own personal negative equity, I am probably a much bigger peasant than most Chinese peasants since most Chinese peasants aren't allowed to borrow.

When I was in Greece in 1974 the majority of Greek citizens were not allowed to have checking accounts because it was believed that if they could just write a check for anything they wanted, they would overdraw their account on the first day. They marveled at my ability to buy things by just writing down a number on a piece of paper. They thought Americans had magic!

But hey - there are winners in America. I'm betting that Driller 1 is debt free and has $232.00 in his wallet.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:45 AM

14 posts, read 23,261 times
hear is a interesting note though. so what if we have gold or if they have gold. its only valuable because we make it valuable. i couldnt care less about gold. so to me its worth nothing. Maybe the intangibles are more valuable to some. just a thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan