Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 12:47 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times

Advertisements

no, as a FL native, most folks do not like the summers here, its uncomfortable.

as to eating outside whether it be 40 degrees or in the 80s... i dont think i'd like either. eating outside when its in the 80s would usually mean its coupled with high humidity. thats not comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 01:34 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Do you personally know from experience?

I've been to Chicago and NYC in the summertime. The difference, even at night is negligible.

And I don't consider needing a coat at night to be "the best summers in the country" as you do in the PNW. As a tourist/business visitor it's fine, and I enjoy it for short stints when you come from a warm place. But as a permanent summer? No. I lived in London, and those were miserable summers. Just ask the British if they prefer their 60s/70s summertime weather or the 80s/90s of Mallorca.

And you can prefer whatever bizarre weather conditions you want, I have to remind you, that you're in the tiny minority. Before you make out Miami's weather to be something it isn't.
Yes, I personally know snowbirds. Not that you need to personally know snowbirds or be one like you seem to think.

And you said "I don't consider needing a coat at night to be "the best summers in the country" My point exactly. Thank you for agreeing with me. You don't consider. Many people do though. The summers in the PNW are not bizarre, unless they get a freak hot spell where the temps are in the 90's -100's. The same way You feel that the PNW summers aren't nice is the way I (and lots of other people despite what you seem to think) feel about Miami summers. Is there some reason you think your opinion is more valid? Are you somehow more important or better? People who don't like Miami summers are somehow less knowledgeable, dumber, clueless?

There's a reason why the hotels in Miami and the Keys will be bargains in the summer when most people vacation (except to here). They want to fill them up because they have rooms. Why? Because most people don't want to vacation here in the summer. It's the worst time of year to visit.

I've never said Miami's weather sucks. I think Miami's weather sucks IN THE SUMMER. If we could skip June to September Miami would burst at its seams. The weather would then be tolerable to that many more people. MANY people can't stand Miami summers. Remember also that most of Miami's population does NOT live on the coast where you have constant sea breezes making the oppressive summers more tolerable. Most people live inland where the summers are on a whole other miserable level. I'm sure my opinion of Miami's summers would be a bit more favorable if my house was situated on the beach or on the Atlantic side of the Keys. Sadly, it's not.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:17 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,152,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldl5112 View Post
Just because I was cold, doesn't mean the temperatures were actually truly cold.

It's the opposite, it's not cold to them because they're acclimated to the weather. Just like Inuits from Barrow can walk comfortably in 40s in short sleeves. They are acclimated to such severe weather.

Quote:
We're not debating that Miami winters are nice, but the summers are not for most people.
Miami is a weather destination. Meaning people move to Miami just for the weather, and they try to figure out everything else later (jobs, etc).

Seattle, Boston, etc are not weather destinations. It's kind of pointless having this argument, the first thing a local here asks a transplant from the midwest/northeast is how they like the weather.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:

It's the opposite, it's not cold to them because they're acclimated to the weather. Just like Inuits from Barrow can walk comfortably in 40s in short sleeves. They are acclimated to such severe weather.

Miami is a weather destination. Meaning people move to Miami just for the weather, and they try to figure out everything else later (jobs, etc).

Seattle, Boston, etc are not weather destinations. It's kind of pointless having this argument, the first thing a local here asks a transplant from the midwest/northeast is how they like the weather.

That's pretty dumb.

Imo, there are better weather destinations to be found than SE FL. I'd rather have 4 mild seasons than the same thing day after day, including many months of 80+ degree temps, even at Christmas. No thanks. But that's me. Maybe if I were from Buffalo or Green Bay, I'd never want to feel cold temps again. But then again, I think too much of anything (hot n humid, or cold) would just get old after a while (thus, prefering the 4 mild seasons). But that's me.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Very true. Weather is a huge factor for people moving here. From October to May. The majority would prefer to skip from May straight to October.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
That's pretty dumb.

Imo, there are better weather destinations to be found than SE FL. I'd rather have 4 mild seasons than the same thing day after day, including many months of 80+ degree temps, even at Christmas. No thanks. But that's me. Maybe if I were from Buffalo or Green Bay, I'd never want to feel cold temps again. But then again, I think too much of anything (hot n humid, or cold) would just get old after a while (thus, prefering the 4 mild seasons). But that's me.
That's me too. People do move to escape their winters in exchage for our winters. They don't move to escape their summers for Miami's. It's a trade off. Better winters, crappier summers. I think compared to many places we lose in spring and autumn too but we do win in winter compared to many places.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:25 PM

this is true ^^^

Old 04-07-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
That's me too. People do move to escape their winters in exchage for our winters. They don't move to escape their summers for Miami's. It's a trade off. Better winters, crappier summers. I think compared to many places we lose in spring and autumn too but we do win in winter compared to many places.
Again, there are no crippling summers here in Miami. Compared to Chicago, Miami is only 6 degrees warmer in the daytime and nighttime temperature averages. Does this sound crippling to you? Is someone from Chicago or New York City going to have a hard time with Miami summers? Nope.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Again, there are no crippling summers here in Miami. Compared to Chicago, Miami is only 6 degrees warmer in the daytime and nighttime temperature averages. Does this sound crippling to you? Is someone from Chicago or New York City going to have a hard time with Miami summers? Nope.

Its the humidity factor. It can be 82 at night in South FL with high humidity or dew point and feel extremely muggy.

It's not the actual temp, its the humidity. It can be 85 degrees in Asheville NC and at the same time being 85 in SE FL but it will not feel the same

Old 04-07-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
That's pretty dumb.
It's not "pretty dumb" it's the truth.

Miami is constantly getting an influx of people from the northeast and the midwest just because these people want constant warmth. Because these people dream about "constant warmth."

Just on the plane from Tokyo to Los Angeles, I sat next to someone from NYC, when I mentioned Miami, he gushes "oh but it's always nice there, always warm". I add, "yeah but I like a break from time to time, so Tokyo's 60s is a nice change of pace." He gives me a funny look and says "nah, I wouldn't get sick of it."

And that is how the vast majority of people view Miami. They come from NYC even though wages in their jobs pay half or even less. They come without jobs. They come without any direction, just with Miami in their eyes.

The other way doesn't happen. I know City Data is some kind of twilight zone.

I will add there is no day that is miserable in Miami. The hottest summer day is fine, you can be outside. Even exercise. You might sweat, but it isn't bad. It's Miami offering nothing else (except the winter) that gets old, but then I'm from Los Angeles and got sick and tired of their "perfect" climate too and would enjoy trips to both cold places and the tropics. The only climate I felt miserable in, not just bored, was 4 seasons. With their winters. Moving to such a place was a shock to my system, and never again. I understand the truth behind miserable and it's not 92F and 80% humidity with plenty of sun but 15F and cloudy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami