Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 07:30 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,945,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Where is that? There are other places than the Northeast. Not sure why everyone has to compare and contrast FL weather and NE weather, there are places like Northern GA, SC, NC and TN that have a very mild 4 season climate, and then of course there's out west too.
The two are presently living in Boston, Pearl once lived here in Miami and moved to Boston to go to college. She is probably sick of Boston weather and as she stated she loves the Latin culture and the weather here in Miami, so I doubt any place in the Carolina's will suffice plus for the fact her mother lives in Aventura.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 07:58 AM

473 posts, read 797,048 times
Quote:
Where is that? There are other places than the Northeast. Not sure why everyone has to compare and contrast FL weather and NE weather, there are places like Northern GA, SC, NC and TN that have a very mild 4 season climate, and then of course there's out west too.
Maybe far east TN. Here in west TN, summer includes 100+ days with high humidity. Not what I would call mild.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:01 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croatbob View Post
the OP is from boston so was doing a direct comparison of boston v miami

It wast directed at you, just in general.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:35 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,902,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I'm in southern California right now, and I'm reminded why I disliked the weather and was attracted to Miami when I lived there.

It's currently April 9th right now, and I have a woolen trench coat and still find the night cold, especially with the winds blowing right off the Pacific. My car reported a temperature of 55 F, and while that may seem 'nice' it feels cold here somehow, especially when you're near the ocean. The flipside are nice, comfortable days especially in the summer.

So it's a trade, Miami definitely has better beach weather, better nighttime weather (for eating outside, for lounging, etc), however southern California is better if you wish to be a suit in the middle of the day and not break out in a sweat.
There is no place better than south Florida for beach weather, imo too. I think the west coast can't even compete. But I like snorkeling (in warm water without having to be in a wetsuit vs. surfing. Surfers would probably disagree about south Florida beaches being better. It's all according to what you prefer. I don't prefer the nighttime weather here. Too hot and muggy for me in the summer. I imagine on Miami Beach it's a lot more pleasant due to the sea breezes, but it's usually deathly still in the suburbs. Right now the evenings are still pleasant, but those nights are coming to an end.

For me, April 9th should be 55 ish since it's spring. The weather we're having now would be the perfect summer for me. I find that the older I get the less I like it really hot or really cold (below freezing). I like it warm or cool. No extremes on either end.

We're all different. We can even be different than our younger selves in terms of what's the perfect climate.

To the op, it's very difficult to make a relationship work when one person hates where they live. That being said, if the bf has never lived here and you both would come down with jobs, I think he should give it a try on a trial basis, like a year, then re-evaluate. If he hates it (now based on experience) then you could look for somewhere that you both could like.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:31 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,154,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
There is no place better than south Florida for beach weather, imo too. I think the west coast can't even compete. But I like snorkeling (in warm water without having to be in a wetsuit vs. surfing. Surfers would probably disagree about south Florida beaches being better. It's all according to what you prefer. I don't prefer the nighttime weather here. Too hot and muggy for me in the summer. I imagine on Miami Beach it's a lot more pleasant due to the sea breezes, but it's usually deathly still in the suburbs. Right now the evenings are still pleasant, but those nights are coming to an end.

For me, April 9th should be 55 ish since it's spring. The weather we're having now would be the perfect summer for me. I find that the older I get the less I like it really hot or really cold (below freezing). I like it warm or cool. No extremes on either end.

We're all different. We can even be different than our younger selves in terms of what's the perfect climate.

To the op, it's very difficult to make a relationship work when one person hates where they live. That being said, if the bf has never lived here and you both would come down with jobs, I think he should give it a try on a trial basis, like a year, then re-evaluate. If he hates it (now based on experience) then you could look for somewhere that you both could like.
Well I love the ocean, and when I lived in southern California I surfed as that was the best way to enjoy the beaches there year-round. Surfing is now in my blood since I started as a kid, I can not touch a board for years and get on one and be better than 90% of 'regulars' but I still prefer the beaches here despite the poorer surf. It's all about the ocean for me, when I'm not near an ocean I become depressed. And here I can go at night on a whim, and dip into and relax. I would do this in California, but get right out after due to the cold water.

Anyways I agree Miami summers are hot, they are not ideal. The reason I jumped in here is because of how dramatic posters were painting the summers. Calling it miserable and unsuitable ignores the reality that for 1-2 months of the year (july, august), there isn't a big difference between Miami and Boston. Miami is hotter, but not by much. If she was from England, Alaska, or Norway I'd let those comments slide.

I just got back to Miami Beach tonight, we need rain. That's the only thing I'd change right now, the weather is perfect. After Tokyo dreary 60s, I realize why I love this place. But it broke my heart to see so much brown from the airplane.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:05 AM

564 posts, read 747,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Miami is a weather destination. Meaning people move to Miami just for the weather, and they try to figure out everything else later (jobs, etc).

Seattle, Boston, etc are not weather destinations. It's kind of pointless having this argument, the first thing a local here asks a transplant from the midwest/northeast is how they like the weather.
Quote:
That's pretty dumb.
How is that dumb? He's right, people move here because of the weather and the lifestyle such weather allows, no one is moving to NY, Chicago, Seattle or Boston for the weather, they move there for job opportunities and/or big city living.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:49 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
its dumb to move here for weather/no snow and then sort out all the details later.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:44 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,468,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
South Florida is the best place to live in the U.S.
That's a funny joke Anywhere where "chongas" are a thing cannot be the best place to live ANYWHERE.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:14 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,945,727 times
I wish the best for you Pear, I guess you could stay with your mom in Aventura until you find your own place. I know you are young, you want the fast pace Miami lifestyle.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:52 AM

471 posts, read 621,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I lived in Miami from the age of 17-22 and spent about half of my time there plotting my escape to Boston. I have been in Boston for the past three years and I'm now 26. I live with my boyfriend of 4 years.

I want to move back to Miami and can't imagine my life without living in Miami again but he doesn't want to live there until he is in his 50s! He is 28.

He is willing to move to any city in the southeast that is not in Florida. He says he hates florida.

I go back and forth between being okay with that compromise to not being okay with it. I have even begged him to try Miami.... I told him I would even pay all of our rent and bills if he would try it. He still refuses.

I just can't imagine myself living in a city long term that isn't as multicultural as Miami. I don't feel at home in Boston and the other major southern cities seem nice but lacking in other cultures besides white southern folk and black southern folk. If it means anything I am hispanic and culturally jewish I also love Caribbean culture.

My boyfriend is my bestfriend and the love of my life and is the only thing keeping me from plotting my return to Miami. I can't decide if I should make a compromise or not.

Also if anyone knows of any cities similar to Miami please let me know!

I miss the beaches, the Caribbean culture, the food, the friendliness, the beauty, and warm south beach nights under Palm trees ☺️
Leave your BF.

There are 5 men for every woman in MIA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami