Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:05 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times

Advertisements

I bought an 06 Grand Touring Miata in Arizona last year. Pretty quick and fast. We have had some fun in between problems. Paid $14,500. with 49k miles Bose 6 speed nice vehicle.

Shortly after purchase a control arm left rear snapped at 70 mph and sent me spinning. I was ok but the rear suspension was completely replaced due to the crash. About 2 months later after a run up the coast the check engine light came on....new thermostat. 4 weeks later new rotors and brakes. Yesterday morning the check engine light on again. Taking it in for a look see shortly.

I know that Miatas are more reliable than this vehicle. Thinking of trading up to a newer model. Would take a hit on the new tires and registration.

Am I overreacting? Thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 09:27 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,533 times
Have you had a mechanic give the car a good inspection? Maybe you've just had a run of bad luck.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:30 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,068 times
Drop a 5.0 in it

Old 05-24-2012, 09:30 AM

521 posts, read 859,776 times
What would I do with any Miata? Push it off a cliff an buy a new car.

Fill it with gas first; it'll look cool and it'll be cheaper in the long run.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
First, brakes and rotors are routine maintenance on cars. I would never consider the occasional need for new brakes to be a reliability issue.

Same with a thermostat. They do occasionally go bad and need replacement.

I cannot comment on the new CEL without knowing what it is.

The only concerning thing to me would be the suspension issue. That is highly out of the ordinary! That alone would worry me about the car.

However, if your satisfied with the repair to the suspension, then just accept you are driving a 6+ year old car, and it will need occasional maintenance and upkeep.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Have you had a mechanic give the car a good inspection? Maybe you've just had a run of bad luck.
Yes the vehicle has been gone over. People say the crash was the x factor and the thermostat and brakes are predictable at this mileage. Now the check engine light is on again....

Old 05-24-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
First, brakes and rotors are routine maintenance on cars. I would never consider the occasional need for new brakes to be a reliability issue.

Same with a thermostat. They do occasionally go bad and need replacement.

I cannot comment on the new CEL without knowing what it is.

The only concerning thing to me would be the suspension issue. That is highly out of the ordinary! That alone would worry me about the car.

However, if your satisfied with the repair to the suspension, then just accept you are driving a 6+ year old car, and it will need occasional maintenance and upkeep.
Yes satisfied. The control arm which snapped at speed had been clearly previously damaged and not seen on the sale. The whole rear suspension was replaced to about $3k with new Bilsteins etc.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:36 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
I would trade it for a 2nd gen. easy to work on, and still a ton of fun to drive

Old 05-24-2012, 09:37 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
I'd find out what the current CEL is all about, it may be something stupid. The accident is troubling, but it was obviously attributed to previous damage and has now been rectified. The other issues as you said are minor. Figure out what the current CEL is and assuming it's minor, I would just stick with it giving how much money has been put into it.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:01 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
As was said, brakes and t-stat are wear items, especially at the mileage of this car. The suspension piece was previously damaged. So up to this point there is NO history of unreliability.

Why consider trading a perfectly good vehicle that you like and have modified?

On a side note, this is exactly the kind of conversation that I give little import to. People say things like "it was a POS" or "I had nothing but problems with it" when describing all manner of products and services. Then you delve a bit deeper and find that there is little (or NO, in this case) basis for those extreme comments. Unfortunately there are too many people who may only read or know the negative comment and assume that is is completely accurate. More often than not, it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda