Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 07:16 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,409,931 times

Advertisements

[quote=AADAD;24474196

Ford? Seriously boys....[/quote]

Now what does that mean? The sb Ford is one of most popular swaps into small foreign cars. The sb Ford is more compact than the Chevy. Remember the Sunbeam Tiger.
I know the Chevy guys think the sb Chevy is the only engine ever built but lots of sb Fords are beating up on Chevys on the drag strips and road courses every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 07:45 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,135,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The big engined cars are great for mostly straightline acceleration but small lightweight sportcars like the Miata thrive in the twisties,guaranteed to put a smile on your face.At all the autox events i go to the bigger hp cars dont do so well,so why not throw your big muscle car off a cliff,doesnt matter if its full of gas as the resultant crash wouldnt be worth watching anyway..
Get a Miata instead and experience driving..
That's how most of us feel but my experience with the crash has left me wondering what to do. I can buy up to a new less mileage model and maybe shake off the memory and I do that when I drive but each new thing sends me there again.

When the control arm cracked I spun across 4 lanes of busy interstate and by sheer miracle nobody hit me. Now with a new rear suspension I should be more confident but I'm waiting for the next thing. I push this little roadster and I love the feel but nagging in the back of my mind is the crash and what else could be wrong with this buggy.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:47 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,036,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
There are different kind's of fast. Any fool can run a fast 1/4 mile when you have 400hp. There is a reason why the Miata is one of the cars of choice for road racing, and auto-x. For the money its hard to beat.

Not true. I'd like to see you run a fast 1/4 in a GTO M6 on street tires.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:20 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,796,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Now what does that mean? The sb Ford is one of most popular swaps into small foreign cars. The sb Ford is more compact than the Chevy. Remember the Sunbeam Tiger.
I know the Chevy guys think the sb Chevy is the only engine ever built but lots of sb Fords are beating up on Chevys on the drag strips and road courses every day.
Maybe he's not a Ford fan. No sense in you getting all upset over it. Furthermore I don't recall of too many sb Fords beating sb Chevys unless the sb Ford was built and/or running boost/nitrous. I still find it interesting you go to any car show and look at what's under the hood of most pre 1952 Fords....they're almost always packing a Chevy mill.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,375,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
When the control arm cracked I spun across 4 lanes of busy interstate and by sheer miracle nobody hit me. Now with a new rear suspension I should be more confident but I'm waiting for the next thing. I push this little roadster and I love the feel but nagging in the back of my mind is the crash and what else could be wrong with this buggy.
I;ve been on the Miata forum for 10 years and i've never heard of catastrophic failure that you experienced and i'd conclude it was a very rare happening if not the only such occurance and will probably never happen again,i'd say if you like the Miata driving experience then keep the Miata.
I would look for another Miata though as the one you have doesnt sound right to me,it could have been in a past major wreck and been shabbily repaired..

Last edited by jambo101; 05-28-2012 at 05:25 AM..

Old 05-28-2012, 07:30 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,409,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Maybe he's not a Ford fan. No sense in you getting all upset over it. Furthermore I don't recall of too many sb Fords beating sb Chevys unless the sb Ford was built and/or running boost/nitrous. I still find it interesting you go to any car show and look at what's under the hood of most pre 1952 Fords....they're almost always packing a Chevy mill.
Interesting that you say that, just the other night I was watching pass time and two sb Chevy powered Fox bodied Mustangs ran side by side in the high eights, but the race before that a sbFord powered sn95 Mustang ran in the low eights. All the engines were the same all 400ci NA

Why are most street rods Chevy powered? Cheaper Chevy engines easily located in junk yards and street cars are for show not go.Plus more old Fords still available to make hot rods. They simply outlasted the other brands. How many 32 Chevy street rods to you see compared to 32 Ford?
And the number one reason more Chevys in street rods.
Front sump on Fords interfere with frame and steering linkage on older cars.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I;ve been on the Miata forum for 10 years and i've never heard of catastrophic failure that you experienced and i'd conclude it was a very rare happening if not the only such occurance and will probably never happen again,i'd say if you like the Miata driving experience then keep the Miata.
I would look for another Miata though as the one you have doesnt sound right to me,it could have been in a past major wreck and been shabbily repaired..
Thanks for the feedback. The vehicle was taken to Hine Mazda and then to Miatomotive. The suspension, links, arms, shocks all have been replaced and checked 3x after long trips. It's all good. The brakes went out quickly (maybe 100 miles of chirping) so the rotors were badly scored. I am not sure what to do. We took a look at a 2011 PRHT yesterday at Hine with 5k miles. Pretty car but the grille (smile) is off but very nice vehicle. My DW who is a car girl thinks like many here it's a bizarre event and routine maintenance. I think that I want a newer vehicle.

When the Miata spun it was a life and death moment. Fortunately for me the Miata stayed perfectly level the seat belt grabbed me tight and we did five complete spins across I 15 and SR 163. The CHP who came on the scene saw the spin marks and said "looks like fun". And surviving death is and can be fun...but not really. The Voodoo comment holds weight and I guess not everything is in a tech manual.

Thanks Veterans Today and each day.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:24 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,155,031 times
Trade it for an S2000

Old 05-28-2012, 01:12 PM

Took it out today. Gonna get it in shape to sell.

It's a confidence issue. Done.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:42 PM

51 posts, read 150,179 times
Keep driving your maita!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda