Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 04:33 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,763,542 times

Advertisements

Last week I purchased a 1990 Miata. It's a little rough around the edges, and I knew right away that the original top would leak. Well it did. A LOT. It leaked where the windows meet the top, it leaked around the back window, and it leaked on either side of the car next to the seatbelt mount. Luckily, a found a guy who was parting out several Miatas, and had two decent tops. I chose the one that looked a little fresher and bought it along with the frame for $175. Came home and managed to install the better top and frame in 2 or 3 hours. But I noticed there was a tiiiny gap where the top edge of the side windows meet the 3-piece weather stripping on the top. After some reading, I learned that this stripping is mounting on stainless steel rails that are adjustable. So the next day I adjusted them all the way out, so that the window lightly presses against the rubber when the door closes. The seal seemed a bit weak, but the rails wouldn't adjust any further outward.

Well today after work I had to run some errands, and a storm system was/is passing through. Needless to say, the top still leaks along that weather stripping, and it leaks pretty badly. Nothing like the old top, but still badly enough to concern me. It seems to leak at the front edge of those strips, and at the center junction between the first and second pieces. It was enough to soak the seat bolsters pretty nicely. So now I'm wondering, what does it take to get these tops to not leak? Luckily, this top seems to be okay otherwise, but not having a garage or car port, I can't leave it like this. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 07:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,389,349 times
Did you fix it? and what was the solution?, and how do you like your Miata?..

Old 05-27-2011, 08:03 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,147,187 times
Probably won't like this idea, but minus taking it to upholster who does work on tops you could always put a towel in between the window and seal.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:41 AM

406 posts, read 1,452,492 times
Try posting on Miata.net. The forum there is excellent, one of the best parts of owning a Miata.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,389,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvang View Post
Try posting on Miata.net. The forum there is excellent, one of the best parts of owning a Miata.
I hear ya, sold my Miata 3 years ago and i'm still posting on that site.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:45 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,929,124 times
I learend the ahrd way not to try to DIY soft top replacements. It is too easy to mess up, or to get frustrated and just say "That is good enough" (It isn't). Take it to a professional installer, they do not charge that much. Also buy a new top made specifically for your car. Preferably from the original maker of the top. A used top will often not fit. An after market cheapy top or a "one size fits many type top is nothing but guaranteed problems. Robbins makes good tops.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:29 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,161,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Last week I purchased a 1990 Miata. It's a little rough around the edges, and I knew right away that the original top would leak. Well it did. A LOT. It leaked where the windows meet the top, it leaked around the back window, and it leaked on either side of the car next to the seatbelt mount. Luckily, a found a guy who was parting out several Miatas, and had two decent tops. I chose the one that looked a little fresher and bought it along with the frame for $175. Came home and managed to install the better top and frame in 2 or 3 hours. But I noticed there was a tiiiny gap where the top edge of the side windows meet the 3-piece weather stripping on the top. After some reading, I learned that this stripping is mounting on stainless steel rails that are adjustable. So the next day I adjusted them all the way out, so that the window lightly presses against the rubber when the door closes. The seal seemed a bit weak, but the rails wouldn't adjust any further outward.

Well today after work I had to run some errands, and a storm system was/is passing through. Needless to say, the top still leaks along that weather stripping, and it leaks pretty badly. Nothing like the old top, but still badly enough to concern me. It seems to leak at the front edge of those strips, and at the center junction between the first and second pieces. It was enough to soak the seat bolsters pretty nicely. So now I'm wondering, what does it take to get these tops to not leak? Luckily, this top seems to be okay otherwise, but not having a garage or car port, I can't leave it like this. Any ideas?
Well, if you can, build a simple flat-roof shed for the car: 6 pressure treated poles to put in the ground, make a 10' X 20' rectangle, get enough 10' 2X4's to make a frame for the roof, put tin on it - if you are at all handy, this will go up in about the time it takes you and a helper to finish a 6-pack. Seriously.

If you can't at least do this, if you are a serious car guy, one word: move

Beyond that, see if you can find one of the removable hard-tops.

In my experience a ragtop car needs to live at least under a carport when not out on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda