Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:41 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,503,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I get that. Seriously. But each month it is something new. Thinking of getting this CEL taken care of and looking for a newer one. This vehicle has had an atypical history so far and yes therm and brakes typical but coming at me each time I turn on the key....yes investment is there but confidence is waning....
Confidence is key... I thoroughly understand that spending alot of time on motorcycles.. That CERTAINLY makes it easier to decide...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 07:34 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,794,996 times
Here's what I'd do with a Miata...

And add one of these to it...

Old 05-24-2012, 07:51 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,028,914 times
Eh, i don't care for it...Looks like a Shelby Series One rear ended a really crappy kit cobra, lol...I've always liked the idea of stuffing a V8 under the hood, but most will upset the weight balance from the little four cylinder. One of my supervisors recently sent his 1st Gen Miata engine to a builder in Colorado, who added a turbo/intercooler setup, to a fully forged and balanced motor/tranny combo...should be a pretty slick setup, apparently good for about 400hp, and not quite as much extra mass as a V8 conversion.

Same time, for reliable power, i'd rather go with a LS1/LS3 backed by a T56 and do whatever I could to keep the looks very very very subdued...and the exhaust note mellow. Till i romped on it!

Old 05-24-2012, 07:59 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,131,949 times
Looking sharp man. Thanks.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Shortly after purchase a control arm left rear snapped at 70 mph and sent me spinning. I was ok but the rear suspension was completely replaced due to the crash. d registration.

Was there any warning before it let go? as my Miata has developed some weird rattling noises coming from the right rear..

Old 05-26-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Was there any warning before it let go? as my Miata has developed some weird rattling noises coming from the right rear..
No but there was a "pulling" on acceleration. we had it looked at twice but no one saw that the left rear control arm had some damage. When that little thing cracked it dropped the control arm hub through the wheel and blew the tire. I had quite a ride across five lanes of interstate.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:48 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,407,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Drop a 5.0 in it
2nd that.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:42 AM

774 posts, read 2,604,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
What would I do with any Miata? Push it off a cliff an buy a new car.

Fill it with gas first; it'll look cool and it'll be cheaper in the long run.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with this guy. The Miata was not one on Mazda's better efforts and while it handles well it's grossly under powered and the build quality is questionable at best. The suspension problem sounds unique to me and maybe your car was abused or wrecked by the previous owner but either way those cars commonly suffer from electrical gremlins and a whole boat load of mechanical issues.

Find a pier and push it off. You'll be happier in the long run.

If you insist on keeping it then I'd recommend a motor and trans swap to something more reliable like the Ford 5.0... It may sound like a major PITA but in the long run it'll be cheaper and more reliable that keeping that car running. Notice you don't see many Miata's with high miles on them. Every wonder why?

Old 05-26-2012, 01:03 PM

Well kidding aside, the Miata is easily the most fun vehicle. Hardly underpowered and perfectly balanced we were hitting 100mph down the coast highway. I don't like this Miata but I plan to get another newer one.

Ford? Seriously boys....
Attached Thumbnails
What Would You do with My Miata?-dsc_0060.jpg  

Old 05-27-2012, 06:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
The big engined cars are great for mostly straightline acceleration but small lightweight sportcars like the Miata thrive in the twisties,guaranteed to put a smile on your face.At all the autox events i go to the bigger hp cars dont do so well,so why not throw your big muscle car off a cliff,doesnt matter if its full of gas as the resultant crash wouldnt be worth watching anyway..
Get a Miata instead and experience driving..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda