Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 09:06 AM

60 posts, read 175,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacGuy View Post
Our three chihuahuas flew in the cabin with us on United. They were carry on luggage and were well behaved without sedation. It can work...I proved it. It just takes a lot of preparation and research.
TheMacGuy
Moderator cut: Please do not post your e mail address. Use the DM feature to contact other members. I might be moving with my chihuahua can you help me the paper work seems so overwhelming

Last edited by 7th generation; 08-16-2008 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 01:04 AM

23 posts, read 72,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
Hawaii's laws for moving pets to the islands are precise and stringently enforced. If you don't know anything about them, you'll want to get familiar as it takes several weeks (or months, depending upon your pets' vaccination status) to meet the criteria. The Department of Agriculture's intro page is here: Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture
Please read the details on the web site carefully - you will find you need to submit the blood tests 120 days before you plan to arrive with your pets - so this process typically takes over 4 months. The Quarantine station has an email and they are very helpful answering questions if you have problems following the instructions, or coordinating vaccines and blood tests.

Follow the process it works great and you will keep Rabies out of Hawaii.

Thanks

Old 03-07-2009, 07:06 PM

4 posts, read 12,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandsunshine View Post
Well none of them have to go through quarantine if they have all the paperwork from your vet, etc. It is just like a 4 hr. delay where they check them in. That is on any carrier. Private or Commercial. Your cat can go right on the plane and stay with you on a commercial jet. You won't have to give up your cat. Just call your vet and call the quartine place. I am sure you can take your cat with you and put it under the seat in a carrier.
While true that animals can qualify for Direct Airport Release, the State of Hawaii will NOT allow any animals to fly to Hawaii inside the cabin of a commercial flight (I don't know about about these private charters) It has nothing to do with the particular airlines but with the state. Animals go directly from the cargo to the quarantine office and you must go there to pick them up. In my experience (I have twice brought a cat to Hawaii) it all happens very quickly. basically by the time you get to the office, the animals are ready to go. But getting there inside the cabin - nope.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:31 PM

Default Problem with Neighbor Island Direct Release

I would like to alert everyone to a major problem with actually utilizing the Neighbor Island Direct Release program. Having recently attempted to have a pet released on the island of Maui, we learned that the only airline that is honoring the program is United. We learned this AFTER booking a flight WITH OUR PET on Hawaiian and being informed at the ticket counter - standing there with our pet! - that we would not be allowed onto the plane. This in spite of the fact that we had all required documentation on hand (and had made a separate phone call to the airline to confirm the flight with our pet). We dotted all our i's and crossed all our t's and I don't know what else we could have done to avoid this. At the quarantine station on Honolulu, after asking me why I showed up there instead of going to Maui, they told us about United. Wish they had told me ahead of time... The vet we were supposed to meet told us that some animals do get through, it just depends on who checks you in.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:47 PM

This is what the people from the hawaii gov website have to say about entering through Maui instead of Honolulu. They've been very helpful.

We have also seen cases where, even after a permit is granted and all paperwork requirements are met, and we send the airline the permit, the airline has refused to take the pet to the directed island and forced the owner to enter via Honolulu. If that happens, quarantine will not intercede on your behalf as that issue is strictly between passenger and airline. Once people have been made aware of what I have listed above many invariably decide to avoid the extra cost and hassle and enter via Honolulu ."

This happened to me. The people at the quarantine station seemed to think that if I had flown United instead of Hawaiian I would not have had this problem but who knows.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,701,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamacita123 View Post
While true that animals can qualify for Direct Airport Release, the State of Hawaii will NOT allow any animals to fly to Hawaii inside the cabin of a commercial flight (I don't know about about these private charters) It has nothing to do with the particular airlines but with the state. Animals go directly from the cargo to the quarantine office and you must go there to pick them up.
Hawaii has no regulatuions prohibiting a pet from traveling in the cabin of an airline arriving from the mainland. It is up to the airline if they do or don't want pets in their cabin. Read question #10 and the official answer.
Animal Quarantine Frequently Asked Questions — Hawaii Department of Agriculture

Airlines do not want pets in the cabin because:
1. They can be as annoying as babies.
2. When the wheels of the plane touch the ground, the pet must be inside its crate, and,
3. It must be isolated at that point from passengers and can not be touched by anyone but the cabin crew or ground personnel.

Airlines had a very hard time complying with these rules especially because upon approach, they have a whole host of other duties and trying to identify, isolate, and ensure the rules are being followed was too much, so they decided to just prohibit non-service pets in ther cabin. There is also the problem with passengers just being difficult and wanting to do it their way, not the airlines way. If the airline is saying its Hawaii's rules, they are not telling you the truth. Its the airlines rules.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:44 AM

2 posts, read 6,207 times
Default Possible group charter

Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone is interested in finding a charter to either Maui or Oahu in 4 to 6 months. My husband and I are moving to Maui with a 14 year old golden, another golden, a ****-zu and of course a cat. I cannot bare the thought of putting my poor old dog in cargo or my ****-zu having problems breathing. Anyone at all interested? I'm in Lake Tahoe, CA but I'll drive to So Cal if needed. Unfortunately were not billionaires so the more passengers the better!

Old 03-21-2009, 11:23 AM

72 posts, read 346,910 times
Goldenlover...did jollydogs contact you? She is working on putting together a charter flight in the fall.
If you use the search function and search "charter to Hawaii" you may find the thread. Good Luck!!!

Old 03-21-2009, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,207 times
Great, Thanks

Old 03-23-2009, 08:49 PM

263 posts, read 1,006,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlover View Post
... a 14 year old golden, another golden, a ****-zu and of course a cat.

I'm curious, what's a ****-zu? Is the " **** " put in there because you don't want your message to get censored? I always thought the dog breed was called a Shih-Tzu. Have I been wrong all these years?

Bob

Last edited by SkyBob; 03-23-2009 at 09:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui