Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:20 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,057,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Emotional Support Dogs do not qualify any longer for the Service Animal Exemptions, and for that matter cannot legally be taken into any establishment that serves food, per FDA regulations.
However, the topic is flying with dogs and it is perfectly legal to fly with a certified Emotional Support Animal.

Edited to link to one airline's ESA info...it's the only one I checked but there are probably more.

Last edited by HiloDiver; 03-04-2013 at 10:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 10:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,490,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
However, the topic is flying with dogs and it is perfectly legal to fly with a certified Emotional Support Animal.
I was referring to the rabies quarantine exemption. According to this State of Hawai'i update from Nov 1, 2012, only guide dogs and service dogs that meet certain criteria qualify for the quarantine exemption, but Emotional Support Dogs do not meet those criteria.

Guide & Service Dogs Entering Hawaii | Animal Industry Division

I'm not a real attorney, I just play one at Halloween, so I'd advise anyone who might be affected by this to contact the State directly to confirm their specific details. Contact info is on the website.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 PM

Ah, but you did not make that clear, your post did not reference ESA and rabies rules; however, you did mention restaurants which isn't the topic at hand.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 PM

And here's what Dept. of Ag says.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Emotional Support Dogs do not qualify any longer for the Service Animal Exemptions
This was my point. Sorry if it was not clear. Federal rules have changed, so that Emotional Support Animals are no longer considered Guide or Service Animals... by any part of the law.

And State of Hawai'i regulations have paralleled the federal change, so that Emotional Support Animals no longer qualify for the Guide and Service Animal exemption to the state rabies quarantine.

IOW, whatever the airline policy allows becomes irrelevant once the plane lands and unloads. Alaska Air may allow Poopsy a free seat as an ESA, but she still have to conform to full rabies quarantine documentation just like a pet. I mentioned this because it is a CHANGE that not everyone is aware of yet.

The original idea of ESAs was wonderful, for instance in working with vets with PTSD. But way too many people abused the privilege, and you can now buy ESA documentation and tags and collars and stuff cheap over the internet, so it's lost all meaning. Thank all the self-entitled folks traveling with purse dogs who wanted to bypass regulations for personal convenience for the crackdowns they brought about.

Last edited by OpenD; 03-04-2013 at 11:26 PM..

Old 03-04-2013, 11:24 PM

Gosh, I never knew they were considered guide or service animals. Not sure if anyone else on here knew that either.

However, they are allowed on commercial flights (the requirements are easily google-able) and to enter HI, must comply with the rabies laws as posted on the Dept. of Ag website. Whether or not they can enter restaurants afterward wasn't really part of the discussion.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Gosh, I never knew they were considered guide or service animals. Not sure if anyone else on here knew that either.
A lot of people did, and apparently some people still do, because it is not that unusual to see people with pocket pooches in supermarkets and occasionally in restaurants who get all uppity if they are challenged on it. I've seen them several times in Foodland Kea'au and KTA Hilo on Puainako.

There have been discussions on C-D Forums about it, news stories around the country, etc.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...ners-fake.html

Quote:
However, they are allowed on commercial flights (the requirements are easily google-able) and to enter HI, must comply with the rabies laws as posted on the Dept. of Ag website. Whether or not they can enter restaurants afterward wasn't really part of the discussion.
My last point was (sheesh, why am I having to explain this?) is that Service Animals are allowed in restaurants (If the management agrees they can be accommodated without health risk to others. They don't have to, but most do.), and until the March 1, 2011 rules went into effect, there were patrons carrying their small dogs into restaurants and claiming immunity from FDA restrictions because they were Service Animals. That's what the bulletin clarified, that ESAs are NOT Service Animals, and furthermore, that only dogs (not ferrets, not cats, not monkeys, etc.) and in very rare circumstances dwarf horses, can be considered Service Animals.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 AM

Quote:
A lot of people did, and apparently some people still do, because it is not that unusual to see people with pocket pooches in supermarkets and occasionally in restaurants who get all uppity if they are challenged on it. I've seen them several times in Foodland Kea'au and KTA Hilo on Puainako.
Well then goshdarnit, get them to sign up for the Hawai'i CD forums!!! They too can take a discussion about flying with dogs onto a tangent!!!

Old 03-05-2013, 05:39 PM

569 posts, read 781,765 times
Just a word of caution, shipping a dog to the islands is very difficuly on the dog. I once met a dog who had recently been brought over from the mainland and asked him how the flight was. His response: "Ruff!"

Old 03-05-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Well then goshdarnit, get them to sign up for the Hawai'i CD forums!!! They too can take a discussion about flying with dogs onto a tangent!!!
I don't know why you're dogging me on this, but it wasn't a tangent, it was just a side note, an added detail. An enhancement, if you will. Yeah, that's the ticket... it was an enhancement.

And though you seem unfamiliar with the issue, several years ago it was already a fairly common scam for self-entitled dog owners flying in to Honolulu to claim Service Dog status for their pets in order to get free in-cabin rides on airplanes and an easy trip through the quarantine check. That's the kind of abuse the Department of Justice rules I cited were intended to end.

The ExpressPass Lane through quarantine for "comfort dogs" has now been closed, but if anything the general problem with Service Animal fakery has increased overall:

Quote:
Business owners are complaining of a recent increase in the number of people “faking” the status of their pets as service dogs to gain access to areas otherwise off limits. Hotels, restaurants, trains and airplanes are all targets. For example, it is a widely accepted routine for top show dogs to fly from competition to competition in the passenger cabin of planes as “service dogs.”
Fake Service Dogs, Real Problem

Quote:
A few years ago I wrote about people passing off their pets as service dogs so they could ride in the cabin together (thus avoiding the hazards of cargo and extra fees). Although the practice is unethical, and makes travel harder for people with legitimate service dogs, the problem seems to only be growing.
Revisiting Fake Service Dogs | The Bark

At least we don't have it as bad as Portland does... dog poop in the grocery? No thanks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/03/us/03dogs.html?_r=0

"We have a spill in Aisle 3!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui