Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 11:29 AM

10 posts, read 38,119 times

Advertisements

Make sure that you get all of your quarrantine stuff out of the way. The Hawaii Agriculture site will help you with that. I shipped 3 dogs via PAC (Pacific Air Cargo) it flys from Los Angeles to Honolulu, but is the only way to get them there in the inside of the plane and not in the cargo hold of the plane. My 3 dogs were in the crate just behind the pilots.
Of course there are the charters, but after months of dealing with that the price was just too prohibitive.
Good luck
Ila

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiheisun View Post
Does anyone know how to move large dogs to Hawaii besides them being put into cargo on a plane.
Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 07:19 PM

76 posts, read 198,319 times
Hi Carol!
Yes - it is on and we are leaving on October 28. If you are interested please contact me ASAP! I am going to send you a direct message.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:40 PM

16 posts, read 38,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsits View Post
Make sure that you get all of your quarrantine stuff out of the way. The Hawaii Agriculture site will help you with that. I shipped 3 dogs via PAC (Pacific Air Cargo) it flys from Los Angeles to Honolulu, but is the only way to get them there in the inside of the plane and not in the cargo hold of the plane. My 3 dogs were in the crate just behind the pilots.
Of course there are the charters, but after months of dealing with that the price was just too prohibitive.
Good luck
Ila
Hello--

Do you mind if I ask the price of shipping the dogs via PAC?

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2009, 12:08 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
Shipping your dog/cat on commercial airlines as "cargo" to Hawaii is not traumatic to your pet, even though you may think it is. Simply get them used to sleeping in the crate that you will ship them in and use a reputable carrier. Continental Airlines has a good reputation as does Pacific Air Cargo.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:15 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,412,200 times
Default Totally agree...

I've been following this thread for a very long time. I'm amused at the total trauma involved in sending pets to Hawaii on commercial flights 'in cargo'. all the worries are only hype. The Airlines take great care to ensure a safe flight and comfortable conditions for animals. If one's paperwork is in order there are no worries. If pets are elderly or in poor health they shouldn't be moved anyway. The rules and regulations are in place and will remain inplace to continue to ensure our Islands remain rabies free. Private charter or not, all pets still land in Honolulu for clearance, still must remain in their kennels while at Honolulu airport and still must present all appropriate paperwork before being cleared. The only difference, I believe, is about $5,000.00,huh? I will be interested to see how this all plays out w/serious follow-up from all passengers.
Koale

Last edited by Koale; 10-04-2009 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: more thoughts...

Old 10-04-2009, 10:01 AM

292 posts, read 949,088 times
I believe pets no longer have to land only in Honolulu. .they can fly directly to Kahului, Lihue or Kona but there is additional red tape involving getting a local vet on the chosen island as part of the protocol..

Old 10-04-2009, 10:44 AM

The worries and trauma involved in flying pets in cargo is NOT all hype. There were 4 deaths just in August. A 5 year old Golden Retriever (presumably young and healthy), a French Bulldog (flat faced dogs should NEVER, EVER go in cargo!!!), a 7 year old cat died of heatstroke in cargo (don't really consider 7 for a cat to be elderly), and a dog died flying from Honolulu to Seattle. And these are just the deaths that were reported! There are plenty of breeders who ship animals that die, but those don't get reported due to loopholes. I grant that many animals fly every year in cargo without incident, but are you really willing to take the risk?

As far as elderly pets, what would you have people do with their elderly pets? Leave them behind? Drop them off at a shelter? That's ridiculous! As long as proper care and concern is given to their well being and smooth transition, they do great! My dog is almost 18. This will be his 14th move. He has been to 2 countries and traveled in 26 states so far. He loves to travel. But I would never risk his life by putting him in cargo. And leaving him behind is not an option.

Thankfully there are many people out there who feel the same way. We have a bunch of elderly and/or flat faced dogs ranging from 8 lbs to 130 lbs on our flight. They will be cage free until we land in Honolulu. I can't wait!

We do have a little room left if there is anyone else who would like to join us. Departure is October 28.

Koale - I am not sure what type of follow-up you are looking for...

Old 10-08-2009, 10:53 AM

Just to let you know... we now also have a connecting charter flight going to Maui. So if you are heading to Maui with your dogs, please let me know. We will depart Van Nuys, CA on October 28, stop in Honolulu and then some passengers will continue on to Maui. Good deal! Only a little room left.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:17 PM

1 posts, read 6,367 times
I believe this was posted last year, but giving it a try. Looking to move to Maui in the next six months and was interested in the travel arrangements you were speaking of. My baby is a 11 year old, 80lb, hound mix that I am worried sick about moving. Any info. would be greatly appricatied.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 7,798 times
Where are you moving from? I'm moving to Maui in October 2010 with 3 dogs (senior) and a cat. I'm stressed too but I have heard that United will fly pets directly to Maui and as long as they have their paperwork in order they can be cleared at the airport and released. I spoke with a local vet there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui