Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2023, 05:29 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Braintree doesn't seem great to me. I guess it's the redline and mall that turn me off.

That stuff is a sell for many people though. The mall is on the far edge of town, so it only impacts so many residents. At the same time, it's convenient to have nearby and it pays a lot of taxes to the town. The T is HUGE for people who commute into Boston. While Weymouth feels no less crowded, it lacks some of these important advantages that people pay a premium for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 05:31 PM

3,623 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That stuff is a sell for many people though. The mall is on the far edge of town, so it only impacts so many residents. At the same time, it's convenient to have nearby and it pays a lot of taxes to the town. The T is HUGE for people who commute into Boston. While Weymouth feels no less crowded, it lacks some of these important advantages that people pay a premium for.
The whole south shore is overcrowded unless you are lucky enough to have a 1+ acre lot and barely have to leave your property! lol

Old 11-26-2023, 05:34 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
The whole south shore is overcrowded unless you are lucky enough to have a 1+ acre lot and barely have to leave your property! lol

A lot of it is, at least the upper South Shore. That's where the appeal of Braintree comes into play, at least you can "get there from here"...

Old 11-26-2023, 05:46 PM

16,407 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I live on the south shore and it doesn't feel crowded to me. Milton on the other hand is a different story. There are lots of woods where I am not to mention the ocean. Not crowding of houses

Old 11-26-2023, 06:35 PM

3,623 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I live on the south shore and it doesn't feel crowded to me. Milton on the other hand is a different story. There are lots of woods where I am not to mention the ocean. Not crowding of houses
Do you get out much? Not trying to be sarcastic. I lived on the south shore and couldn't wait to move. Traffic is always an absolute nightmare...route 3 is probably the worst or in the top 3 worst stretches of highway throughout the whole state. Secondary roads are also highly congested all the time.

Old 11-26-2023, 07:36 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Do you get out much? Not trying to be sarcastic. I lived on the south shore and couldn't wait to move. Traffic is always an absolute nightmare...route 3 is probably the worst or in the top 3 worst stretches of highway throughout the whole state. Secondary roads are also highly congested all the time.
Well I wfh but yes I do get out. The farthest north I go for the most part is hingham. I couldn't wait to get out of Milton and Dorchester. I can't day I sit In nightmare traffic unless I'm headed into Boston. Occasionally there's traffic at the hingham derby st exit. But that's all I experience. Traffic is on my hate list also so I would live in a place where I had to deal with it. I find north of Boston and metro west to be the worst !

Old 11-27-2023, 06:04 AM

364 posts, read 141,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
https://www.redfin.com/MA/Blackstone.../home/16473636

How about this one in Blackstone. They bought it in Sept 2021 for 600k, and then tried putting it back on the market almost exactly 2 years later at 800k. Cut the price to 700k a week ago.

It's nice at least. I wonder though if this is commute related as to why they are selling.
I could see this being the case of someone convincing themselves they could live out there in order to snag a huge house. Then realizing that it's not as great as they thought it might be and waiting 2 years so they could sell and avoid capital gains (if any are actually realized). That's my personal guess - they bought it, didn't like living out there, and decided to sell and move back closer.

Old 11-27-2023, 06:27 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
Recent $600K over list price sale in Westwood! I haven't seen anything go for this much over list in a long time and find it hard to believe any good realtor would intentionally be pricing their clients home by this much under market value just to drive interest up. 10 Old Stone Rd, Westwood, MA 02090 | Zillow
Previous owners made almost a full $1M profit in their 6 yrs of owning the place.
A realtor friend of mine said he advised a client to bid $2 million on this home and thought that was high.

This sort of reminds me of point MikePRU made (in the discussion about hiring a seller agent vs FSBO) about getting as many potential buyers as you can because all you need is one to throw out a crazy number. In this case, potentially getting an additional $400k in value compared to my friend's client's $2 million offer.

Old 11-27-2023, 06:51 AM

364 posts, read 141,521 times
Quote:
Recent $600K over list price sale in Westwood! I haven't seen anything go for this much over list in a long time and find it hard to believe any good realtor would intentionally be pricing their clients home by this much under market value just to drive interest up. 10 Old Stone Rd, Westwood, MA 02090 | Zillow
Previous owners made almost a full $1M profit in their 6 yrs of owning the place.
So, I don't think this is a 2.4M house (although someone clearly does). However, it's in one of the nicest areas of Westwood, on a quiet street, near the Dover line. House is large, offers a nice yard, solitude, and seems to be in good condition - even if not really my style. So I definitely get the appeal, but I'm wondering what the buyer's thought process was. Were they just desperate? Did they love this house more than any other they've seen? Did they HAVE to be in that neighborhood?

Old 11-27-2023, 12:49 PM

Came across these two interesting ones:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...57177124_zpid/

100k over asking...kitchen is pretty dated, really nothing special

this one is a 2 bdr that sold for 470k in 2019...now it just sold for 759k in 2023.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...57176068_zpid/

looks like nothing was done to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts